What's new

Wet Shaving And Anxiety.

Wet shaving over these last 7+ years has really helped me in more ways than just facial skin care. I've always had moderate anxiety issues and was on medication for quite some time. Never anything too severe, but it was always present and it did negatively impact my life at various points. I tried the usual steps the therapists tell you - meditate, change of diet, exercise, etc. They all worked to a varying degree, but didn't quite do it for me.

Then, I discovered wet shaving. I had gotten so tired of the years of horrible shaves that I finally decided to do a little internet research and began my journey. After the first shave, I was hooked. There was something about taking 20-30 (I know that's on the long side) minutes of the day getting my shave prep done, creating lather, and the whole ritualistic aspect of it, that I found so soothing. I get to zone out in my own little world warm of warm lathers, scents, and total concentration. After my shave, I'm in a total zen-like state. I'm completely calm, feel great, and just generally happier over all. The after glow effect lasts the rest of the day and night too.

It's almost as if wet shaving has become my own personal meditation - I almost lose myself in it. I know if I break concentration, I'll pay for it with a weeper or cut. It is a wonderful way of disciplining your mind. I genuinely look forward to my shaves at the end of the day now as a great way to unwind and relax.

Thought I'd share my take on wet shaving. Anyone else have any similar experiences? :001_302:

Thank you for sharing that @CalmAsHinduCows

While anxiety has thankfully never been an issue for me depression has and wet shaving has played an important part of my self-care. In the past when would get into a funk I'd stop looking after myself; not work out, eat poorly, stop shaving, etc. Once I got back into WS'ing I found that I enjoyed the entire process so much I'd look forward to the daily shave and that simple act kept me on track with everything else in me looking after me.

Keep up the good fight brother!

Great read! So glad this is helping you.

My anxieties usually spawn from starting new things (unfamiliar territory) and issues with confidence. I’ll tell you that DE/SR shaving has certainly helped with confidence and improving self image.

Congrats, Sir Calm, on your shaving therapy success!
Indeed, wet shaving, like other hobbies, can reduce stress and increase sense of fulfillment!
I share similar benefits from my wet shaving experiences!
Thanks for sharing!

comp march 2018.jpg

Originally I started wetshaving to save money... OK you can stop laughing now. I was surprised, like you, that the focus on it does have stress reducing properties. My daily moment of Zen. For that reason I’m hoping to transition to straight razors, as I can now rush a DE shave and get away with it. Straights require more concentration. Also the stropping can be it’s own calming ritual as well.

That's why I often shower and shave at night: the ritual is very calming.

I almost exclusively do this. I have moderate anxiety, more so situational and agitated. A good shave cleans the day off and shaves my spirit clean, so to speak. I must add, I'm fully bearded and shave my head, so having clean hair on my face and BBS scalp feels really nice on a cool pillowcase and helps me sleep too!

Wet shaving over these last 7+ years has really helped me in more ways than just facial skin care. I've always had moderate anxiety issues and was on medication for quite some time. Never anything too severe, but it was always present and it did negatively impact my life at various points. I tried the usual steps the therapists tell you - meditate, change of diet, exercise, etc. They all worked to a varying degree, but didn't quite do it for me.

Then, I discovered wet shaving. I had gotten so tired of the years of horrible shaves that I finally decided to do a little internet research and began my journey. After the first shave, I was hooked. There was something about taking 20-30 (I know that's on the long side) minutes of the day getting my shave prep done, creating lather, and the whole ritualistic aspect of it, that I found so soothing. I get to zone out in my own little world warm of warm lathers, scents, and total concentration. After my shave, I'm in a total zen-like state. I'm completely calm, feel great, and just generally happier over all. The after glow effect lasts the rest of the day and night too.

It's almost as if wet shaving has become my own personal meditation - I almost lose myself in it. I know if I break concentration, I'll pay for it with a weeper or cut. It is a wonderful way of disciplining your mind. I genuinely look forward to my shaves at the end of the day now as a great way to unwind and relax.

Thought I'd share my take on wet shaving. Anyone else have any similar experiences? :001_302:
Thanks for sharing your story. 20 to 30 minutes? Really? What's the rush? Take your time...enjoy. I think most of us use wetshaving as our therapy from the stresses of life. I certainly do. For me it is the only way to start my day properly and prepare myself to face a crazy world. It is a bit of self-pampering that, for me, is a way to manage my own ongoing anxiety issues. It's funny that you posted this thread. I was considering starting a similar discussion, but couldn't seem to find the words.

I like this and use shaving for the same thing. there are days i cant wait to get home from work and spend some time relaxing with luxury. ive even played various music while doing the routine. i quite often will play the japanese folk songs channel on pandora.

When I get done shaving (usually at night) I feel so relaxed. It's as if I were meditating. It also helps my anxiety issues. Just being on this site reading about our hobby relaxes me. It's kind of a win - win situation.

I have posted about this before. I switched back to a (now many) DE razor(s) around the time my wife became terminally ill. During her illness the 15 or 20 minutes a day became a refuge from her illness and the time for me to relax. She is now gone almost a year but I still imagine her hand on my cheek and her saying “wow”. We must all find comfort where we can. I completely understand that feeling you get.

In my opinion I have thought this shaving business was a bit over done . But reading about the Zen aspects and it’s meditive and relaxing advantages makes much sense. My normal way to shave is get it done and over with. In the future I will try a slower and more minded method.

I understand exactly where are coming from. Although I don't really have any current anxiety issues, I am totally into the sense of relaxation I can achieve during my minimum 45 minute shower and shave. I enjoy trying new soaps, blades, aftershaves, etc., and find that every new experience simply adds to my enjoyment.

And yes, I did come back to DE shaving after many years using cartridges mainly to save money. We all know how that story ends. :001_rolle

This is a really interesting thread. I'm another forumite who's had anxiety disorder, and while I don't spend as much time as some of you do prepping and shaving (I'm in the 7-9 minute range), I too find that the focus required to do a good job face lathering and shaving to be profoundly meditative, and the experience of shaving, the sounds and smells and tactile sensations of it, takes me right out of my ruminative mind.

I’d be lost if I had to ditch the ritual. The process plus the sense of satisfaction when finished make a huge difference for me. It’s honestly one of the few things I do that I love so much that just allows me to stay focused but totally zone out.

I’m on the same page as the OP I find it so relaxing and spend roughly 15/20 minutes on shaving.
I shave at night and feel more relaxed when going to bed than ever before. I’ve gone from avoiding shaving as much as possible and then rushing it just to get it out of the way, to doing it as often as I can and taking my time. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom