What's new

What 12 gauge ammo?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
One's best ammo choice is going to depend on the specific situation, which in the field may be variable. Choices become trade offs.

I find #4 lead shot great in 1.25 once loads for long shots at squirrels. Squirrel hide is pretty tough. I have found with my gun, they give me long range, which has been handy.

I have used 9s in the past, and they were great for some situations - close rang shots at small birds.

Trees in Oklahoma aren't very tall. :)

OkieStubble

I think #4’s are a real staple for many game. Maybe not the perfect choice, but usually serviceable. Slugs for bigger game and some lighter loads like #8‘s for small birds or clay pigeon would round out my suggestion. Turkeys or coyote hunting may take some special loads as would duck/goose hunting.

The painful reality is that you should pattern your gun with each load before you buy a bunch. Your modified choke might not like #4’s as much as 6’s..... Magnum loads or not...

This is one reason I cling to my old 870 wingmaster. Getting to know a new shotgun takes substantial effort. Fun effort, but a lot of it. Once you know your gun, it’s like gold.

Have fun @radrick96 !

+1. Yup. Certain size shot is alot more flexible for a wider range of various game and circumstances if you also change out the choke to fit that situation.

OkieStubble

True, but the tree may be far away. Hunting situations vary.

I sometimes have the itch for a double barrel, 2 chokes and 2 shell types. However I never went down that road.

I kind of miss Oklahoma. However, summer time was brutal up there.

Summer's and Winter's are brutal here. Fall only lasts a week, and we don't have a Spring, only a Tornado season.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The painful reality is that you should pattern your gun with each load before you buy a bunch. Your modified choke might not like #4’s as much as 6’s..... Magnum loads or not...

The difference between pattern density with various shot sizes can be surprising. My club has Turkey Shoots that start the first Sunday of April. They have several different kinds of shoots but I shot trap, 2 rounds from each station and when someone missed they were out. I also shot what they called Pepper The Paper. That was done at a measured 40 yards and you shot at a paper target inside a steel frame that only showed a 4" circle of paper. The most holes in that 4"s of paper won.

The first year we ran that we could use any gun, choke and load. I used my 11-87 and the XFull turkey choke with a 3" Federal 1 5/8oz load of #6. There were about 30 or so shooters shooting all sorts of combinations. I won that shoot with 96 holes in the paper. The next closest was 42 that was shot with a turkey choke and hand loaded 7 1/2.

For curiosity after the shoot, I tried it with a similar load of 4 shot. I put 24 holes in the paper at the same range.

That shotgun likes 6 shot the best, 4 shot is okay at closer ranges like over decoys but when we started handloading lead for Goose and Duck hunting I went with 5 shot. It patterned as well as 6 but has a bit more weight per pellet and penetrated better. The load we used was one I got from my uncle. I cant remember the charge weight but in a Winchester AA hull with a AA wad it was 1 5/8oz load of 5 lead at 1255fps through my Chrony. We had to seal the crimps with wax because there was so much shot in the AA wads it would push the crimp open on some shells.

Using that load I could kill, not just fold but kill, pass shooting high flying Canada Geese that were high enough I couldnt see the white band on their necks. When the laws here changed to steel shot only I had to use #4 and had to wait until I could see their eyes, 30-40 yards max and they didnt fall dead.

I ended up preferring steel over decoys. The 1 1/4oz load of Super X 4 shot was right around 1550fps velocity. That made a dramatic difference at close range.

As a rule steel shot doesnt pattern as well as lead because the steel pellets tend to bounce around more in the barrel and in flight after exiting the barrel, but if you match the right load to the gun, they can work very well you just wont have the energy or pattern density at longer ranges you can have with lead. The only way to know which shot size any barrel gets along with the best is to pattern the loads and find out. It's well worth doing.

OkieStubble

I did not mind Oklahoma winters. However, I worked in a heated office.

My heated office was on wheels. :)

Work a traffic accident in the winter by a lake, where that bitter north Artic air is bouncing off that water and blowing straight up your skirt? Or a 10 hour standoff in the snow?

years ago, I had to rescue two teenage girls who, somehow managed to drive off a freeway and down a steep embankment and punch their car into a fish hatchery.

I had to jump in and pull them out before the car sank, because in their panic, they forgot how to roll down a window. It was only November at the time, but that water was really cold.

Depends. Clay pigeons...7-9shot
Upland birds...5-6 shot
Deer...1oz. Rifled slug or Sabot
Defense...1 oz. partitioned slug/00 buckshot combination round.
For a one size fits all shotgun, a Remington 870 has no peer.

338F378A-5EF2-4725-99A7-EF83F8A882FC.jpeg

That 870 is set up quite nice. Everything you need and nothing that you don't. I happened to have started out with a Mossberg 500/590 so I am partial to the safety location.
Having said that, the last shotgun I should have bought was an 870P with a Choate stock for 275ish out the door. It had sling mounts, a ghost ring sign and every screw had a witness mark drawn on it with a sharpie metallic pen.
Any officer/arms room guy who took the time to witness mark every screw probably stayed on top of the springs, lube etc. Saw it on a sat in the am. Went back Mon at lunch and it was gone.

I paid 80$ for my 870 wingmaster. Not the only gun I’ve used but only one I’ve owned. I have no idea what i want to do with it as far as customizing or modifying. I’ve had it forever it’s been almost as trusty as my two dogs. I do plan on maybe shortening the barrel A little as it is long for doorframes

Long ago and far away, I worked outside in the cold, without the best clothes and gear.

I remember a rough neck washing off the floor, not knowing I was down below rigging down.

And being a kid without good cold weather clothes, was miserable.

It did not get really cold on the Gulf coast, but the rain and wind, and maybe also being too skinny resulted in misery.

In Oklahoma, first thing I did was to buy a long, down coat - and I was comfortable in winter there. However, I worked inside.

Where I live now, there basically is no winter.

Being copped up has lead to boredom, and that has led to my over-typing. I will work on restraining my typing.

I paid 80$ for my 870 wingmaster. Not the only gun I’ve used but only one I’ve owned. I have no idea what i want to do with it as far as customizing or modifying. I’ve had it forever it’s been almost as trusty as my two dogs. I do plan on maybe shortening the barrel A little as it is long for doorframes

I had fun with a 20 gauge express. Once I started modifying it I couldn’t stop.

Top Bottom