What's new

What about summer hats - Is Tilley still the best? Which model is the best compromise?

Shelta Sun Hats are fantastic.

I've had a Shelta Seahawk for about 3 years now and it's been everywhere from the desert, mountains, lakes and oceans. Very sturdy. The brim of the hat doesn't flop around either.

I love my L.L. Bean and Outdoor Research sun hats.
I saw the Outdoor Research hats when I went shopping a few weeks ago. They seemed functional enough, but I could not get past the OR logo to try one on. I should have given it a closer look to see if there was one where the logo did not stand out so much.

Shelta Sun Hats are fantastic.

I've had a Shelta Seahawk for about 3 years now and it's been everywhere from the desert, mountains, lakes and oceans. Very sturdy. The brim of the hat doesn't flop around either.
Thanks for the tip, I may purchase one. For my tastes, the Seahawk seems like the best of the five different models.

Do you have GoPro or small action camera? Looks like the brim of the Shelta hats are stiff enough to be mounting point? Might provide an interesting POV.

@Wishoot, I found this on their instagram page. I could not tell if any of the video that was posted was captured from the hat brim, but looks like someone in this group of kayaker's was wearing a GoPro clipped to the visor.
http://instagr.am/p/CNEAPweDcfh/
shelta-hat.jpg

Do you have GoPro or small action camera?

I don't own a GoPro. I'm not sure how much they weigh, but it's possible. You may want to contact Shelta directly. Their CS is pretty good.

I've attached a small AAA flashlight to the brim, but nothing heavier.

I wear mine kayaking all of the time.

Just bought myself a T3 Wanderer after reading this thread. It's made in Canada and great quality. I wore out my Tarp hat and, nice as they were, I had no great desire to buy another. The Tilley is surprisingly top quality.

View attachment 1260456
I also wear baseball caps and in winter wool or acrylic Beanies. Baldness is a thing.
How is their sizing? I measured 62 cm so that is a 7 5/8 on their site. I wear an issue boonie hat in 7 1/2 but it's snug.

How is their sizing? I measured 62 cm so that is a 7 5/8 on their site. I wear an issue boonie hat in 7 1/2 but it's snug.
Just based on your statement that you can wear a 7 1/2 (assuming it is true to size) but that it fits snug, then going up to a size 7 5/8 sounds about right. I crossed out your original quote, since what I see on the Tilley sizing chart omits 62cm, but implies that 61.5cm is 7 3/4 and 62.5cm is 7 7/8.

But if you measure at 62 cm then you may need a 7 3/4 at a minimum. I say that because most of the online size charts indicate that 62cm best equates to a 7 3/4. And also from personal experience in that I originally bought 7 3/4 based on selecting a Tilley hat in person at a retail store some years ago. It fit as recommended, meaning I could insert a couple of fingers in between the head and brim (much easier on the side, not so easy at the front). Fast forward to 2021 when I wanted a second Tilley or something similar, I made an effort to measure my head size using a string and got 24-1/4" (it could have been a touch smaller by 1/16" or 1/8" depending on how tight one is measuring) which equates to a hat size of 7 3/4. Converting 23.25" to metric is ~61.6, so based on all that I would recommend a 7 3/4 for you over a 7 5/8. Also if you converting directly using math, then 62cm divided by pi to get the diameter, then divide that by 2.54 to convert to inches produces 7.77" so almost exactly 7 3/4. But of course it is best if you could try on in person and decide what feels the best.

Just based on your statement that you can wear a 7 1/2 (assuming it is true to size) but that it fits snug, then going up to a size 7 5/8 sounds about right. I crossed out your original quote, since what I see on the Tilley sizing chart omits 62cm, but implies that 61.5cm is 7 3/4 and 62.5cm is 7 7/8.

But if you measure at 62 cm then you may need a 7 3/4 at a minimum. I say that because most of the online size charts indicate that 62cm best equates to a 7 3/4. And also from personal experience in that I originally bought 7 3/4 based on selecting a Tilley hat in person at a retail store some years ago. It fit as recommended, meaning I could insert a couple of fingers in between the head and brim (much easier on the side, not so easy at the front). Fast forward to 2021 when I wanted a second Tilley or something similar, I made an effort to measure my head size using a string and got 24-1/4" (it could have been a touch smaller by 1/16" or 1/8" depending on how tight one is measuring) which equates to a hat size of 7 3/4. Converting 23.25" to metric is ~61.6, so based on all that I would recommend a 7 3/4 for you over a 7 5/8. Also if you converting directly using math, then 62cm divided by pi to get the diameter, then divide that by 2.54 to convert to inches produces 7.77" so almost exactly 7 3/4. But of course it is best if you c

But if you measure at 62 cm then you may need a 7 3/4 at a minimum. I say that because most of the online size charts indicate that 62cm best equates to a 7 3/4. And also from personal experience in that I originally bought 7 3/4 based on selecting a Tilley hat in person at a retail store some years ago. It fit as recommended, meaning I could insert a couple of fingers in between the head and brim (much easier on the side, not so easy at the front). Fast forward to 2021 when I wanted a second Tilley or something similar, I made an effort to measure my head size using a string and got 24-1/4" (it could have been a touch smaller by 1/16" or 1/8" depending on how tight one is measuring) which equates to a hat size of 7 3/4. Converting 23.25" to metric is ~61.6, so based on all that I would recommend a 7 3/4 for you over a 7 5/8. Also if you converting directly using math, then 62cm divided by pi to get the diameter, then divide that by 2.54 to convert to inches produces 7.77" so almost exactly 7 3/4. But of course it is best if you could try on in person and decide what feels the best.
I mistyped I guess lol. I meant 61 cm. I ordered a 7 5/8 per their site after I reread it. I appreciate the help, I always wear a hat at work since I shave my head instead of having a bald spot and am outside alot while there. My boonie is ok and I have a cheap version knockoff of the Tilley but frankly it's to cheaply made.

I'd be cautious with Tilley's fitting guide. Mine sits ever so slightly snug with zero room to insert fingers under it or spin my head around inside it, or whatever else Tilley says. If mine sat so low and loose as they recommend, it would be covering my ears. Hats, like any other clothing are best tried in the store. I took a punt buying online and got lucky but as we all know it can be a pain.

Well ordered on Tuesday and it was delivered today,Friday. Now I just need to get past this work thing to get home and try it out. Looking at 55 hours or so this week plus 90 minutes a day round trip makes for a long week, it's not even full on construction season. Pictures and a short review will be next.

I'd never even heard of this Henschel outfit before this thread, but the wires in the brim of my "good" Tilley have gone bad and I needed a new sun hat. So I got one of the Henschel Hiker Breezer hats. It's a little loose, but I discovered I had a roll of ... dun dun duhhh ... weather stripping. Soft and flexible, with an adhesive backing to keep it in place. So I'm set for the summer; my hat stays on and I've finally stopped all those expensive drafts around my head.

I'd have bought one or two of the other hats they offer if they'd had any in stock. Maybe in the future when supply chains get working again.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Years ago I had a cheap white Panama that I loved, especially after it aged and got a bit soiled and went from a dress to a casual hat. My wife hated it. She used to tell me to get rid of it if I had any dreams of intimacy, or as she put it "You're crazy if you think I'm going to sleep with Father Mulcahy!"

Well, my new hat a Tilley T3 in olive is extremely well made. The 7 5/8 size is bigger than I expected. I can definitely fit two fingers between my head and the hat. It sits pretty good. Just not used to a hat not being snug I guess. It has the 4 maple leaf buttons and full size interior tag with name tag. After figuring out the wind cord I think it's fitting just about perfect. It's definitely steps above what I am used to. The next week at work will be the real test.

If it sits above your ears it sounds good.
You figured out the wind cord???
I couldn't figure out the wind cord.
I took it off. The wind cord is no more.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Years ago I had a cheap white Panama that I loved, especially after it aged and got a bit soiled and went from a dress to a casual hat. My wife hated it. She used to tell me to get rid of it if I had any dreams of intimacy, or as she put it "You're crazy if you think I'm going to sleep with Father Mulcahy!"
If memory serves, Father Mulcahy was gay so ... what are the odds of him going to sleep with her?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Father Mulcahy was heterosexual.

I remembered it wrong. It was the dentist, "Painless", who believed himself to be gay due to an episode of impotence and subsequently committed "suicide" by taking what turned out to be a sleeping pill.

Top Bottom