What's new

What about having "The Great Fragrance Sample Exchange"?

I noticed the Great Razor Blade Exchange here on the board, and was wondering what it would take to have a similar thing for fragrance/aftershave samples? I wouldn't mind running it, but I don't know the ins and outs of sending fragrances and the possible expenses, what shipping overseas looks like, or if there is any interest to begin with.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
There maybe issues sending samples of Aftershave/Fragrances containing alcohol overseas. I know that I cannot buy Aftershaves from outside of Australia and have them shipped to me by aeroplane.

With overseas shipping issues, it might be more feasible to have exchanges set up within mailing jurisdictions. It would be interesting to find out economical ways to do it internationally. I'd wait for a slow boat to try out some of the stuff from Europe and Asia.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
With overseas shipping issues, it might be more feasible to have exchanges set up within mailing jurisdictions. It would be interesting to find out economical ways to do it internationally. I'd wait for a slow boat to try out some of the stuff from Europe and Asia.
I am waiting on a slow boat from China I ordered a sample splash from Yaqi its estimated to get on the 30th of March. But like you said its worth the wait.

I really like this idea, and not just for sample sizes. I see people selling 3-4 oz. aftershaves on the BST and I'd take a flier for maybe 10 bucks, but it's so hard to know with scents and I don't want to get burned. If someone could send in a bottle and get one of a similar size back, that would take a lot of the risk out of the equation. Shipping liquids in glass is expensive, but a one-for-one exchange would equalize this, as everyone pays about the same.
Also, it would stimulate the economy, because I would plunk down some money to find out what the hell vetiver smells like and then exchange it if I didn't like it. :001_tongu

I would be in for this. Getting into wet shaving has exposed me to the world of fragrances - previously unexplored.

I've already been conversing with a member here about sending him decants of fragrances that I have purchased. Even moreso than soaps and aftershaves, fragrances are really personal, it seems.

As long as fragrance decants aren't bought and sold, I think this is a great and perfectly legitimate idea. I have begun accumulating a fair few inexpensive fragrances and sample sizes, and am ready to share around.

Perhaps the trickiest part of this is just going to be finding appropriately-sized containers to use for decants (PAA's aftershave sample tubes are perfect) - and of course, people interested enough in shipping enough quantity of samples to make USPS Ground worthwhile (it totally would be to me).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The blade exchange is two wrapped razor blades in a postage stamped envelope, with a self addressed stamped envelope included. The exchange is curated by an approved member.

Fragrance is an entirely different matter. Due to the alcohol content, fragrances can only be shipped within CONUS via ground transport. That means a cash outlay which is a LOT more than two postage stamps, and considerably more than simple flat rate packaging.

The blade exchange is two wrapped razor blades in a postage stamped envelope, with a self addressed stamped envelope included. The exchange is curated by an approved member.

Fragrance is an entirely different matter. Due to the alcohol content, fragrances can only be shipped within CONUS via ground transport. That means a cash outlay which is a LOT more than two postage stamps, and considerably more than simple flat rate packaging.
This is a good point. It couldn’t be exactly like the blade exchange but would function more like a mediated exchange between two approved members. There’s nothing stopping people from swapping aftershaves as it is, but this forum could function as matchmaker and a central place to discuss people’s impressions of their new acquisitions.

I agree the microtransaction nature of the blade exchange wouldn't at all be suitable for fragrances.

Do you think there's a possibility for something like a "box pass" for fragrances (like is done for tobacco), shipped ground? It would probably actually be cheaper than tobacco (USPS Retail Ground is not prohibitively expensive, and a fragrance box would be considerably smaller than a tobacco box pass - I've seen those get HUGE).

I just shipped a pile of small aftershave samples to users here for $5.15 each using the PO. It was a little spendy when added up, but really not too bad.

Or, as suggested, we could just have a central "matchmaking" thread, with the specific purpose of matching up users to do one-on-one swaps.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This is a good point. It couldn’t be exactly like the blade exchange but would function more like a mediated exchange between two approved members. There’s nothing stopping people from swapping aftershaves as it is, but this forum could function as matchmaker and a central place to discuss people’s impressions of their new acquisitions.
That's trading.

From the Terms of Use:

5. For members other than Vendors, to whom separate rules apply, offers to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise exchange can only be made in our Buy Sell Trade forum (BST).

6. These are not hard and fast rules but such activities are watched with a wary eye.

• Never ending PIFs end up in what is basically trading and trading is not allowed outside of the BST.
We keep the Blade Exchange alive because it is curated and is such a low value proposition. 2 blades and two stamps.
It doesn't involve member to member transactions, it doesn't require special shipping, and if things go sideways there's no vociferous complaints about getting stiffed for two razor blades.

Traveling boxes, in every single case. Every single one, have ALWAYS gone off the rails and ended when a guy down the line just kept everything. Approval for traveling boxes hasn't been given in ages.

Aside from the increased cost of some fragrances, the current USPS Ground Rate calculator shows to ship a 5 ounce package from Chicago to Dallas via Ground Transport is 10 dollars one way. Cost is based on zones, and it's more as you go further. You cannot ship alcohol via Priority Flat Rate packaging, you have to state that it is hazardous material at the Post Office, package it specifically as a hazardous flammable liquid, and pay the Ground Shipping fees.

So, I order samples from various companies, and they come in padded envelopes in my mailbox. I wonder how they pull it off. I know that commercial ground rates are lower than what you get at the P.O. And you can get permission from the USPS to ship air. I'm not quite sure that it is worth the paperwork yet. Still looking into it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The blade exchange works because the “exchanger” pays shipping BOTH WAYS. You include a self addressed stamped envelope with your blades you are sending in.

For anything similar to work this would have to be the case. The person wanting to try a sample of XYZ aftershave would have to include a sample of an aftershave, a box or padded envelope and packing materials (if you can’t reuse), and a pre-paid label for return shipping. If I live in Nashville I don’t know how I would include a pre-paid shipping label from Chicago. Without having a shipping account with some company. And most people don’t.

The cost to ship to the exchange, packing, and a return label could probably buy you a full size bottle of whatever you are interested in. Not including the time at the post office.

If any money exchanges hands, like lets say for example you don’t include a pre-paid label but instead you PayPal 7 bucks for return shipping, that’s no longer a trade or exchange. We consider that payment. Which can’t happen.

I just don’t see any feasible way for this to work here on B&B and stay within the guidelines of our TOU. If you were to set up your own website to facilitate the fragrance exchange you would have a lot more flexibility.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The purpose of the blade exchange was to try out a blade so you can decide if you want it buy them in bulk. It’s not to split a pack of a hundred 5 ways and share in the cost/savings.

I don’t know what the intent of a fragrance exchange would be, but if it’s just a matter of being able to know what a specific fragrance smells like you could spritz an index card, wrap in it foil and mail it out in an envelope with a stamp.

Top Bottom