What's new

Wetting/Slobbering the cigar while smoking...

Other than the gross factor of thinking about a cigar that is slobbered on, what would be the reason why one should not allow the cigar to get wet from saliva while smoking?
Is it just ettiquette, or other reasons?

Yeah..it is kinda gross to witness that.

I mainly asked because it appears as though I'm a wetter. Didn't really notice it, probably because I rarely smoke them. I tend to salivate a lot with cigars. Hookah dries the hell out of my mouth, though. I don't get the tip really wet, but I'm going to try to maintain a dry smoke.
I will completely admit that I always thought the cigar would smoke better wet, for some reason. Growing up in the 'hood I did, I always saw guys in the parking lot continuously licking their blunts...but those weren't cigars.

Now that I want to indulge in the hobby routinely, I want to be a little more proper.

Yeah..it is kinda gross to witness that.

I mainly asked because it appears as though I'm a wetter. Didn't really notice it, probably because I rarely smoke them. I tend to salivate a lot with cigars. Hookah dries the hell out of my mouth, though. I don't get the tip really wet, but I'm going to try to maintain a dry smoke.
I will completely admit that I always thought the cigar would smoke better wet, for some reason. Growing up in the 'hood I did, I always saw guys in the parking lot continuously licking their blunts...but those weren't cigars.

Now that I want to indulge in the hobby routinely, I want to be a little more proper.

I'm of the opinion that the proper way to enjoy most things is to do it how you like. I light my cigars with a trusty Zippo and enjoy them just as much as the guy that insists on lit cedar. Whatever you like and whatever works for you. What's fun about conforming to what the other guy says you have to do? :thumbup1:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I can't clench a cigar without drooling like a St. Bernard. I think it is because I don't swallow with my jaw that far apart. I can clench a pipe all day long, however and have no issue with excess saliva.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Some people like to chew them, I think if the tip gets too wet it starts to get bitter.

I agree. I prefer to keep it as dry as possible...
Tony:
+ 2 and I try not to 'chomp or chew' on my cigars (which I believe to be a waste of a good cigar), but I might tend to 'lightly clench' on my cigars. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"What this country needs is a reallygood 5 cent cigar". Vice-President Thomas R. Marshall

Enjoying cigars is what you make of it. It can be either a gentleman's activity/pastime, or it can be obnoxious. For me, when you chew/slobber it is no longer a gentleman's activity. In terms of social etiquette, clenching is okay without the slobber, and when you are at home by yourself do what makes you happy. If you don't enjoy it, what's the point?

All the above are great points but for me the real problem with chewing on a cigar and all the slobber is it affects the draw of the cigar. Once that is wrecked whats the point. Draw is so important in the overall experience of a cigar and when you mess it up the cigar in my opinion is done.

All the above are great points but for me the real problem with chewing on a cigar and all the slobber is it affects the draw of the cigar. Once that is wrecked whats the point. Draw is so important in the overall experience of a cigar and when you mess it up the cigar in my opinion is done.

+1, and another vote on the disgusting factor.

How you smoke your cigar - chewy and wet *or* dry - is your preference. Enjoy it!

That being said, there are a couple problems that a sloppy wet cigar can produce:
1. draw issues
2. bitterness as the tars can develop if too wet

For what it is worth, a cure is simple, don't let the cigar sit in your mouth. Puff it and hold it in your hand. You don't need to stick 2 inches of it in your mouth, just the end.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Top Bottom