What's new

What a nice cool weather fall shave!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
My furnace is on the fritz, so I've been without heat and it's getting into the high forties in Chicago lately at night. Hopefully it gets fixed tomorrow. I'm good down to the fifties with no heat, but the forties is getting a little ridiculous.

So yesterday my package from Queen Charlotte Soaps arrives. Mmmmmmm. Basilica. Have not had any for quite some time, it's only a winter thing for me. I don't know why, it just does not appeal to me in the summer. But I was sniffing it all day yesterday.

Big, Omega pro boar brush. Nice, hot Robert Becker Scuttle. Gillette fatboy loaded up with a new NOS Schick Plus Platinum blade. Loaded for at least a full minute. What a treat. I wanted to do five passes!

Any other Basilica fans out there? This old former altar boy was loving it this morning!

I've never smelled Basilica, or any QCS for that matter. May need to change that! I generally stick to tropical or citrus scents, though.

Another former altar boy here. Basilica has always been on my to-try list. I bet it's a great cool-weather scent.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I've never smelled Basilica, or any QCS for that matter. May need to change that! I generally stick to tropical or citrus scents, though.

This would be a change for you, for sure. I suspect Basilica is a scent which would have small but dedicated following. It is modeled after the incense used at Catholic Masses, here is the website description.

Description:
Balsamic myrrh and smoky frankincense combine to create this unique and wonderful scent, reminiscent of an age-old basilica.

I like some citrusy scents, although not my faves, but only in the warm months. I won't touch them in winter. I am NOT suggesting these are similar scents, they are not ... but if you are a fan of earthy scents like, say, D.R. Harris Marlborough (my fave Harris), then there is a good chance you would love Basilica. If those types of scents do not appeal to you, then there's a good chance Basilica won't be up your alley, either. But on a 50-degree morning in Chicago with no heat ... that big Omega 49 waaaay overloaded with Basilica in a hot scuttle was just the ticket for me.

By the way, the ingredient list for QCS and MW are nearly identical. They are not the same soaps, for sure, the proportions must be very different, but same ingredients. If you are a fan of MW, a terrific soap, but you like to use scuttles in the cool months, give QCS a try. I do love MW but they simply cannot be made to work with a hot scuttle, that seems to be the consensus here, so it is a warm weather soap for me only. QCS works great in a scuttle.

I'm not trying to blasphemy here, MW adherents are an unusually loyal bunch, even for around here :wink2:, but if you want to use a hot scuttle and are finding that frustrating, grab a QCS for the winter and see if that doesn't work better for you.

I ordered a puck of Esquire before I tried the Basilica sample. I wish I would've got the puck of Basilica instead of the puck of Esquire.

Ben

Top Bottom