What's new

Wet Shaving is Trending... is 2020 the year?

Gents,

I wrote a post on wet shaving, making a case for why it will be trending in 2020. The market is being recognized and expanding slowly with more vendors as more shavers become aware and re-educated on traditional shaving.

In the post, I also break down the cost of ownership in 1-10 years and compare it to the current trend with shaving clubs.

Please let me know what you think. Suggestions for correct/improvements are very welcome.

Thank you,
Omar

Under Brushless Application . . .
" to catch the hair, which and doesn't cut cleanly " -- remove the superfluous 'and'

Under Better for Mental Health . . .
You state "Yes, that's right, traditional wet shaving is fun and therapeutic." which comes off almost as a statement of empiric fact. Now, while I absolutely agree there is much to be said for the psychological positives of traditional wet shaving--most of us do find it enjoyable/fun, and I would imagine to varying degrees 'therapeutic'--I'm afraid someone with more academic rigidity will take you to task for a claim made without thorough scientific vetting. I know what you're saying, but I'd bet someone with an axe to grind may grouse about lack of documented studies, etc.

Overall though I think it's a good overview and comparison of the two major shaving styles. My personal experience has been a bit on the more expensive side when I transitioned to DE, but I now have enough product to last me literally years without re-stocking, and I enjoy the daily process exponentially more than I ever did before.

Oops! The "and" was a mistake. Good catch.

I could say "can be very" therapeutic. I feel most research, unless it's a mathematical formula of sort derived from a hypothesis and peer-reviewed, are biased to some degree, which why I took the liberty to make that statement... and that it's also marketing :001_rolle

You know something, I've noticed, most of our customers don't buy in the abundance or have a collection that we enthusiasts :a17:tend to end up with pretty quickly. Many are new to traditional shaving, but who knows... god help them if they become one of us. :001_tongu

Thank you for reading and giving me your feedback, Jeff!

Under Brushless Application . . .
" to catch the hair, which and doesn't cut cleanly " -- remove the superfluous 'and'

Under Better for Mental Health . . .
You state "Yes, that's right, traditional wet shaving is fun and therapeutic." which comes off almost as a statement of empiric fact. Now, while I absolutely agree there is much to be said for the psychological positives of traditional wet shaving--most of us do find it enjoyable/fun, and I would imagine to varying degrees 'therapeutic'--I'm afraid someone with more academic rigidity will take you to task for a claim made without thorough scientific vetting. I know what you're saying, but I'd bet someone with an axe to grind may grouse about lack of documented studies, etc.

Overall though I think it's a good overview and comparison of the two major shaving styles. My personal experience has been a bit on the more expensive side when I transitioned to DE, but I now have enough product to last me literally years without re-stocking, and I enjoy the daily process exponentially more than I ever did before.

Very well done. Might I suggest the following rephrasing of the previous feedback:

"Yes, that's right, traditional wet shaving offers (can, may...?) therapy and fun instead of an exasperating rush. The processes involved encourage you to slow and focus on yourself for a moment, taking advantage of the time to self-reflect. The whole routine relaxes your nerves, levels blood pressure, and helps start the day with a good mood."

Forgive me for being unable to halt at that point, but an HS English teacher used to nag me for using the word 'it' one too many times. In this tiny nugget though, I'm sure the reader won't find any ambiguity.

:)

Good reading material. The cost maybe cheaper than disposables in the long run but of course if you have gone overboard like a lot of us here it isn't. I have spent more in the 3 years I have been at this than I would have in 3 lifetimes of disposables and Gillette Foamy. What I can say is that I don't mind shaving again and although I can't say it is therapeutic but it is enjoyable to be able to make a lather to shave with. Before my start a little over 3 years ago I used twin disposables provided I shaved every 2 to 3 days but I rarely did that and was only shaving once a week using my dads old Schick injector because I hated shaving, now back to every 2 to 3 days for the most part.

Nice, I like it. I took your suggestion and re-arranged a few words. Thank you!

Very well done. Might I suggest the following rephrasing of the previous feedback:

"Yes, that's right, traditional wet shaving offers (can, may...?) therapy and fun instead of an exasperating rush. The processes involved encourage you to slow and focus on yourself for a moment, taking advantage of the time to self-reflect. The whole routine relaxes your nerves, levels blood pressure, and helps start the day with a good mood."

Forgive me for being unable to halt at that point, but an HS English teacher used to nag me for using the word 'it' one too many times. In this tiny nugget though, I'm sure the reader won't find any ambiguity.

:)

You know, I've never tried an injector, for whatever reason. Maybe it doesn't appeal to me from a design perspective. Am I missing out? Should I try one? What is your recommendation?

Good reading material. The cost maybe cheaper than disposables in the long run but of course if you have gone overboard like a lot of us here it isn't. I have spent more in the 3 years I have been at this than I would have in 3 lifetimes of disposables and Gillette Foamy. What I can say is that I don't mind shaving again and although I can't say it is therapeutic but it is enjoyable to be able to make a lather to shave with. Before my start a little over 3 years ago I used twin disposables provided I shaved every 2 to 3 days but I rarely did that and was only shaving once a week using my dads old Schick injector because I hated shaving, now back to every 2 to 3 days for the most part.

You know, I've never tried an injector, for whatever reason. Maybe it doesn't appeal to me from a design perspective. Am I missing out? Should I try one? What is your recommendation?

Only reason I have it is because it was my dads. It is a J type. I do use it on occasion but it is so aggressive I don't care to use it. I think there are some out there less aggressive than this one but not sure. I only own this one to where I own a handful of DE that range from mild to Slim and a Fatboy. The one I have is equal to or a little more than my Slim set at 9 and I use it at 5 for the most part.

The reason I used it was because I got to the point I hated shaving and would only shave once a week, usually Sunday. Week old growth would clog any multi-blade razor but not these. Even though I shave every 2-3 days again if I go 4-5 days I kind of like using the injector because the blade is more rigid and I feel like it performs better on the heavier beard than a DE.

Do I recommend it? If you used conventional razor and don't mind using it then sure. If all you have ever used is DE then maybe not. It is not like DE where you have a hundred blades to choose from, an injector you Schick, Ted Pella and Personna. I have only used the Schick blade as I can find them at our local drugstore. If you can't find a design that appeals to you then that might be a different story. Just like anything you have to like it to want to use it.

Top Bottom