What's new

Wet Shaving With An Electric

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have a Braun M90 MobileShave electric shaver that I use to use occasionally in the olden days when travel was allowed. This razor is designed to be used wet or dry. I have always used it dry and hated shaving with it. It is battery powered, has a foil head and isolating cutting head.

Being ARKO August, I am thinking of trying to shave with the M90 using an ARKO face lather. As I have never wet shaved with an electric before, what type of lather do you recommend that I aim for use with this electric shaver?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You are a crazy man, and I mean that in a good way.
I lead an adventurous life. This morning I even shaved with one of those hidden-edge razors.
IMG_20210813_091121.jpg
Only real men can shave with a DE/SE razor where they can't see the edge on their skin.

Last edited:
I don't know what that is, but it looks too much like the razor that was tearing up the face of one of our newcomers, until someone advised him to get a functional razor.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This is the electric I would like to try wet shaving with using ARKO face lathered.

Braun-MobileShave-M-90-in-the-hand-1024x1024.jpg

It's been a while, but I tried shaving with my M60 MobileShave (basically the same as your's without the little trimmer on the side) with Foamy or a Nivea gel. The design of the cutters on this style Braun clog up with the foam and in my experience didn't work well. Same problem with a Series 1 190s.

The current Braun Series 3 works damn good with Foamy or actual shaving cream applied with a brush. With the cream and my brush I use it in approximately the same consistency of Foamy.

I shave wet with an electric almost exclusively (travel being the sometime exception), and I use the same software and lather I use with a DE. That said, the M90 is not really designed or meant for shaving soap or foam. The "wet" designation means essentially you can rinse it underwater. Lather would probably gum up the innards, and it's certainly underpowered to horse through any decent lather. You were right to hate it - it's probably the least comfortable dry electric I've used, but it is very lightweight and sturdily built, and probably one of the most popular portable electrics (price being one consideration, size being another, with comfort far in the back of the bus). As an experiment, your plan has merit though, and I'm sure many here would appreciate your sacrifice, face and razor.... :thumbup:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Gentleman thank you for your replies. I have now read a few reviews on the M90. It looks like is was not designed for wet shaving, just washable.

I am still inclined to try and wet shave with it, just to see how it performs. I will start off with a normal DE quality ARKO face lather and water the lather down as I go to see if that changes things.

I normally shave with a straight razor. DE/SE razors scare me as I cannot see the blade edge on my skin.

Gentleman thank you for your replies. I have now read a few reviews on the M90. It looks like is was not designed for wet shaving, just washable.

I am still inclined to try and wet shave with it, just to see how it performs. I will start off with a normal DE quality ARKO face lather and water the lather down as I go to see if that changes things.

I normally shave with a straight razor. DE/SE razors scare me as I cannot see the blade edge on my skin.

On a positive note, it is pretty well sealed, and if it won't let water in, it probably won't let - much - soap in. :001_smile It just won't likely retain full speed when encountering lather. The screen isn't designed to shed foam either, so might try a bit thinner than normal ('specially for you SR guys :001_tongu) in the beginning so it doesn't start out blocked, then thicken up as needed.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am putting this little experiment off until after I have finished shaving my way through my Latin matching seven-day set in ARKO August.

I'll report back here once I get a result.

I have a Braun M90 MobileShave electric shaver that I use to use occasionally in the olden days when travel was allowed. This razor is designed to be used wet or dry. I have always used it dry and hated shaving with it. It is battery powered, has a foil head and isolating cutting head.

Being ARKO August, I am thinking of trying to shave with the M90 using an ARKO face lather. As I have never wet shaved with an electric before, what type of lather do you recommend that I aim for use with this electric shaver?
Ive done it before and electrics actually give really great shaves with shave gel. I used to use a Braun Series 3 with some shave gel and it was awesome.
I never personally tried it with a brush and soap because thats just silly but Im sure it would work great. Youd probably want a lather that is a bit more thin and watery though, so that it doenst clog up the foil.
I personally wouldnt waste my time with that M90 though. Those little travel razors are really too underpowered to give you a good shave.

Reactions: ctr

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning I shaved with my M90 and an ARKO stick - face lathered. I did my normal SR shaving preparation except with a very wet lather. I then proceeded to shave with the M90, using very light pressure.

The shave result was not as close as my SR shaving, but that was to be expected. The surprise was that it all worked!

I was left with a CCS result and no skin irritation. The M90 normally leaves me with an irritated neck.

IMG_20210825_081147.jpg
After the shave, I rinsed, dried and oiled the cutting head and foil.

When I am allowed to travel again, I will be now much more willing to wet shave with my M90.

This morning I shaved with my M90 and an ARKO stick - face lathered. I did my normal SR shaving preparation except with a very wet lather. I then proceeded to shave with the M90, using very light pressure.

The shave result was not as close as my SR shaving, but that was to be expected. The surprise was that it all worked!

I was left with a CCS result and no skin irritation. The M90 normally leaves me with an irritated neck.

After the shave, I rinsed, dried and oiled the cutting head and foil.

When I am allowed to travel again, I will be now much more willing to wet shave with my M90.

:thumbup:

I cannot comment as I have never tried it. Being ARKO August, all of my shaves are with ARKO.

I can answer that - for me - because I use all the software with an electric that I use for a DE, with the exception of travel when I do use a pre-shave (usually Afta or Freelette). Using a brush and soap results in the closest shave - for me - that I can get with an electric. And depending on the electric, can be pretty close to a blade shave (Panasonic's Arc 5 being a prime example). A pre-shave is quicker and more convenient, but not nearly as close.

I tried wet shaving with my Braun Series 9 last night - I lathered up with Schappenmelk soap from Cold River Water Works - a great soap.

The sensation was comfortable indeed but the shave was too close for me with razor burn on my neck. Even with very light pressure it was just too much for my sensitive face.

Think I’ll stick to shaving dry until I get my electric shaving technique down. Actually I may grow a beard for awhile as I’m getting tired of shaving lately haha [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom