What's new

Wet shave, then dry shave with electric razor.

So i usually shave the night before work mostly because i have to wake up way too early to be doing 2-3 pass shaves.

By the time i wake up, even after achieving dfs or rarely bbs, i would still feel some roughness especially on my chin and jaw line, which is where i have the hardest time getting bbs.

Anyways, out of sheer coincidence, this morning, i was taking a dump and i got a little bored so i picked up my old panasonic electric razor that i ditched ever since i started DE shaving.

I went through my whole face with it for about a minute or two.

When i was done, my face was smoother than ever.

I would not have gotten this smoothness with electric or DE shaving alone. It felt like the electric removed the last few pieces of hair that the DE razor couldn't quite get for some reason. (hopefully it's my technique issue and will get better)

It was just a weird discovery that dry shaving followed by wet shaving cleans up the face pretty nicely. I should say they complement each other.

Though, i have to admit i felt like i did something i shouldnt have done. Like a taboo......

Comments welcomed.

Last edited:
Hey, what works is what works. Don't feel bad, I have a 4 direction grain pattern below the jawbone and very sensitive skin. I use a Wilkinson Sword Protector 3 for the first pass down there before going with a DE to prevent tuning my neck into hamburger meat.

I always got rash from an electric razor. I never get it from a DE shave. So I'd never want to touch an electric to my face again for fear of starting up a problem I've not had since I changed over to DE.

I always got rash from an electric razor. I never get it from a DE shave. So I'd never want to touch an electric to my face again for fear of starting up a problem I've not had since I changed over to DE.

I was actually getting razor burn/irriations on the neck with constant back and forth motion of electric razor, but when coupled with DE razor, I guess I go over particular areas fewer time with the electric razor, I found it not as irritating as before.

However, neck hair is pretty tricky with electric razor. I would still have lots of stubble leftover if I only used electric razor.

TMI on the thought process.

$Thinker.jpg

So...people being different, different things work best for different people.
I thought we were all supposed to be the same now.

Another possibility to consider:

Shave in the evening. In the morning, wash your face vigorously with water, bar soap & your hand for one minute, then start an ATG pass with a razor like the Gillette Tech or iKon OC. Then splash some water on your face, feel for any spots you need to touch up, and touch them up with water only. That should give you a DFS level shave in about 3-4 minutes.

Some people enjoy doing "preparation". But it is worth knowing that extensive preparation is not a requirement for a close, smooth shave. My normal shave time runs 7 minutes for a 3-4 pass shave, using either the Feather AS-D2 or iKon OC. I've been playing around with the R41, and my shave times with it are coming down too. It is entirely possible to get a CCS level shave in 5 minutes.

However, if you prefer doing a follow-up with an electric, and it works for you, feel free. Electric razors used to give me a lot of irritation, but I used them because I could shave while driving to work if needed. A small one with rechargeable batteries runs around $15-20, can sit in a drawer at work and do a touch-up pass in the afternoon, too. I never came to like electric razors, but they have a role.

I shave in the evening as well - I love taking 30-45 minutes to pamper myself, and be alone in my thoughts.

However, sometimes - I do have to touch up in the morning. For that, I use King Of Shaves gel plus my DE razor. Usually a quick touch up in the problem areas, limiting the amount of passes - so I don't irritate my skin and can have my evening indulgence.

My take on electrics, you get what you pay for. Perhaps even more so than one would think. And while I understand the self flagellations, it is perfectly acceptable to use any and all tools at hand to put your best face on.

... Just because it's a total admission of failure as a competent wet shaver should be of no concern...

:w00t: :blushing:

Kidding! Seriously, kidding!!

I can relate to your discovery. I own a Braun 7,5,3 series as well as a pocket go model from my electric shaving days (about 13 years) and if I miss a spot with my DE or Straight razors and it bothers me I will grab one of my electrics and hit that spot real quick, It also lets you know just how close you actually got with your DE or straight as you can hear any cutting action with the electric. So although many on this forum will think it is weird, I completely understand.

I am happy to see that I am not the only one touching up with electric razor.
I am hoping that as my skill develops, the shave will become closer and closer to not require much touch up in the morning.
I actually don't mind touching up with electric razor because it doesn't irritate my skin at all because touch up only takes about a minute or two, but it's just the thought that my DE shaving wasn't good enough to require another shaving just kills me.

I was just not satisfied with some of the shaves that I have gotten recently. The blade I used was personna red and it didn't feel quite as sharp and shave not quite as close as feather. Hopefully if I find my go-to blade, shave will be much better. As of now, feather has been giving me the closest and smooth shaves.

Keeping my fingers crossed for polsilvers and GSBs to arrive!

My bad, I forgot I was on a gentlemanly forum! Just got a little carried away :)
I've heard of people dropping their cell phone in the uh, water while on the throne. Be careful, multi-tasking can make you stupid.
Can't ever remember the electric razor I used getting as close or clean as a wet shave.

Top Bottom