What's new

What 5 blade pack do you wish you had received if you first bought a razor and blades in a beginner pack??

I want to like these but I’ve tried SPs on everything from my Merkur 34, to my SS, and every setting on my Fatboy and it’s a bloodbath every time.
I just wish I had a 195 to mutilate my face with ;) Every nick would be a Treet. (Geddit?) Over here the 195 is rarer than rocking horse dung.

Funny thing is all the blades I thought were rubbish when I first started have proved to be my favourites nowadays.
When I started Derby and Merkur seemed really rough, but years later and in a EJ89 they are the best blades I’ve ever used.
Astra green that I used to rave about in my c34 now feel awful.

This is such a YMMV question. I thought the Derby was terrible at first and blamed my woes on the blade. I bought a bunch of Astra’s based on the wisdom of B&B and had largely the same experience as I did with the Derby. But with time, technique improved. I tried the Derby Extra again and found it to give a close, irritation free shave. Turns out the initial problem was my technique, not the blade.

As for Astra, I’ve used up the 100 and will never use them again—they were terrible for me but I’m happy they work for many. After 10 years DE shaving I thought another sample pack would be fun. I’m realizing some blades I hated from my original sampler are better than I thought. I chalk this up to experience and technique.

This is such a YMMV question. I thought the Derby was terrible at first and blamed my woes on the blade. I bought a bunch of Astra’s based on the wisdom of B&B and had largely the same experience as I did with the Derby. But with time, technique improved. I tried the Derby Extra again and found it to give a close, irritation free shave. Turns out the initial problem was my technique, not the blade.

As for Astra, I’ve used up the 100 and will never use them again—they were terrible for me but I’m happy they work for many. After 10 years DE shaving I thought another sample pack would be fun. I’m realizing some blades I hated from my original sampler are better than I thought. I chalk this up to experience and technique.

Seriously? You used 100 blades that were terrible for you. You must be a masochist. Blades are not so expensive that you should force yourself to use blades that do not give a great shave. There are plenty of others who would have accepted them gladly. In case you are wondering; Astra Greens do not work for me either, but there is no way I am using the ones I have left. One day, when shaving meets come back, I will get rid of mine.

I would suggest that a starter pack should be a blade in the "medium" sharpness range. Not too dull, not too sharp; a Goldilocks blade. To me that means no Derby Extras or Merkurs (too dull), and no Feathers, Nacets or Permasharps (too sharp). For me good medium blades would include, among others, the oft-mentioned Astras, Derby Premiums, IP/Crystals (sadly, now extinct), and German Wilkies.

When I started DE shaving quite a few years back my starter setup, recommended by a very helpful on-line vendor, consisted of a Merkur 33C and a pack of German Wilkies. That turned out to be great advice, and I got really good shaves right out of the gate. Had I not gone hopelessly down the rabbit hole of razors and blades, that could have been the only setup I ever really needed.

Nacet. I still haven't tried them, but I really want to try to cut through a gator with one.

I have some on the way that should arrive this coming week, along with some Derby Premiums. The premiums would have been better than my pre-16 Extras, the worst blades in my starter pack!

I hope I like the premiums, because December Derby is pretty close, and I won't be using that last Extra for it.

What 5 pack do I wish I received if I first bought a razor and blades in a beginner pack:

New production Dorco Stainless or Prime blades with my first DE razor. They are nice and sharp, very smooth and last for 8-10 shaves. In the U.S. 100 packs are so inexpensive that I don't purchase individual tucks/samplers. My journey to these blades is below.

When I came back to DE shaving 2 years ago I started with 100 Derby Extra Blades (2nd choice after Astra SPs where there was lots of fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) due to the new laser etched blade being counterfeit). With slick lather I get 3 - 5 good shaves with Derby blades and soon added a couple 200 packs of the blue package/new shaving technology label blades that deliver similar results ($8 each or 4 cents a blade at the time thanks to FUD regarding uncertainty as to whether these were real Derby blades or counterfeits - was able to confirm they were real by downloading the Derby catalog). Thanks, in part, to this forum, I eventually confirmed the Astra SP FUD was false and picked up a box of the laser etched blades. The Astras are a bit sharper delivering 4 - 6 good shaves (eventually purchased a second box). While Astra SP shave quality is similar to my Derbys they do last a bit longer and occasionally I've experienced an outlier blade that delivers really sharp/efficient and smooth early shaves (first couple) before settling down to the normal Astra experience.

