What's new

Wet shaving causes my oily skin?

Hello friends,

I've been reading these forums for some time and wanted to thank you for all the tips and tricks, it is a very useful resource.

I've browsed through the 'oily skin' threads but can't seem to find the answer to my specific question. So I was wondering if you might give me some advice?

I've struggled with oily skin since my early twenties. I was looking back over some old photos recently and made the connection that the start of my oily skin issues coincided with my switch from electric shaving to wet shaving. To test this theory, I have been exclusively electric shaving since March 2020. Since then, my oily skin problems have pretty much subsided and the various ailments that accompany oily skin have cleared up. My skin hasn't been this stable, or normal, for years. However, the issues that accompany electric shaving - namely the difficulty of getting a clean shaven neck without over-irritating the area and the general lack of exfoliation - have returned. Though not nearly as problematic as the oily skin, they remind me of why I decided to try wet shaving in the first place!

My electric shave routine consists of:
  • shave
  • shower
  • apply Old Spice AS
  • Occasionally I'll use an electric pre-shave
Last week, I decided to get the wet shaving gear out and see if my three months of normal oil production had made a difference. Lo and behold, within a day the oil was back with a vengeance! So I'm wondering if there's something in my approach to wet shaving that I'm getting wrong? I prefer the art of wet shaving, and I like the exfoliating effect it has on my skin and ease with which I can achieve a clean shaven neck compared to electric.

My wet shave routine is:
  • shower
  • shave with Speick cream
  • warm water rinse
  • cold water rinse
  • apply Old Spice AS
  • Occasionally follow up with an oil-free moisturiser if I'm feeling tight
As you can see, it's about as basic a routine as you can get. Over the years, I've tried cartridge (Sensor) and DE razors, different shave creams, witch hazel, and alum blocks. Nothing seems to return my skin to normal in the way that an electric shaver does. My feeling is that the problem lies either with a common ingredient in shaving creams, or in the action of applying a blade to the skin.

So my question is: can anyone out there suggest where I might be going wrong here? Am I doomed to the slightly less satisfying electric shave forever?

Apologies for the lengthy post, thank you in advance for any help or advice you might be able to provide!

Robert

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Can you wet shave with your electric? If so, give it a go just like your wet shave routine is. That will determine if it's the blade or something else.

It is a matter of changing one thing at a time to determine what is or is not causing the oily skin.

Later you could try wet shaving before a shower, shaving with cold water only, trying shave soaps with different formulas, etc. There will be a reason, you just have to find it.

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Agree with the previous post...go through the factors of your wet shave routine and, one at a time, change them and try again. In my mind, showering after you shave might be the most helpful because you're washing off any residue that may have been left by Speick. But after that change, ditch Speick and try something else. You may also want to try something other than Old Spice. If you like the scent of Old Spice, you could always try something like it. Stirling Spice comes to mind. Good luck to you.

It is all about sebum release. Yes, you could try to shave with warm water (not hot) before taking shower. If you face latherer you could try bowl lathering and apply it by painting strokes. I think, Speick or moisturizer spoils your sebum balance.
Best of luck :001_smile

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Is it safe to assume you've already tried changing out the Speick cream for a few other creams/soaps? That would seem to be the easiest change.

Is it safe to assume you've already tried changing out the Speick cream for a few other creams/soaps? That would seem to be the easiest change.
Yes. Over the years I've tried creams and soaps from Proraso, Edwin Jagger, Haslinger, and Tabac. Always get the same oily results. Speick just seems to give me the best results in terms of lathering and slickness, a good no fuss shave.

Looking back over my two routines written down above, I'm wondering if it could be as simple as shaving before I shower, like I do with the electric. Something to try.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Reporting back as promised!

I have of late been wet shaving before showering, and that seems to have done the trick :)

Must have been the residue that the product was leaving on. I'm happy for you. Always good to achieve the desired result!

Happy Shaves, comrade!

@robertzombie thanks for posting regarding this situation. I had my money on the DE blade contact with your skin producing extra oil as a protection response.

Not suggesting you do (as problem has been resolved) but would have been interesting to see if electric shaving after a shower gave a similar oily production response.

I have oily skin too. I avoid using any soap with tallow and AS with glycerin although the latter might not always be possible.

Reporting back as promised!

I have of late been wet shaving before showering, and that seems to have done the trick :)
Good news! Speick cream has a very nice and clean ingredient list. The only conditioning agents are glycerin and beeswax. It seems that those ingredients, as good as they may be, are not a good match with your skin type. The shower must be washing them away.

I have oily skin too. I avoid using any soap with tallow and AS with glycerin although the latter might not always be possible.
Wait.. I thought glycerin was supposed to be good for oily skin?
It's supposed to mouísturize without getting your skin greasy - which i thought would be perfect match for oily skin.
Am i getting something wrong?

Hey Mate, when I first started I used to get a waxy/oily feeling under my chin compared to the gillette cartridges. I persisted and that feeling eventually went away, not sure how or why.

I have oily skin myself when it starts getting warmer outside. I notice you use mentioned you use a moisturizer, this might contribute to the oily skin even though you said it was non-oily, I don't use anything that moisturizes, oily or not, during the warmer months. I only use AS and stay away from balms. I also try to stay away from tallow based soaps although I do have at least one but most are vegan based. I only use moisturizers and/or AS balms in the cold months because my skin does get on the dry side when it dips below freezing.

Top Bottom