What's new

What about a second razor?

I'm a new DE shaver and I'm loving the experience. But since I've been shaving for months with Wilkinson Premium Classic, I'm looking for something more efficient. Any recommendations?

Envoyé de mon Mi 9T Pro en utilisant Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
What would give us a better guide to advise you would be your budget. What are you looking at spending on your second razor?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
You could go vintage and get a Gillette Slim or a Gillette Fatboy. These are adjustable and you can have a lot of fun working out the best setting for you. You could get something in the Merkur range. Some of their razors are on the milder side. Another good razor which I like using is a vintage Schick Krona. They have a long handle. A vintage Gillette Tech would be another good choice. That’s another question that I should have asked you. Do you like a short or long handle?

Because of my little hands, a shorter handle would be more adequate

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Maybe a Merkur 34C or G might be okay. Great milder razors and I find give fantastic shaves with a sharper blade such as a Feather. Or for vintage, as mentioned a Gillette Tech. Again a great milder razor that gives me a fantastic shave with a Feather.

Maggard Razors sells heads and handles separately so you can mix and match what you like. I have been really liking my slant head with an MR11 handle. If you don’t mind a blue handle you can get the two right now for about $30. Another head that isn’t a slant is about $5-7. So for under $60 you could get each type of head I think and a MR11 or MR16 each of which are $9.99 right now in Blue Anodized Stainless Steel.

I have also been looking at the Q-shave adjustable razor. Parthenon I think is the name.

Global Shave Club also has Steam and Ice which are suppose to be a step up in aggression from a 34c. I also think there is one called Frost which is also a step up in aggression from a 23C?

I also recently got a razor and 105 blades from wetshavingclub.com and it was there entry razor and it is more aggressive than my 34C. I think the razor with the blades is $12 right now.

I'm a new DE shaver and I'm loving the experience. But since I've been shaving for months with Wilkinson Premium Classic, I'm looking for something more efficient. Any recommendations?

You can likely find more efficiency by improving your technique. When I was newer, I did three pass shaves. I decided I was only going to do one pass and a touchup. My efficiency rapidly improved. Now, I get a DFS on one pass with no nicks or irritation. That's good enough for me.

Maggard Razors sells heads and handles separately so you can mix and match what you like. I have been really liking my slant head with an MR11 handle. If you don’t mind a blue handle you can get the two right now for about $30. Another head that isn’t a slant is about $5-7. So for under $60 you could get each type of head I think and a MR11 or MR16 each of which are $9.99 right now in Blue Anodized Stainless Steel.

I have also been looking at the Q-shave adjustable razor. Parthenon I think is the name.

Global Shave Club also has Steam and Ice which are suppose to be a step up in aggression from a 34c. I also think there is one called Frost which is also a step up in aggression from a 23C?

I also recently got a razor and 105 blades from wetshavingclub.com and it was there entry razor and it is more aggressive than my 34C. I think the razor with the blades is $12 right now.

Stay away from the Q-Shave (also sold as Ming-Shi) adjustable. The inner-mechanism for the adjustment is all plastic and breaks or wears out fast. Also lots of problems with alignment of the blade.

My first upgrade razor was a Merkur 34c. I used it this week for the first time in months. It gave me a great shave. I love that razor.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
You could go vintage and get a Gillette Slim or a Gillette Fatboy. These are adjustable and you can have a lot of fun working out the best setting for you. You could get something in the Merkur range. Some of their razors are on the milder side. Another good razor which I like using is a vintage Schick Krona. They have a long handle. A vintage Gillette Tech would be another good choice. That’s another question that I should have asked you. Do you like a short or long handle?
Excellent suggestions.

These are great suggestions. I'd also recommend my second razor, a Gillette Old Type. It is very efficient but more aggressive than your current razor or the above mentioned Gillette Tech.

If you're looking for a new razor, the RazorRock SLOC is a good one. I've been using one for about a week and it gives the best shave of anything I've had so far. Runner up would be a Merkur 1904/1906 open comb. Both razors are reasonably priced as well.

Top Bottom