What's new

What a difference a blade makes...

Having been slightly less than enthused with the blades my DE razor came with I went hunting for info on potential better ones.

Previously was having great difficulty in problem areas, not particularly close shave and irritation a plenty. I quickly found out that some of this was down to bad technique but even then I felt the blades might be holding me back.

After much reading I decided on Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge. An absolute world of difference, basically everything improved. Why did no one tell me about this???

Oh, I guess they did

Yes, I myself too didn't think it matters until I tried myself. Even different blade for different razor.

Good thing they have place that you can order for just one or two blades instead of a puck like Tryablade, until I can sure which blade to go.

Having been slightly less than enthused with the blades my DE razor came with I went hunting for info on potential better ones.

Previously was having great difficulty in problem areas, not particularly close shave and irritation a plenty. I quickly found out that some of this was down to bad technique but even then I felt the blades might be holding me back.

After much reading I decided on Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge. An absolute world of difference, basically everything improved. Why did no one tell me about this???

Oh, I guess they did
What blades did your razor come with?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Menrock DE razor came with 5 of their own brand blades. Not really seen much info anywhere online other than 1 comment about the blades being "so-so"

I would tend to agree

After 1.5 years I'm still finding out which blades work best for me. I've found a few that just don't suite me, others that seem to work in every razor I own, and some that I like in a particular razor, but not others. YMMV.

My grail, YMMV:

Mild razors require sharp blades (Astras work best for me).

Aggressive razors require more mellow blades (Dorcos or Derbies work for me).

In all cases, Merkur blades **ck.

The rest is technique.

After much reading I decided on Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge. An absolute world of difference, basically everything improved.
Many of the St Petersburg blades come up as top tier repeatedly, of which the 7 O'Clock sharp edge is one. You should try Gillette Silver Blue, Astra SP, Nacet and Polsilver SI as well. The GSB is my favourite when you factor in blade longevity.

Last edited:
I am working my way through about two dozen blade brands to figure out what works best for me - of course with my beard/razor/technique what works for me might not work for you, but it might give you some ideas about things to try. Didn't get to the sharp edge yet.

Have you considered a blade sampler? Many of our vendors offer them; they're a great way to try a number of popular blades. Enjoy your shaves!

Another vote for trying some blade sampler packs.

Reviews help but the only way to assess a blade is to shave with it IMO! My choice depends on the razor. Plus, it is fun to try a different blades to see what works best (and to travel the world for a few pennies)!

I did think about trying a sampler but on a whim decided to try the Gillette yellows. As I'm really pleased with them I'm a bit loath to try loads of others now as I'm enjoying not glowing like a lighthouse when I leave the bathroom :) I probably will anyway though

On the longevity side, what kind of usage do people find they get out of blades in general and the 7 o'clocks specifically?
I realise this is going to be different for many people but just looking for ballpark figure

For me, longevity depends on the razor and blade combo. For example, on most razors a Feather lasts only two good shaves. However, with the mild Feather AS D2 razor, I can get at least seven shaves. Astras, the blade that many love on this site, gives me only three good shaves. Three shaves is what I get from Merkur blades - a blade that many seem to hate on this forum (I'm not one of the haters - I just think they are too expensive). The blades that last the most for me are Personna Medical Prep and Lab blades (about seven shaves) and GSB (four to five). The Gillettes you like gave me three to four shaves.

I get about 5 good shaves out of a 7 O'clock yellow with a DE 89. The second and third shaves are usually my best - the blade is still in its prime and I've worn off some of that new-blade harshness. They are great blades - glad you like them. There are other great ones out there, too. I hear you when you say you are reluctant to try others since you've had such a meteoric improvement in your shaves - but if you'd like a sampler of some of my favorite brands, PM me your address and I'll be happy to send you some.

I did think about trying a sampler but on a whim decided to try the Gillette yellows. As I'm really pleased with them I'm a bit loath to try loads of others now as I'm enjoying not glowing like a lighthouse when I leave the bathroom :) I probably will anyway though

On the longevity side, what kind of usage do people find they get out of blades in general and the 7 o'clocks specifically?
I realise this is going to be different for many people but just looking for ballpark figure
How long is a piece of string? :a18:
It would be more than 3 weeks for me (7 O'Clock yellows) but then I don't change a blade after an arbitrary number of shaves. This is a test best down by yourself.
Have a surf through this thread: Which blade did you toss today? After how many uses?

Have you considered a blade sampler? Many of our vendors offer them; they're a great way to try a number of popular blades. Enjoy your shaves!

+3

I love trying different blades. Even though I have my favorites I will jump at the chance to try anything new. For me that is part of the fun.

PM me and I'll send you a sampler.
!No MA'AM!
Classic

@Mtn Man New Badger for your Avatar? ((Otherwise I be blind lately)) NICE! Great image.
(we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming)

@Mtn Man New Badger for your Avatar? ((Otherwise I be blind lately)) NICE! Great image.
(we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming)

I work in the oilfield. And a while ago the office girls went through and printed out a "lousy" taxidermy photo to represent each of us. That badger lamp was mine. I thought it would make a great Avatar!

Top Bottom