What's new

West Coast Shaving Hyperion

I have been using my new Hyperion razor this week. It is one of the Artisan Series, designed in collaboration with Brian Twilley of Charcoal Goods. They are all of stainless steel, made by the Computer Numerical Control (CNC) process.

I like this razor a lot. It has a last-a-lifetime feel to it, which (IMHO) is helped by the solid three-piece design. The Hyperion is well-balanced and just the right weight for my preference. It is not an especially aggressive razor. If you are, say, a slant-bar or open-comb user or have an especially heavy beard, you will be frustrated by this razor. I myself prefer less aggressive razors, because they allow me to vary my technique depending on the part of my face or the amount of stubble. I find that very aggressive razors rob me of the ability to vary my technique. Although I am a very experienced DE user, this razor would also be good for newbies. It is comfortable and very forgiving, yet still capable of providing an extremely close shave.

Although these razors are a little pricey at $180, they are currently still on introductory sale for $155.
IMG_1131.jpg

Brian Twilley's work is super impressive. You are going to enjoy that razor for the rest of your days and be able to pass it on to the next generation, GREAT razor!

I received the El Capitan for Father's Day and love it. It took a bit of time to find the right angle which is shallower than my BBS-1. I would echo the comments in your review exactly related to comfort and ability to provide a very close shave.

I have been using my new Hyperion razor this week. It is one of the Artisan Series, designed in collaboration with Brian Twilley of Charcoal Goods. They are all of stainless steel, made by the Computer Numerical Control (CNC) process.

I like this razor a lot. It has a last-a-lifetime feel to it, which (IMHO) is helped by the solid three-piece design. The Hyperion is well-balanced and just the right weight for my preference. It is not an especially aggressive razor. If you are, say, a slant-bar or open-comb user or have an especially heavy beard, you will be frustrated by this razor. I myself prefer less aggressive razors, because they allow me to vary my technique depending on the part of my face or the amount of stubble. I find that very aggressive razors rob me of the ability to vary my technique. Although I am a very experienced DE user, this razor would also be good for newbies. It is comfortable and very forgiving, yet still capable of providing an extremely close shave.

Although these razors are a little pricey at $180, they are currently still on introductory sale for $155.
View attachment 792443
Maybe it's just me but I was very excited about getting the Hyperion razor. But, even though it seems like a mild shaver, I continually cut myself on my upper lip and across my chin. It's probably technique but I've been wet shaving with DE razors for the past 50+ years so I think I know what I'm doing. In comparison, my Rockwell 6S (and 6C) is infallible! I get a marvelous shave without even the tiniest irritation let alone a cut! I can't wait to put the Hyperion on Ebay and take whatever I can get for it.

Maybe it's just me but I was very excited about getting the Hyperion razor. But, even though it seems like a mild shaver, I continually cut myself on my upper lip and across my chin. It's probably technique but I've been wet shaving with DE razors for the past 50+ years so I think I know what I'm doing. In comparison, my Rockwell 6S (and 6C) is infallible! I get a marvelous shave without even the tiniest irritation let alone a cut! I can't wait to put the Hyperion on Ebay and take whatever I can get for it.

It always amazes me how subjective our shaving preferences are. As a result of your very positive review, I purchased the Rockwell 6C from West Coast. This morning I tried it for the first time. I used one of the Rockwell blades enclosed in the box, and I decided to start by using the R3 setting (the third least aggressive on a scale of 1 to 6). This was not a good shave, to say the least. My face felt chafed, I had several weepers (very rare for me), and (most important) I was still stubbly after my usual three passes. I would say that the quality of this shave was as bad as a mediocre electric razor.

I will keep at it to give it a fair test. I'll continue using the Rockwell blades at first, and try different settings (beginning in the more aggressive direction -- R5 next time). After that, I'll use one of my go-to blades (right now, Chrome, Pol Silver, and Kai) as see whether that helps. I never reject a razor until I really test it out. But this was an inauspicious start.

It always amazes me how subjective our shaving preferences are. As a result of your very positive review, I purchased the Rockwell 6C from West Coast. This morning I tried it for the first time. I used one of the Rockwell blades enclosed in the box, and I decided to start by using the R3 setting (the third least aggressive on a scale of 1 to 6). This was not a good shave, to say the least. My face felt chafed, I had several weepers (very rare for me), and (most important) I was still stubbly after my usual three passes. I would say that the quality of this shave was as bad as a mediocre electric razor.

