What's new

Western boot recommendation?

Hello all, first post.

Starting off, not a cowboy. I’m looking for recommendations for a western boot. I wear suits daily, usually with Alden bluchers or Allen Edmonds first ave. I live in New Mexico, and while discussing my need to recraft my AEs someone recommended I look for some western boots. They are common here, but I’m a novice with this style.

I’ve been looking at Lucchese, but want to consider other options. Hoping to find Alden quality and durability with a subtle style. Maybe even a little out of my comfort zone.

About me: heavy guy, size 13 EE boot, conservative dresser usually. Dislike pointy toes. Looking for something good for daily wear (10+ hours/day)

I wear Western work boots. The tops are leather western looking, but the bottoms are rubber instead of leather. They have a mildly lugged bottom for traction.....Anyway, like you I have a long foot. I prefer a boot with a saddle vamp. It breaks up the way the boot looks in length and blends well with the cuff of your pant.

My current boots are Ariat. They are very comfortable on long days. I am not really endorsing the brand. Ariat simply had a boot with the look I liked. They are squared toed with a saddle vamp. The name of them is Sierra.

I am sure the exact boot I wear is not what you are looking for. However, I thought you may like the look of a saddle vamp boot and not know what it was called.

Last edited:
I’ve been a fan of Justin boots for years, western style, pull on work boots, and Roper style for good. I find the lower heel is easier on my bad back.
I just picked these earlier this year- JUSTIN BOOTS #3170 GIDEON
Very comfortable, they come with a nice shine from the factory, and can easily be touched up. I’d have no problems in wearing them with a suit or business casual setting.

Another vote for Ariat. They definitely beat Justin for comfort. I've been wearing Ariats for so long at this point that I haven't even tried a lot of the newer brands that have popped up.

I own and wear a lot of boots. My collection (quite extensive -- not bragging, but to put things into perspective) consists of many different brands (Lucchese, Ariat, Tecovas, Tony Lama, Double H, Dan Post, Justin, Frye, and Red Wing), various toe styles (round, square, wide square, snip, and pointed), heels (roper and cowboy), and finally different hide/skin (caiman, ostrich, lizard, and various cowhides). I don't wear any of my boots with a suit, but that's not to say I couldn't. If I did and based on my collection, the only brands I think are dressy enough would be Lucchese, Tecovas, and Tony Lama because of the skin. All three IMO would be comfortable enough to wear all day. Since you've already determined you don't want a pointed toe boot, you might want to decide on the price point and then hide/skin next. Let me know if you want any more info. Would be happy to share more of my perspective. I think you might find that once you wear boots, they will become a staple within your footwear. That's what happened with me because of how comfortable and cool looking they are. Here's the most recent pic of my boot collection. A couple have been added since this pic was taken.
bts4.jpg

I have a few pairs of Lucchese boots, very comfortable etc. They have the walking heel and no stitching on the top/toe of the boot. I go with a rounded toe and they look great with dress slacks or suits.

Every person's feet differ. Boots that are comfortable for me might not work for you. I recommend you go to a boot store and try the boots on. When I buy boots I usually go to Boot Barn and try them on. At times, the most beautiful boots feel horrible for me.

I’m a huge fan of Lucchese ropers. The quality, rounded toe and subtle heel are a winning combo for suits or other dressy attire.

I've been wearing Lucchese boots for over forty years. Stock boots and customs. Everyone's got their faves... Lucchese boots fit me great and not only look fantastic if you take care of them, they last for many years with care.

I have a 'plain Jane' pair of Justin Stampede Roper Western boots that are very comfortable and can easily be worn the whole day.
download.png

Tim

I have wide feet and found the square toe Ariat very comfortable. So I ordered another pair in black. I added insoles to both making the even better.

Ariat makes a wide variety, and are reasonably priced to boot, I have worn cowboy boots every day for the last 25 years, and Ariat is my go to for comfort, looks and price.

Like many others on this thread, I'm a big Ariat fan. Out of all the brands I own, I own more Ariats than any other based on comfort, price, and style. Cannot go wrong with a good pair of Ariats.

I have two pairs of Dan Post Teju lizard skin and they're really nice. I wear the oxblood boots with suits (no tie, just sort of a casual dressy look for weddings and gatherings) and I think they look really good.

Top Bottom