What's new

Wetshaving makes me miss Dad.

What a great thread. I remember in the 60's as a little kid watching my Dad shave at the bathroom sink every morning with his Super Speed and can of Barbasol. I think he used Aqua Velva and Old Spice. He'd shave and swish the razor in the water in sink bowl. He'd sometimes take the blade out, put shave cream on my face and let me "shave" with it.

He's 79 now. He says he still has that Super Speed in a box somewhere, so I hope he can find it as it would be a very special keepsake.

64B48950-6F1C-4AE4-893E-F6B18654439A.jpeg

What’s in a shave?

In this pic my Dad and I were in the hospital. He had suffered a mild stroke, but wanted a shave. All that shave geekery came in handy.

Strength and honor.

Last edited:
Guys - thanks for a great thread of memories! Similar memories here, Dad passed age 89 last year, I remember watching him shave with a Gillette TTO, then later with a Schick injector.

@petr, Great photo. Thanks for posting!

@Useless shaver : Juan - my eyes are leaking too![emoji15][emoji112]

Very nice post. I soak my brush before every shave in my Grandfather’s old shaving mug which is now about 100 years old. This type of shaving bridges the present and the past and often awakens fond memories. I think that is often why we do it and savor the experience.

Very nice post. I soak my brush before every shave in my Grandfather’s old shaving mug which is now about 100 years old. This type of shaving bridges the present and the past and often awakens fond memories. I think that is often why we do it and savor the experience.

It's why I do it.. Trying to find that feeling again. :biggrin1:

I thought about this thread this evening after I heard my son yell from my bathroom, "Daaaaaad. Can I shave?"

Of course son.

Squid Shaving.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
What a great read! Thanks.

ah, mine used nothing but Norelcos. So then did I, of course.

No wonder for the teenage acne; those things get dirty and stay dirty. A poor shave and more zits.

AA

Dad passed in 2004, right after his 90th birthday. I remember him removing the blade from his Gillette and lathering my face so that I could shave, too. One of my favorite memories is of his 7 year old grandson sitting on his lap and very carefully giving him a shave with a Bic disposable. Every now and again they would take a break and laugh their fool heads off....

Sometimes nowadays I'll lather up, begin to shave, and see his loving eyes looking back at me.

Top Bottom