What's new

West African Chicken and Peanut Stew

Besides shaving, collecting shaving tools, fountain pens, and several other passions, I am very involved with West African hand drumming (Djembe, Dundun, etc.). As part of this hobby, my wife and I have been periodically hosting a drum teacher from West Africa who shares his talents and music with our local drum community. Wanting to make him feel at home, I found and cooked up this recipe. He raved about it and said it was just as good as what he gets in his native country (Guinea). It's fairly mild as originally written, but I pumped up the spice levels quite a bit (a full teaspoon of cayenne pepper instead of just 1/4) and also served it with some homemade African-style hot sauce that I obtained from the wife of another African teacher. A little bit of that sauce goes a long way! The West Africans seem to have a very high tolerance for heat...they ladle that sauce on, but just a half teaspoon is plenty for me. :mad5:

West African Chicken and Peanut Stew
When you make this, start at least 2 hours before you plan to eat. There is not a lot of active time, but the stew needs time to simmer.
Serves: 8-10

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
  • 2-3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced (a microplane grater makes quick work of this)
  • 5 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
  • 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed and diced (and peeled if you like)
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 1 cup chunky peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne (I use up to a full teaspoon of cayenne. YMMV!)
  • 1 28 ounce jar (or can) chopped tomatoes with juice
  • 14 ounce can coconut milk (light or full fat)
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup roasted peanuts
  • 1 large handful of chopped cilantro

Instructions

1. Heat coconut or olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add chicken thighs in a single layer and brown on both sides. You’ll want to do this in a couple of batches so they brown instead of steam. Remove chicken and set aside.
2. Add onions to pot; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes scraping up any browned bits of chicken. Add ginger and garlic; cook and stir about 30 seconds, just until fragrant. Add the next 7 ingredients – sweet potatoes through tomatoes. Stir until well combined and peanut butter is distributed. Return chicken thighs to pot, stir, and bring to a simmer.
3. Cover the pot and simmer gently for one hour. Remove the chicken thighs and set them aside for a few moments until they’re cool enough to handle. Use two forks to shred the meat and return to stew. Add coconut milk and stir to combine. Cover and simmer 15 minutes more.
4. Add salt, freshly ground black pepper and additional cayenne (if you like some kick) to taste.
5. Serve over cooked white rice. Garnish with peanuts and cilantro. Serve with hot sauce on the side. I have a jar of homemade African-style sauce that’s quite potent.

Last edited:
$iu.gif

Looks fantastic! Also, hand drumming is an amazing experience. My first love is the guitar, but I have also been playing the darbuka for a few years/

Looks fantastic! Also, hand drumming is an amazing experience. My first love is the guitar, but I have also been playing the darbuka for a few years/
It's amazing how much stress can be relieved by beating the crap out of a drum skin! :lol:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
With the price of beef, I have been looking for more chicken recipes. I will have to try this.

Top Bottom