What's new

Western Straight Razors with Short Blade Length

Hey all! I have a lot of experience with the standard longer Western straight razors, and have recently grown to love the Kataha (Kamisori blade that folds into western scales) razor because the blade are shorter. It takes a bit longer to clear out my cheeks, but I find the tradeoff is preferrable for the increased control the shorter blade provides.

I would love to expand the options though away from the Japanese razors, but I am not familiar with any Western razors that had shorter blade lengths. Were there any? Anyone have directions I can look in? For this unfamiliar, Kataha have blade lengths ~53mm.

Koraat or similar custom can easily be done with shortened blade length. Portland Razor co. used to do a 2inch shorty, you might be able to find one second hand. I know I’ve seen one modern company that does one. I’ll get back to you if it comes to me.

what sort of grind are you looking for? If you like near wedge, some of the western grind japanese straights are to be found in kamisori length. Bit pricey but can be found on the auction site NOS.

Koraat or similar custom can easily be done with shortened blade length. Portland Razor co. used to do a 2inch shorty, you might be able to find one second hand. I know I’ve seen one modern company that does one. I’ll get back to you if it comes to me.
Thanks, yeah I know I could always go the custom route but was hoping to pick up something 2nd hand. If a cool vintage option popped up that woud be best!

Thanks, yeah I know I could always go the custom route but was hoping to pick up something 2nd hand. If a cool vintage option popped up that woud be best!
i edited my post to add another option. Might be up your street, given you already like Japanese razors.

what sort of grind are you looking for? If you like near wedge, some of the western grind japanese straights are to be found in kamisori length. Bit pricey but can be found on the auction site NOS.
If you mean the western grind kamasori that are asymmetrical grind that is what I meant by kataha. If you mean just like the western symmetrical grind, yeah I figured those were options but would prefer to not have only Japanese Razors.

That is exactly what I meant. Id never heard of a kataha and assumed it was kamisori grind. Sent you a link. If you ask members here, many of the hobby restorers will have shortened a cracked blade.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A Gold Dollar W59 style SR is a good one to have a try at making your own shortie. New OEMs are had to find but their are plenty of "clones" available. I had one that developed a crack near the heel. I ground that down to an edge length of about 50mm.

Grinding a SR down to a shorter edge length is not difficult. You just have to be aware of the heat generated in the steel and grind in such a way so as to prevent heat (>200°C) developing, particularly at and near the edge. I do this by grinding underwater.

Some western style Japanese straights run shorter-- or were modified by grinding the heel forward. Also Japanese framebacks are often (not always) shorter, in the neighborhood of 66mm. Smaller Heljestrands (4/8-9/16 widths) are usually pretty close to that length as well.

Barbarossa is a good non-custom, non-vintage option, as stated above. AC format barber razors are another option.

Look out for The Mab razor or a Little Gem or something. I just remembered this, got for peanuts due to rust.

Attachments

• DSC_0064.JPG
    DSC_0064.JPG
    922.7 KB · Views: 19
Some western style Japanese straights run shorter-- or were modified by grinding the heel forward. Also Japanese framebacks are often (not always) shorter, in the neighborhood of 66mm. Smaller Heljestrands (4/8-9/16 widths) are usually pretty close to that length as well.

Barbarossa is a good non-custom, non-vintage option, as stated above. AC format barber razors are another option.
Thanks! I am def looking for something "not-Japanese" because I have so many of the kataha ones already :)

The DePew "Perfect Razor" (the one with the long monkey tail) is another vintage option, not much over 2 inches if I remember right. They don't come around all that often though.

The DePew "Perfect Razor" (the one with the long monkey tail) is another vintage option, not much over 2 inches if I remember right. They don't come around all that often though.
Yeah, I can see those with that unique design also being a bit more expensive (like the long-tailed Hoshitombo ones). Thanks!

A Gold Dollar W59 style SR is a good one to have a try at making your own shortie. New OEMs are had to find but their are plenty of "clones" available. I had one that developed a crack near the heel. I ground that down to an edge length of about 50mm.

Grinding a SR down to a shorter edge length is not difficult. You just have to be aware of the heat generated in the steel and grind in such a way so as to prevent heat (>200°C) developing, particularly at and near the edge. I do this by grinding underwater.

Yeah I had thought about the grinding down idea. I have plenty of options for functionality though more looking for some historic fun that also fits the bill.

Thiers Issard La Legende 1884 is a shorter blade. The edge length on mine is 62mm. Like Japanese steel it is very hard C135. It holds an edge for a long time and they look nice I think…

Top Bottom