What's new

Wet shaving has ruined me.

Someone please explain how this happened. I shaved every damn day for the last nearly 20 years with a Schick Slim Twin and Edge gel. I might have tried a Gillette Sensor (Twin blade) but variety of shaving was not in the equation.

Fast forward to now and I'm obsessive about my shaves. Each evening I literally plan what I will shave with the next morning. Oh, the choices. Which razor? Which blade? Cream or soap? Which one? Shave prep? Hot towel? Glycerin? Face lather? Bowl lather? Pant, pant.....:w00t: I'm like an alcoholic looking for his next drink as I think about my next shave. It'll be even better tomorrow! Might have been a 9.5 today but I can do better tomorrow. Yeah, yeah that's it tomorrow. Wait, can't I shave twice in one day? Yeah, that's what I'll do I'll shave when I get home after work! No, I'll shave on my lunch break too! Three shaves, that's it! That can't be bad for you can it? No one will know. It's just three shaves in one day. A guy has to shave doesn't he?

Ok, I'm making this up, sort of, but the fact is, how come mediocre was acceptable for 20 years and now I won't stand for anything less than constant variety and perfect shaves?

What is interesting is that you are not a new member... Generally the euphoria settles down after a while... but you... :bored:

:thumbup1:

ignorance is bliss and awareness leads to obsession and discontent.

makes sense to me!

if you think this is bad, you should visit head-fi, their moto is "welcome to head-fi, sorry about the wallet", went in to see how good my headphones are, ended up buying a 150 euro pair of Futuresonics,

anyways, all hobbies require involvment and investment, some of us shave with a wilkinson classic DE which comes with a 5 pack of wilkinson blades, a puck of williams or wilkinson soap, an omega travel brush and some nivea ASB, which is a setup that costs around 20 euros here in spain, basicly the cost of a fusion razor with a couple of cartriges, every 8-12 months you spend 15 bucks ordering 100 IP or RP blades, the soap puck is around 2 bucks every year, and the ASB will probobly also run you 2 bucks every 3-4 months, so wetshaving as a basic thing is cheap, even if you want to spend a bit more on a classic gillette, i have 2 slims, either one of them didnt pass from 15 bucks on ebay,

but then, the obsession comes, you want to try truefitt, trumper, tabac, that omega travel brush looks a bit poor and you want a shavemac or a tylor, some feathers or swidish G´s, maybe some harris pink aftershave, and you see a tuggle or a sticky and you get RAD,

its just where you draw your line, i love to try a sticky, but my basic logic dosnt allow me to spend $200 on a razor, i had to debate for 45 minutes with myself to get the aqua di parma shaving cream (its very good, but its not $50 good, but it is very dense),

set a series of limits and rules, i fallowed my rules, and now im shaving with merkur blades becuase my RP and IP are in the mail XD,

I can't believe how much fun it is. I too look forward to the next morning shave, which razor I'm using and what cream etc. I love it.

DaveS:thumbup1:

I wake up in the middle of the night and hope it is daybreak, feel my beard and hope that the stubble get a little thicker! On the weekends I only do one pass in the morning so I can shave later in the day. I save the back of my neck for every other day so I can do it at a different time from my face. :scared:

I am worried!

Richard

I must admit its funny to me that I now look forward to the next shave each day. Was never against shaving, more indifferent than anything else. Once my Merkur 38c got here on Monday, the game changed forever :thumbup1:

Gafer, that sounds like me - GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

I started DE at the end of Nov 07, after years of using good electric shavers (got panasonic ES8163). A mate at work brought up the subject of DE, and I was intigued. First shave with a murker 23c + merkur blades was *rubbish*. I perservered though and got the technique down for prep, lathering and the actual shave itself, and now I'm hooked.

The missus has noted that my skin seems clearer, less 'grey' (?) than it did with the electric shaver, and the annoying thick stubbly bits that the electric shaver cant get rid of on the lower neck have gone too, so its definately a good thing.

I've also had/have the 'two shaves a day isnt weird is it?' obsession, and have felt frustrated that my hair doesnt grow back quicker ==> I'm limited to just one shave a day, which means that I cant practice my technique more often or try out more blades from the 21 blade sample pack that I got.

I read all the B&B reviews of straight razors, DE blades, DE razors, creams and so on, and am trying to limit myself to having just three creams on the go at once, but have got a list of about 6 shaving creams lined that I want to purchase next.

Got a Slant a while back, but now am hankering for a 38c as well. And then that will be that for razors ... won't it?

Someone please explain how this happened. I shaved every damn day for the last nearly 20 years with a Schick Slim Twin and Edge gel. I might have tried a Gillette Sensor (Twin blade) but variety of shaving was not in the equation.

Fast forward to now and I'm obsessive about my shaves. Each evening I literally plan what I will shave with the next morning. Oh, the choices. Which razor? Which blade? Cream or soap? Which one? Shave prep? Hot towel? Glycerin? Face lather? Bowl lather? Pant, pant.....:w00t: I'm like an alcoholic looking for his next drink as I think about my next shave. It'll be even better tomorrow! Might have been a 9.5 today but I can do better tomorrow. Yeah, yeah that's it tomorrow. Wait, can't I shave twice in one day? Yeah, that's what I'll do I'll shave when I get home after work! No, I'll shave on my lunch break too! Three shaves, that's it! That can't be bad for you can it? No one will know. It's just three shaves in one day. A guy has to shave doesn't he?

Ok, I'm making this up, sort of, but the fact is, how come mediocre was acceptable for 20 years and now I won't stand for anything less than constant variety and perfect shaves?

Once they've seen Paris, you can't get them back on the farm!

ignorance is bliss and awareness leads to obsession and discontent.

makes sense to me!

Enlightenment is a powerful motivator.

God, what a bunch of enablers we are =P

That would be me-RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

Got a Slant a while back, but now am hankering for a 38c as well. And then that will be that for razors ... won't it?

Nope, it won't!

The basic process we face as men is that we(for the most part) must perform a task we hate(shaving) to start our day off with and then go deal with some people who we wouldn't deal with if we didn't have to because of work. So our day starts off bad and rapidly heads downhill. Now flip the script-start the day off with an activity you absolutely love and regardless of what happens the rest of the day(nothing catastrophic), it's still a good day because we have our next shave to look forward to. Just enjoy the ride and don't fight it-whether you are a budget wetshaver, luxury wetshaver, or must have everything mentioned wetshaver; you know you're not alone.:thumbup1:

Marty

I am with you... I am becomeing more nancy by the moment... When I bought my Witch Hazel I was thinking... Why by the regular when I can have rose... It is getting bad!

Top Bottom