What's new

"Wet Shaving"?

What is your definition of "wet shaving"?

For me, "wet shaving" is simply shaving with water, regardless of one's weapon of choice.

How about you? Do you define it more narrowly, say, so as to exclude Gillette ProGlides and other modern, multi-blade razors? How about using a can of goo? Is that excluded?

For me wet shaving equals water plus a proper soap/cream and any manual razor whether that be straight, DE or cart
DE shaving is water plus proper soap/cream and a DE razor only
straight shaving is water plus proper soap/cream and a straight razor only
i think what we on B&B celebrate most is DE shaving. The traditional safety razor shaving

For me definition of wet shaving should never cover canned goop or of course electric razors

Wet shaving = shaving that is not done dry.
That means the beard needs to be saturated (by prep) and then kept wet by good products (which excludes many types of canned foam.)
I'm not sure how "wet shaving" came to be synonymous with traditional shaving, but it is not something I can agree with. Traditional shaving is wet shaving, but not all wet shaving is traditional. I would even count wet-and-dry electric razors as "wet shaving" when used appropriately.

By strict scientific definition, anything other than electric/wind-up.

Personally, and from non-hobbyists that I chat with, the general opinion seems to be use of something other than canned products, and the use of an SE/DE/Straight.

A big part of wet shaving is the prep (lots of hot water: a shower, a hot towel over the beard, and/or applying lather with a brush and then applying a hot towel, etc.), and keeping the face hydrated throughout the shave (for example, splashing hot water on your face between passes). In addition, there is a lot of water applied to the face after the shave; generally, one uses warm water to wash all of the remaining lather off, followed by a cold water rinse. As you can see, there is an ample amount of hot, warm, and cold water used from beginning to end. Contrast that with buying a can of a cream or gel, spreading it, and shaving. The use of a SE, DE, or a straight razor is definitely preferred for many reasons including, but not limited to, better skin care, less irritation, a connection to history, and enjoyment. However, I believe if you use a modern multi-blade razor, but go through the prep, mid-shave, and post-shave using lots of water as I briefly noted, then you can wet shave even when using a ProGlide.

By strict scientific definition, anything other than electric/wind-up.

Personally, and from non-hobbyists that I chat with, the general opinion seems to be use of something other than canned products, and the use of an SE/DE/Straight.

+1.

Never use the term, "Traditional Shaving" covers both the use of a brush to make a lather with either soap or cream and the use of a DE or Straight. When among muggles I call it "Virtuous Shaving" to distinguish between those who understand the magic and those who don't.

To me wetshaving is wetshaving. This includes a multiblade cart and a can.

Technically wetshaving with an electric is also wetshaving but I am undecided over that. I did that for years and would still pick it over a multiblade cart.

Drives me nuts when people use the term wet shaving on here as the other option to canned goo

It is all the same

Gillette Fusion system is wet shaving...Norelco is not

If you take a look at the ingredients of canned goo (Every single brand), the first ingredient is water. Therefore, by definition, the goo is a part of wet shaving. Immutabilis regula

Wet shaving to me as described in some posts above it yes obviously water, but as the soaps creams brushes and de se razors

Hmmm.. it seems the common denominator here is the use of a brush to apply lather versus canned goo which is by hand.

Personaally I still carry a cart when travelling by air (one strip-search too many, don't ask) but ALWAYS pack brush and soap.

Maybe it's the use of the brush that defines it - but who do we have to define it to??? And why???

Top Bottom