What's new

Whaat, it’s a Rotbart?! Box opening: 1910s or 1920s(?) OT - very unusual, I never saw this before

2B7A2B96-FD6B-421D-82AA-AAEAC9833ADB.jpeg

A kind razor collector friend pointed the auction out on one of the European bays. An all-black/tarnished OT-type razor with an unusual and pretty handle pattern. Branded Solinger Stahlwaren with the name Ernst Steinhökel RHEYDT noted.

Well, the set received no love from the Ebay community so I won the auction at the starting price of 23 EUR because I was bored, it looked fun and I liked the leather case.

Then, while awaiting delivery I googled what I could on the razor. I found out that it likely was produced by the company Solinger Stahlwaren, one of the many razor producers in the Solingen region before the war. And then resold (and rebranded) through the Ernst Steinhökel cutlery company, located in the town of Mönchengladbach in Rhine-Westphalia in the Western-most part of Germany. The company names were all I could find.

Well, the razor arrived today and I immediately did the old tinfoil/baking powder/boling water trick (twice over) which again proved its wonders. It turned out very nice and with seemingly all silver plating intact.

And then imagine my surprise when the razor turned out to be a Rotbart model! Wow!

I really hope that someone will be able to share some more insights to this!

Oh, on top, I gave the case interior a really good cleaning and applied leather fat and color to the exterior. And after this even the case turned out quite nice. I have a thing for lather cases.

In closing, I didn’t try an OT shave since my early days, and back then I failed miserably with nicks and cuts to follows. But I have faith that my technique now 3 years later is much better. We’ll see, don’t expect this to join my rotation. But very fun and, as it turns out, maybe quite unique!

4369EEF3-7366-410F-A4E6-654147CDD11E.jpeg
AD216547-4B36-4144-A992-E1C354BBC03E.jpeg
C788AC8E-4A62-4825-8556-42F0923245EE.jpeg
4D58AE46-A00F-416F-B8D5-4753C3BE2627.jpeg

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Nice, a heavy handle with a fancy pattern. Roth and later Roth&Büchner produced razors and blades for many companies, although these were not branded by them. For a date 1919-25 is the most likely.

Adam

View attachment 1090003

A kind razor collector friend pointed the auction out on one of the European bays. An all-black/tarnished OT-type razor with an unusual and pretty handle pattern. Branded Solinger Stahlwaren with the name Ernst Steinhökel RHEYDT noted.

Well, the set received no love from the Ebay community so I won the auction at the starting price of 23 EUR because I was bored, it looked fun and I liked the leather case.

Then, while awaiting delivery I googled what I could on the razor. I found out that it likely was produced by the company Solinger Stahlwaren, one of the many razor producers in the Solingen region before the war. And then resold (and rebranded) through the Ernst Steinhökel cutlery company, located in the town of Mönchengladbach in Rhine-Westphalia in the Western-most part of Germany. The company names were all I could find.

Well, the razor arrived today and I immediately did the old tinfoil/baking powder/boling water trick (twice over) which again proved its wonders. It turned out very nice and with seemingly all silver plating intact.

And then imagine my surprise when the razor turned out to be a Rotbart model! Wow!

I really hope that someone will be able to share some more insights to this!

Oh, on top, I gave the case interior a really good cleaning and applied leather fat and color to the exterior. And after this even the case turned out quite nice. I have a thing for lather cases.

In closing, I didn’t try an OT shave since my early days, and back then I failed miserably with nicks and cuts to follows. But I have faith that my technique now 3 years later is much better. We’ll see, don’t expect this to join my rotation. But very fun and, as it turns out, maybe quite unique!

View attachment 1090000View attachment 1090001View attachment 1089995View attachment 1090002
Beautiful razor! Sorry for my ignorance, but what is an OT shave?

Thanks friends! Very happy with this as it turned out!

@Pretty Flacko: No need to apologize, sir! OT is the popular abbreviation for Old Type, named after the Gillette Old Type, which many other razor brands’ heads of the era were copied from 1900-1920.

However, here I’ll listen carefully to Thomas (@It’s Hedley) and Adam (@romsitsa) who are much(!) better versed in these older models. So this razor’s head is probably closer resembling the head of the Gillette New Improved model which came after the Old Type into the 1920’s.

I am really a noob when it comes to the Gillettes before 1930. I tried one once and it bit me like... Sure hope my technique has improved, this puppy is up for tomorrow morning :scared: :thumbup1:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'll have to agree -- quite unusual and I've seen a lot of Rotbarts.

Nice score. Do you happen to have a pre-cleanup pic, Peter?

R

romsitsa

The razor looks a bit similar to a New improved, but the head is an old type. Roth&Büchner never used the fulcrum shoulder design.

Adam

Thanks friends! Very happy with this as it turned out!

@Pretty Flacko: No need to apologize, sir! OT is the popular abbreviation for Old Type, named after the Gillette Old Type, which many other razor brands’ heads of the era were copied from 1900-1920.

However, here I’ll listen carefully to Thomas (@It’s Hedley) and Adam (@romsitsa) who are much(!) better versed in these older models. So this razor’s head is probably closer resembling the head of the Gillette New Improved model which came after the Old Type into the 1920’s.

I am really a noob when it comes to the Gillettes before 1930. I tried one once and it bit me like... Sure hope my technique has improved, this puppy is up for tomorrow morning :scared: :thumbup1:
Thank you for the info! Yeah, I've never really thought about getting into vintage DE so I never read up on any of my classic Gillette. Oops!

Thank you for the info! Yeah, I've never really thought about getting into vintage DE so I never read up on any of my classic Gillette. Oops!

Well sir, you need to take that road - vintage razoring is so much fun ... but also comes with a warning label - because it is highly addictive :LMS

R

romsitsa

Hello, Solinger Stahlwaren is not seperate company (in this case) it’s part of the Steinnökel name.

Adam

Again, many thanks for your kind comments.

Shaved with it this morning, let’s just say that my lack of technique - or probably simply the head OT setup - condemns this to be an exposition piece in my den.

My young face simply has not yet been chosen by the Old Type razors used by grown men :blush:

Top Bottom