What's new

Wet shavers and beards.

I keep a trimmed Goatee. Mainly because I look 12 years old with out it lol. And my wife likes, she says I dont look as good with out and the guys with wives out there know, if the wife likes it, it stays.

I straight razor shave everything else. I love it. I am picking up a DE in a few days just so I can give them a try. I havnt tried one of those since i was about 17, and my grandfather handed me one after I asked if he had a razor and he handed me his.... OUCH! lol

I wondered about this too. When I began DE shaving two years ago I had a moustache which has been with me for 40 + years. Seven months ago I grew a goatee, but that has not in any way diminished the pleasure I get from my wet shaving ritual. :001_smile

I think people who pratice proper wetshaving and people who have a well-kept facial hair style have some commonalities. For instance, it takes quite a bit of time and effort to learn how to properly use a DE, lather soap, etcetera. And it takes time and effort to groom facial hair to a point where it looks nice. So I think the shared quality is a higher commitment to personal grooming, if that makes sense.

I don't see why it annoys people that there are wet shavers with beards posting on here. It makes perfect sense, in a way, because what better way to line up a beard than with a single bladed razor? I don't normally sport a beard, but I do typically go multiple days without shaving (bite me, it's not worth doing every day). I'm sporting a beard now for No Shave November and I'm really liking how easy it is to keep looking neat with a DE. It's my first time keeping a beard neat, and I'm impressed at how good my beard looks when I clean up my lower neck. I enjoy spending less time shaving, but I still enjoy my neck trims.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have lots of hair and still have plenty of face to shave. In the past all kinds of artistic facial hair were popular like handlebar mustaches with pointy goatees that were/are sculpted very artistically, and straights, se, and de are the perfect tools for the job. Not that I'm artistic about my goatee...I keep that for my wife as a compromise with this obsession.

$291746_2448704813455_1945958604_n.jpg

Last edited:
And my wife likes, she says I dont look as good with out and the guys with wives out there know, if the wife likes it, it stays.
I know you were joking around here, but if the shoe were on the other foot, and you were asking your wife to do an equivalent thing for you (maybe get her hair cut a certain way) she'd probably tell you you're a controlling d-bag. I read posts on here all the time about grown men "not being allowed to shave my beard or the wife will kill me". I find it more than a little sad. I think you guys realize on some level that she has all the power in the relationship and if she leaves and takes the kids with her, your life as you know it will be over. That's why you don't have any fight in you left.

And if that was a little too honest for Badger and Blade, you can ban me now. But I had to do it.

Last edited:
I know you were joking around here, but if the shoe were on the other foot, and you were asking your wife to do an equivalent thing for you (maybe get her hair cut a certain way) she'd probably tell you you're a controlling d-bag. I read posts on here all the time about grown men "not being allowed to shave my beard or the wife will kill me". I find it more than a little sad. I think you guys realize on some level that she has all the power in the relationship and if she leaves and takes the kids with her, your life as you know it will be over. That's why you don't have any fight in you left.

And if that was a little too honest for Badger and Blade, you can ban me now. But I had to do it.

lol

I'd agree.

My wife used to tell me to shave and gets the same response all the time.

She's quit.

Raven Koenes

My precious!

Then there is compromise.

I think that a guy who refers to himself as Eternal Bachelor probably has no business talking about marriage. And if that's a little to honest, well, tough.

I don't see why it annoys people that there are wet shavers with beards posting on here. It makes perfect sense, in a way, because what better way to line up a beard than with a single bladed razor? I don't normally sport a beard, but I do typically go multiple days without shaving (bite me, it's not worth doing every day). I'm sporting a beard now for No Shave November and I'm really liking how easy it is to keep looking neat with a DE. It's my first time keeping a beard neat, and I'm impressed at how good my beard looks when I clean up my lower neck. I enjoy spending less time shaving, but I still enjoy my neck trims.

This is how I feel, it's a lot of work keeping up a trimmed/cleaned beard. Am I meant to feel like a lesser wet shaver because I don't shave everything off? I'm still using a straight razor which requires sharpening, honing, and as much maintenance as the next person. It's pretty silly reasoning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll point out that the only people talking about those with beards being annoying to someone or a lesser person are those with beards. :)

I'm not annoyed with anyone nor do I think anyone is less of a shaver. I just found it interesting to note that so many YouTube videos by shave fanatics had beards. :) That's all. :)

I have lots of hair and still have plenty of face to shave. In the past all kinds of artistic facial hair were popular like handlebar mustaches with pointy goatees that were/are sculpted very artistically, and straights, se, and de are the perfect tools for the job. Not that I'm artistic about my goatee...I keep that for my wife as a compromise with this obsession.

View attachment 701801
Dude! That was exactly my look too until about three years ago! Excellent! If I weren't thinning so bad on top I'd probably still be rocking it. #3-4 buzz these days, talk about a change, plowed my shampoo savings into wet shaving gear I guess. My beard is still like that except I don't trim it so close.

Men compromise all the time. A woman's compromise is always getting what she wants. If that sounds like a good deal to you, have at it.
I can see why you would think that, however, it isnt true in a lot of cases. My wife doesnt ask for much. She works a full time job (school Teacher) and still does just as much at the house as I do. She doesnt want expensive things, or fancy purses or clothes. Honestly, If me keeping my goatee makes her happy, its the least that I can do. She is terrific mother, and has raised our two kids pretty much by herself while i was in the military. She lets me indulge in my cigars, shaving, and pretty much any other hobby I have. I was a bachelor for a long time, and I gotta say, I wouldnt go back. Sure, some wives can be super controlling, but so can some men. I know men that insist that the wife does all of the cleaning, cooking, laundry, and anything else they deem fit. That just isnt how marriage is supposed to work. Its no tlike a goatee is a huge amount of work. i mean if she was wanting me to change the way i dress, or change the way I act. Then there would be an issue. the point being i guess, is that marriage is a two way street. Both parties have to be equal and both parties will compromise. IF they can't then the marriage will not last. Your, my way or the highway attitude is no different, than a super controlling woman. In the end, I wouldnt trade what I have for anything.

I keep a goatee and a trimmed mustache that I could not as easily do with a DE or an electric as I find I can with a straight razor. I have not had any ingrown hairs since giving up the alternatives too. Being an old guy shaving is one of the nicer things I do for myself.
Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep a goatee and a trimmed mustache that I could not as easily do with a DE or an electric as I find I can with a straight razor. I have not had any ingrown hairs since giving up the alternatives too. Being an old guy shaving is one of the nicer things I do for myself.
Alex
Great video thanks for sharing. When I use a straight or shavette to carve out around the soul patch I turn the blade on end and go side to side. I would be afraid of losing the sides of the goat your way, but you make it look so easy. Actually the whole shave went by in no time. I would have thought you would spend much more time than that, but it looks great. Nice skills man. :thumbup1:

Before getting into Wet shaving I always did the 1/16th beard for 10 years due to modern shavers and the skin irritation I got... also I look way to young with no hair, my 3 yr old looks older than me :001_tongu. On the first of the year I got my gear and did my first Straight Razor shave AND decided to grow a real beard for the first time. So I learned to Straight shave only shaving my cheek line and my neck, and I love it. I have better control of the blade so I can take one hair off at a time if necessary where before with a cartilage razor as I had to guess where the blade was to the hair line I was trimming.
Now I am no expert but I went from a fast 2 minute clean up to a 20 minute shaving experience. I enjoy maintaining my razor and its edge along with caring more about my appearance as I have no skin irritation and maintaining a new beard (My image is at month 1 so a long way to go(1/31/17)).
With all that I got into SR shaving for 50.00 and even spending money on beard oil, balm and a comb I will be way under budget as a modern blade lasted me a week to a week and a half before pulling; so that is about 400 a year I save. That logic has been happy to spend some good money on a semi custom Straight at the end of the month and beard products. Also I tossed my old razor and have only SR shaved sine the start of the year.

I've had a full beard for over a year now.

Plenty of shaving still to be had on my neck, below the beard. (I have a trimmed beard, not a "Grizzly Adams"...)

Top Bottom