What's new

Wet shaving history.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Rereading this thread reminded me that my oldest uncle (a wheat and sheep farmer) was always a SR shaver. I remember him stropping his blade in the bathroom every morning before his shave.

He had a stroke in his 80's that left him bedridden. Then his loving wife, my material aunt, who was a RN would SR shave him every morning while he lay in bed.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I wonder if wet shaving was as complicated back in the early days as it is today. With the grain across the grain against the grain. I wish my dad or grand dad was still around to poke their brains about this topic. May be I can get some insight from you guys on here. Just curious.
Well, I’m probably old enough to be your grandfather and the answer is hell no.

My dad always used canned goo and carts. He never had any interest in using a brush, soaps, or creams and decorating the bathroom like a serial killer.

Rereading this thread reminded me that my oldest uncle (a wheat and sheep farmer) was always a SR shaver. I remember him stropping his blade in the bathroom every morning before his shave.

He had a stroke in his 80's that left him bedridden. Then his loving wife, my material aunt, who was a RN would SR shave him every morning while he lay in bed.
Your aunt was a very special woman

It seems that one pass was the norm back in the day.

So who was the wise guy who started to claim that 3 passes were needed and is the reason for a countless number of irritated faces over the years. :out: We should find this person, give him a three pass shave with a Mach 3 and then splash a whole bottle of Cat O' Nine on his face. :syn:

Everyone is different. The only way I can AVOID irritation is to do a FOUR-pass shave with a great soap using a very light touch.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I watched my dad shave in the late 50s. He had one razor. One brush. It was green with a green holder that stored the brush upside down. He had two tubes of shave cream. Palmolive lather and Palmolive brushless. He had a Clark Gable style mustache that he trimmed using the brushless cream and free handed the trimming with a single edge razor blade. I kept the brush, put in a new knot, and gave it to my son.
IMG_0103.JPG

Last edited:
I watched my dad shave in the late 50s. He had one razor. One brush. It was green with a green holder that stored the brush upside down. He had two tubes of shave cream. Palmolive lather and Palmolive brushless. He had a Clark Gable style mustache that he trimmed using the brushless cream and free handed the trimming with a single edge razor blade. I kept the brush, put in a new knot, and gave it to my son.
Nice story

Top Bottom