What's new

Wet Shaving and the art of pipe smoking, or Rambling on

Shaving and pipe smoking? A curious combination. Actually after 57 yrs on this planet I have resumed both wet shaving and pipe smoking and I find that they compliment each other very well. It all started when I decided that the act of shaving with the electric razor was a mindless pursuit. At least in my case. I would proceed with shaving all the while walking around the house doing stuff to get ready for the day. Then one day while at a flea market I found and old blade safety razor and blades and my life was about to change. That razor and the old blades did not fare so well, but I did move on and with suggestions from this forum have found some workable shaving products. At about the same time the lovely wife and I were embarking on our vacation trip to the South Eastern States of Tennessee, South Carolina and Georgia. Stopped in a drug store in Lawrenceburg on Hwy 64, just across the street from the David Crockett museum. I had gone in to see if I could buy a shaving soap. Figured this was just the place when men might still use the stuff. Wow! Was I right. This old town drug store was right out of Mayberry. At the back of the store was a card table with several gentlemen drinking coffee and playing dominos. Seemed like they had been there for years, and they probably had. A great experience to start me on my wet shaving journey. Oh, and I did pick up a copy of "A NARRATIVE OF THE LIFE OF DAVID CROCKETT OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE. A fine read! A couple days later I was introduced to The Art Of Shaving products at a men's clothing shop at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis. A fine hotel of great stature to be sure. I had taken my newly found English brier pipe with me and a bit of pipe tobacco. Now I was finding that the act of shaving was becoming a relaxing function and the pipe smoking similarly was very restful in the evening. Amazing how well they go together.

In this world of fast paced life, some may stop to smell the roses, I however begin each day with the gentlemanly act of wet shaving and in the evening a fine bowl.

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You'll find a lot of avid or former pipe smokers here, as well as experts on cigars.

Sorry, but my stash of Bohemian Scandal is not for sale. :001_rolle

Funny, at 57 I have been involved in old habits and new as well. Wet shaving for 40 years including 38 years with a brush and soap and about the last 10 years with a DE razor. Pipe smoking was on/off over the years and I still have a stash of pipes and some tobacco kept in decent condition at my office along with a growing supply of cigars that I have recently become involved with. The cigar/pipe habit is intermittent but I guess I enjoy it that much more.

Yet another kindred spirit. While I am new to both of these gentlemanly arts, I could not imagine living without either. I now look forward to shaving as a relaxing ritual rather than chore. I have actually been disappointed my beard is not growing fast enough.:confused: And my time with the briar is a chance for pause and reflection. It is a nice change of pace to find some solace in todays society with these "antiquated" rituals.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Althoug I've officially retired from pipe smoking, I still take pleasure in picking up a great tin, say an old Rattray, and just holding it in my hand.

You'll find a lot of avid or former pipe smokers here, as well as experts on cigars.

Sorry, but my stash of Bohemian Scandal is not for sale. :001_rolle

I'm very sorry to say that I came to enjoying the ritual of the briar too late to have the opportunity to sample Bohemian Scandal. I love the products created by Mr. Pease.

I enjoyed your post. I (rarely) smoked a tobacco pipe in college, several years ago. I was clueless about such pursuits, but loved the smell, the process, and the relaxation. I'd love to get back to it, but with a more educated mind. Do you have any recommendations for a pipe/tobacco to get reacquainted with this luxury?

My DE kit (an HD, some Derby Extras, and a not-too-pricey badger brush) hasn't even arrived yet, but I was drawn to proper wet shaving for the many of the same reasons drew me to the pipe: sophistication, ritual, and savouring the moment.

It's why I love scotch, leather, and dark hardwood. In this world of "Simulation and Simulacra," it is refreshing – even necessary – to indulge in simple and sensual pleasures. No interfaces. No pixels. Just a plain reality that is slowly being forgotten by most.

I have purchased several English briar older used pipes. They all smoke well and some fit my mouth better than others. I don't think that you could go wrong with English briar. As far as tobacy is concerned I would go to a local tobacco/pipe shop and ask for new pipe smoker recommendations. Get a milder smoother style and go from there. Hope that helps.

I started pipe smoking shortly after taking up traditional wetshaving. It was at this time that I started taking the ideals of wetshaving (spending more time, getting a better result etc) and relating it to most, if not all aspects of my life. As a result I now find I am more diligent in my daily work and take pride in most things I do. Not to mention I now have yet another AD to add to the list - PAD and TAD! Anyway, always nice to see another pipe smoker around, we are something of a scarcity here in northern Ireland!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I've decided to take the winter off from pipe smoking, since I don't smoke in the apartment and it is too frickin cold outside.

Stopped in a drug store in Lawrenceburg on Hwy 64, just across the street from the David Crockett museum. I had gone in to see if I could buy a shaving soap. Figured this was just the place when men might still use the stuff. Wow! Was I right. This old town drug store was right out of Mayberry. At the back of the store was a card table with several gentlemen drinking coffee and playing dominos. Seemed like they had been there for years, and they probably had. [/IMG]

Sounds like a great mental image, don't suppose you have pictures at all?

I've been very fond of the cheap Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes like 5 - 7 bucks a piece and no worries if they get messed up through carry, however I keep a personal stash of fine Peterson briars at home. I've been sampling several different types of tobacco recently many are old standbys in my area like Half and Half, Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Middleton's Cherry Blend. However I'm awaiting about 7 tins of Peterson tobacco to arrive in the mail. I'm new to pipe smoking with only about 2 years under my belt, but I believe it's something I'm probably going to continue as I love the taste of the tobaccos and the relaxing nature of the smoke, I'm very fond of a wet shave with a straight razor and am working to extend my collection of the fine blades, certainly don't have to worry about friends and family using my razor anymore and it's just refreshing in the morning to take the time to shave and smell the soap. Still getting the hang of the blade though, suffering some nice cuts here and there, getting better though.

Top Bottom