What's new

What about a second razor?

You could go vintage and get a Gillette Slim or a Gillette Fatboy. These are adjustable and you can have a lot of fun working out the best setting for you. You could get something in the Merkur range. Some of their razors are on the milder side. Another good razor which I like using is a vintage Schick Krona. They have a long handle. A vintage Gillette Tech would be another good choice. That’s another question that I should have asked you. Do you like a short or long handle?

Excellent, plus 1. I would add the Gillette Super Adjustable. For modern Adjustable's, the Parker Variant or Merkur Progress. We can suggest a long list of razors that we like but it all boils down to the research you do and what you like.
Try: Double-Edged Safety Razors Ranked by Blade Gap - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

I'm a new DE shaver and I'm loving the experience. But since I've been shaving for months with Wilkinson Premium Classic, I'm looking for something more efficient.
I would suggest improving your technique as the razor you have is more than capable of a good shave. Have a look here; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
If you are still looking for a different razor then an open comb Fatip would be a good buy, either the Piccolo or Grande wich are all brass razors. The former is my preference.

I'm a new DE shaver and I'm loving the experience. But since I've been shaving for months with Wilkinson Premium Classic, I'm looking for something more efficient. Any recommendations?

Envoyé de mon Mi 9T Pro en utilisant Tapatalk

what is your definition of efficient? You may be better off simply getting online and getting yourself a 5 dollar wieshi tto with travel case, and a few of the large selection of balli and rapira versions of the tech.

your just starting out, save your money for the moment as you have something that seems to be keeping you happy.

Parker Variant. I’d buy it just for the quality of shaving, but being adjustable, it also gives lots of room to experiment and grow into.

I now have several razors, all highly rated, but Variant is still my most beloved and most often used one.

Stay away from the Q-Shave (also sold as Ming-Shi) adjustable. The inner-mechanism for the adjustment is all plastic and breaks or wears out fast. Also lots of problems with alignment of the blade.
That's a shame to hear. I was kind of looking forward to the Q-shave one personally. I guess I will keep saving up for a refurbed Slim Adjustable or a fatboy. Maybe one of the global shave club clones!

That's a shame to hear. I was kind of looking forward to the Q-shave one personally. I guess I will keep saving up for a refurbed Slim Adjustable or a fatboy. Maybe one of the global shave club clones!

Yes I was interested in that razor also until I searched it pretty thorough. It might be ok if you were just going to use it occasionally but not on a daily basis.

Schone, the Italian razor built by Fatip. Excellent shaver, smooth, efficient and fast. Works with most blades and blades last a long time.
Watch out for built quality, quite a few have blade alignment issues. That's why I bought mine from Amazon, currently selling for 21.99 for either the gold or nickel version. The seller is easy on giving a replacement should there be alignment issues. Shipping is free for orders over 25.

I would suggest finding a nice Gillette adjustable as well. I started with a Merkur 34cHD and when i wanted something more efficient, I found a Slim Adjustable for about $25 in good condition. Its fantastic. The Merkur has since moved to my travel kit.

The Ming Shi 2000 (the Futur copy) is a well regarded adjustable. It has no plastic parts.
The Ming Shi 3000 "Unscrew" is rather poorly made, and not recommended.
Buy a slim and a tech.

Last edited:
I have a ton of razors and really like my Ming shi 2000. Got it for like 5 bucks after using an eBay coupon. Worst shaving injury I ever had from adjusting on the fly the first time. Cut my thumb really deep. Cool razor though. Idk if I would recommend it as a second, but cool to have for very little

My Merkur 1904--with a Weber Bull Dog handle gives excellent results.

here here for 1904. I like the handle it came with. it has allowed me close shaves this week.

will be ordering the open comb of this first thing in the morn.

camo

I started with a Mühle R89 and later got a Fatip Piccolo special edition because I wanted to test something more aggressive. Found it to be a lovely razor, but found out that the best shaves I got with it was when I had a few days growth. Since I would get razor burns very easy.

However I dont think that is the razor's fault, it was probably my lack of technique around my trouble areas. Tried two other blades the Gillette 7 o'clock black and the Gillette silver blue in both razors.

Then one day I decided to go back to basic and started to use only my Mühle R89 and an Astra SP. And now I get very decent shaves. A few of them have even been completly burn free. Since I am still working on my angles here and there still. Started early this year with DE shaving.

Based on that like some have mentioned before I'd suggest that you still stick with your first razor and work more on technique for now. If you want a more aggressive shave then perhaps you should look into getting a few blade sample packs instead. It is cheaper and might yield the result you want at the moment. :)

Razorock Lupo is a great value razor that I enjoy. If you want to go for SS options, look to RR Game Changer and Mamba. Mamba 53 is personally my favorite and it shaves well all the time.

Razorock Lupo is a great value razor that I enjoy. If you want to go for SS options, look to RR Game Changer and Mamba. Mamba 53 is personally my favorite and it shaves well all the time.

Yeah, I think a game changer .68 or .89 depending on if OP wishes his current razor was less or more aggressive respectively is the way to go. Would never need to buy another razor again with one of these, they are built like a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom