What's new

Wetshaving is expensive bu more enjoyable!

Ordered a Simpson Duke 3 & a bar of Haslinger soap from West Coast Shaving since they stand behind their brushes for a year against shedders. I would be 1/2 sick to pay that much for a brush & happen to end up with a shedder. Wetshaving is alot more enjoyable but costly in ways!

You could buy a vintage Gillette off Ebay for $10, get a low cost synthetic brush for $10, and some blades and Arko, and be DE shaving for $25 . . . . . . but who can do that?

I Totally Agree; It is only as expensive as you make it! Sorry for my poor choice of words in the beginning. Thank you Greybeard 57 for the correction!

+1. You can save money if that is your goal. You can also spend money if you turn shaving into a hobby! Your choice!

Tripple or so ditto :) I have 3 razors, a brush, 4 soaps / cremes and 2 shave bowl / scuttles and I have still saved money over cartridge razors.

I would not say that wet shaving in and of itself is inherently expensive. If you kept your consumables down to what cartridge users have, like one razor, one lathering substance, and enough blades to last six months or so, it would be cheap. What IS expensive is its way of becoming an enjoyable hobby, and in that process tempting us to acquire more and more stuff, sometimes of the more expensive choices.

I have saved a lot of money by moving to wet shaving, if you look at how much cartridge razors cost and then compare that to blades alone, in about a year you will realize just how much money you have saved! I might have used more expensive cartridge razors but even with everything I have bought I am still saving money.

Once it becomes a hobby, talking about costs is out the window.

As a hobby though, unless you go the route of custom straights razors and Japanese honing stones, it is for most part a modest hobby spending-wise.

My favorite brushes are actually boar brushes, and I reached that conclusion after I sold my Kent and Duke. I hardly ever use my Tradere razor (i keep it for sentiment) but my Gillette NEW that I got on ebay is used half the time, next to my Gem and Ever Ready SEs. TOBS is not that expensive either but had it been I'd be very much content with LEA and Ingram or even Nivea.

I spent the first few months experimenting a bit, but for over a year now it's one razor, one brush, two soaps and a couple of the cheap classic aftershaves. I shave 7 days a week and love it. I buy a puck of VDH once a month at CVS for $2.39 and that's it.

Find what works for you then relax and enjoy it!

Top Bottom