What's new

What about this razor?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Anyone tell me about this razor. I know it is a pretty generic type of Gillette from the 70's. Just bought it in ebay for about $10.00. When I receive it I'll post my thoughts. Any suggestions what type of blade would go well with this type of razor

You got yourself a black-handled, flare-tipped Super Speed. Take a look under the head and there should be a date code that reads with a single letter and a single number (e.g., F4). I can't read a code on the photo: if you can post that number then it is possible to offer a specific year and quarter in which the razor was made.

SS razors of this vintage are mild-mannered and dependable. You won't be sorry with this razor and it will provide you excellent shaves. It should work well with many different blades, but I have found mine to perform very nicely with Derby blades. This one appears to be in good shape too!

Have fun,

I have a Super Speed it's older than the one you have. I like it and all my other razors with a Feather. If your technique is good nothing works better than a Feather IMO.:biggrin:

Good looking razor. I shaved with one of these a couple of nights ago. Its a fine shaver. I used a feather and it performed well. I'm used to the adjustables though. If I were using this as a daily shaver, I might try a Merkur or Derby blade before upgrading to the Feather. I had to be a little more cautious with the Feather blade in this shaver. As far as the price, $10 sounds about right. It looks very clean. I'm guessing it's a mid 50s model SS. Congratulations on the purchase.

Top Bottom