After a year of practice/research I became intrigued by Dorco who appeared to be the only manufacturer with relativelyi recent investments to upgrade its DE blade production capabilities when this was moved from Korea to Vietnam as part of their efforts to expand penetration of major Asian markets. I'd originally ruled these out due to all the poor reviews of older/made in Korea production that is still being sold and often drives perceptions of this brand. My research led to the purchase of 100 each of the made in Vietnam/HQ technology STP301 Prime and ST301 Stainless blades that are the best in my current blade assortment delivering typically 8-10 good shaves with reasoable consistency. Have since added another 100 Primes and ST301s as well as 100 ST300s that are the same as the ST301s in different packaging. As all three brands work for me with varying longevity I'll keep rotating among them as I'm set for at least the next few years.

Only blade I won't repurchase are the Weishis that came with my razor. Very inconsistent tuck of 5 blades. Had one blade that didn't last through the first shave, others that were only good for at most a couple shaves and one outlier that kept going for an entire weeks worth of shaves.

My son saw I was looking at “de” shaving and brought up Albatross Shaving. Never heard of.
I looked up the site. What keeps coming back to me from there is a post by a user saying they were afraid of using a de razor instead of of a cart.
Those people need a variety of blades, and a little of ranking on sharpness. “Here are blades abc.. in order of sharpness. Start with c and go to b or d.”
Derby, Astra and GSB, plus?

What blade choice would you put into a newbie razor pack if you were a manufacturer? Obviously economics has most to do with it I s'pose, but any thoughts on the 'ideal' starter blade with a new razor? What would you have liked to have received?
I am counting out Feathers because they would be not a good pick for most newbies I suspect.

Yeah I find that weird. I got a Standard Razor set that came with Derby Extra and GSB. Despite the GSB being much sharper, it is more appropriate for someone starting out. I think a good blade to include is the Astra SP over the basic Dorco and Derbys. Cheap while starting off good and stays good for at least a few shaves. Also the aggressiveness of the razor might be a factor in deciding what to put in.

Gillette platinum dark blue or kcg but I know I had wizamets too and was not that fond of them first. Silver blues are still my benchmark blade.

1. Astra Platinum
2. Feather
3. Parker Premium
4. Astra SS (that's cheating a little, as I don't really see a major difference with #1)
5. BIC

I am staying away from Polsiver as it's going into unobtanium territory, or anything Gillette.

My first razor came with a 5 pack of Derby extras. I found these to be *cough* sub-optimal for my needs. In fact they nearly made me give up before I had started.

I suspect that if a little more thought would go into choosing a 'good' blade by manufacturers and distributors selling often nice razors with often 'bad' blades, many, many more would stick with the hobby. Again I would probably guess that maybe 40% of new D/E shavers give up because of manufacturers 5 pack blade sample choices. (A wild guess on that percentage estimate, but I suspect it's a lot)

What blade choice would you put into a newbie razor pack if you were a manufacturer? Obviously economics has most to do with it I s'pose, but any thoughts on the 'ideal' starter blade with a new razor? What would you have liked to have received?
I am counting out Feathers because they would be not a good pick for most newbies I suspect.
So before I received my first razor I had received a 20 blade sampler. When my razor arrived (KCG) I set aside the KCG blades and installed an Astra SP which worked great. I had razors coming everyday so just continued with the Astra SP blades for the first nine (9) shaves. Then GSB followed by Voskhod & Nacet. These blades all worked well for me.

On my 26th shave I used the KCG razor and FINALLY opened the KCG tuck and used one. Great blade for me and I'm guessing a better than average blade included with a razor purchase.

Personna from Israel or Astra SP it would be my prompt answer, but thinking a little more I never heard someone who had a bad shave from a Gillette Platinum, may it be Russian or Indian, does not matter mild or aggressive razor or if beginner or veteran.

My first safety razor Edwin Jagger came with Derby Extra. I think it is a good blade for beginners. EJ sends this blade for at least over a decade for a good reason.

Last week I bought another Edwin Jagger, again with Derby Extra.

Top Bottom