I will keep at it to give it a fair test. I'll continue using the Rockwell blades at first, and try different settings (beginning in the more aggressive direction -- R5 next time). After that, I'll use one of my go-to blades (right now, Chrome, Pol Silver, and Kai) as see whether that helps. I never reject a razor until I really test it out. But this was an inauspicious start.
Similar experience with the Rockwell, with their blade not at all impressed with the razor. With a WS, PolSilver or SharpEdge and R4 I get a very acceptable shave...effective, smooth but tame enough I don't have to be overly concerned with technique. Funny though, I've used the Rockwell blade a few times in a red tip and been happy with the results.

Similar experience with the Rockwell, with their blade not at all impressed with the razor. With a WS, PolSilver or SharpEdge and R4 I get a very acceptable shave...effective, smooth but tame enough I don't have to be overly concerned with technique. Funny though, I've used the Rockwell blade a few times in a red tip and been happy with the results.

I shaved with the Rockwell again today: R5 using the Rockwell blade again. Less chafing, no weepers, but, still, a poor shave overall. I am ready to try it at R4 using a Crystal blade tomorrow. I am surprised to hear that you like these blades in another razor. Maybe I'll try one in another razor in the future.

Put a GSB or Astra in the Rockwell and I'm sure you'll get a better shave but with that said I'm also not a fan of the Rockwell myself although a whole lot of members on here are. Not because I can't get a good shave out of it I just find it somewhat boring and lacking character if that makes any sense and I prefer a razor that challenges me and it also doesn't do that at all. Your Hyperion sounds like it's the razor you can pick up each day and get a great shaving experience out of so a keeper in my mind. Brian is a friend of mine and his work is amazing and even though the razor wasn't made in house by him if it was made to his spec's I'm sure it's a great shaver and it sure is a looker! Congrats and enjoy!

Put a GSB or Astra in the Rockwell and I'm sure you'll get a better shave but with that said I'm also not a fan of the Rockwell myself although a whole lot of members on here are. Not because I can't get a good shave out of it I just find it somewhat boring and lacking character if that makes any sense and I prefer a razor that challenges me and it also doesn't do that at all. Your Hyperion sounds like it's the razor you can pick up each day and get a great shaving experience out of so a keeper in my mind. Brian is a friend of mine and his work is amazing and even though the razor wasn't made in house by him if it was made to his spec's I'm sure it's a great shaver and it sure is a looker! Congrats and enjoy!

Right now, I am alternating among Mühle R89, Hyperion, single-edged Mongoose, and (occasionally) the Artist's Club mock straight. I still haven't found the perfect razor for me, but I'm trying.

Right now, I am alternating among Mühle R89, Hyperion, single-edged Mongoose, and (occasionally) the Artist's Club mock straight. I still haven't found the perfect razor for me, but I'm trying.
I get it! In search of the perfect razor. That could take a lot of time, money and experimenting with many razors and different formats as well.

As of today my 2 " as close to perfect shaving razors" in my den are at 2 opposite sides of the spectrum as far as cost of the razor, Blade format and overall feel of the razor in hand. They are the Paradigm 17 -4 using a Posilver and the Vintage Schick Type M Adjustable injector using the Japanese 11 Twin blade. For me they provide the most balanced combo of both efficiency and smoothness.
Good luck on your pursuit of the perfect razor for you! :thumbsup:

The Hyperion is equivalent to the level one Charcoal Goods baseplate. I would recommend trying a level2 plate from Charcoal goods, it will fit with the Hyperion

The Hyperion is equivalent to the level one Charcoal Goods baseplate. I would recommend trying a level2 plate from Charcoal goods, it will fit with the Hyperion

I guess you're never too old OR experienced to learn!
Based on a lot of the comments above, I went back to using the Hyperion again but with a different mind-set. I tried a different blade (Astra) and a different avle (Steeper) and suddenly I'm getting BBS shaves (without any cuts) and only two passes plus a touch up. My apologies to WCS.

Now listed for $135 on West Coast shaving if anyone has been holding off. They have two handle styles left, the Hyperion and one other.

Top Bottom