What's new

Wet Shavers' Paradise

Well, I find myself in NYC today on a business trip and scooted out of the office a little early to pay a visit to Pasteur Pharmacy.

Many of you know of this jewel in the middle of the city. It is a small little pharmacy out of place between skyscrapers with cramped aisles. But one of those cramped aisles is full of shaving products, and I do mean full! I just stopped by to pick up a couple of shave sticks that I didn't want to pay online prices and shipping for. I spent a good 45 minutes just looking at all of the products, smelling a number of soaps that I have been considering just to see if I really liked the scents. They have brushes from Omega to Simpsons. They have razors from Merkur to Above the Tie. They have traditional and artisan products galore!

It took every ounce of my being to fight all the AD flare ups I was experiencing and I stuck to just buying my Spiek and La Toja shave sticks with an Alum Block stick for good measure since I didn't pack by block this time.

Next trip to NY, I'm going to have to block off some time to go back and pick up another thing or two. If you are ever in NYC, make a point to stop buy and check this little paradise out. It's freakin' awesome!
proxy.php

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I always look for places like that when I travel and never seem to have much luck. I'd like to find a place like that sometime.

I was in those same aisles two months ago. I'm loving the Cella aftershave splash I got there. And a tuck of Polsilvers.

Not shaving related, but I bought two bars of excellent milled lavender bath soap there too.

Is there a directory somewhere here on this site of brick-and-mortar stores that sell wet shaving supplies and accessories?

Is there a directory somewhere here on this site of brick-and-mortar stores that sell wet shaving supplies and accessories?

I was asking myself the very same thing. B&B should most definitely generate such a list. We've certainly got enough people on here that are geographically distributed throughout the world.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I was there a few months ago and spent about an hour browsing. After all that time I bought precisely nothing. You know how when you have 500 TV channels it is impossible to choose what to watch and you end up watching nothing? You can have too much choice some times and that is what happened, it was so overwhelming that I could not make a decision. I did notice the Simpson brushes on the top shelf still in the old grey boxes and not the current red ones - I can only imagine what is there; some times things are best left to the imagination. Great shop.

I particularly like the "Jazz Improvisation Workshop" sign up in the 2nd story window! I'm 'bout to give Joe Solomon a call for a jazz jam!

I used to spend many a lunch hour there, just browsing. I still have a few items that I purchased there. Nothing I've seen can beat Pasteur's.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I was there a few months ago and spent about an hour browsing. After all that time I bought precisely nothing. You know how when you have 500 TV channels it is impossible to choose what to watch and you end up watching nothing? You can have too much choice some times and that is what happened, it was so overwhelming that I could not make a decision. I did notice the Simpson brushes on the top shelf still in the old grey boxes and not the current red ones - I can only imagine what is there; some times things are best left to the imagination. Great shop.
P1040760.JPG On holiday!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Very cool!

Aren't there two locations? Trying to recall. The one I went to was right across from the Empire State Bldg.

AA

It definitely can be a bit overwhelming, at least the first time. There was just a lot to take in from a fairly narrow aisle. What I really appreciated though, was the ability to smell all of the options. You guys all do a great job of describing scents, but there is nothing like taking a whiff and deciding yea or nay on the scent before you buy.

Very cool!

Aren't there two locations? Trying to recall. The one I went to was right across from the Empire State Bldg.

AA

There are two locations. I went to the same one you did. As I understand it, this location has both traditional and artisan options. The one further uptown is a smaller location, so they just have traditional items up there.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks. A happy memory, for sure.

Everytime I break out the LPL Fougere, I recall where I got it.

AA

I was there in late June. In fact, I'm still using and used this morning a bar of bath soap I bought there (bath soaps are in the very back on the right). Super nice Pre de Provence soap. Amazing stuff.

I bought a Stirling aftershave and some injector blades, too, but held off on soap purchases because I have too much soap already. The one I was most tempted by when I smelled it was Barrister and Mann LeGrand Chypre, which smelled kind of like Coca-Cola but richer and broader; I loved the scent. And I have used B&M soaps before, so I was sure I would probably love the lather, too.

I have it in my mind that if the time ever comes that I need more software, I'm prolly going to spring for a puck of LGC, if he is still making it by the time my stash gets that low, lol.

But yeah, Pasteur's is the real deal.

Top Bottom