What's new

We're movin' on up!

Howdy guys,

Well, y'all have gone and done it. Not content with scraping hair and gel sludge off your face with a tri-bladed monstrosity, brought to you by the fine folks at Proctor & Gamble[sup]TM[/sup], you've gone and made B&B tremendously popular.

While this is certainly great news, unfortunately, it has lead to us outgrowing yet ANOTHER server. :eek:

The good news is, this time we're doing it right, and barring any unforeseen circumstances, we shouldn't have to go through another server move in at least several years. We'll be moving to a dedicated server. That means that unlike 90% of the webpages out there, the server we're moving to will have no other customers, it'll just be us, and a WHOLE bunch of room to grow into.

What does this mean for you? In the next couple days, the database and file system will be prepped for transfer. During this time, you might notice certain features might disappear. Once everything's ready to go, the DNS info will be transfered. At this time, it's all up to the internet gods as to how soon we're back online. DNS propogation can sometimes happen in hours, sometimes it takes two days. This is also largely ISP specific, so while we might already be up and running on the new server, your ISP might still be pointing you to the old server. Fear not, as eventually, everyone will get pointed in the right direction. You'll know if you're looking at the right server because the old copy of the forum still residing on the old server will be locked and inaccessible. If the database transfers smoothly, and there aren't any problems, we should be running full bore again by Wednesday.

Despite the temporary inconvenience, this really is a good thing. It gives us an even greater ability to provide you with more features that you'll only find at B&B. With this server migration in mind, the mods have a handful of very exciting announcements we'll be making shortly. I can't spill the beans yet, you guys will just have to join us at our new digs to find out about 'em. :wink:

-The Mods

(Fish don't fry in the kitchen, Beans don't burn on the grill)

Too obscure?

This is excellent news.

What you could do in the meanwhile is to provide the IP address of the new server to which this domain will resolve to so that the die hards can temporarily visit the site by browsing to the IP (if this is taken into account while defining the vhosts).

Does the new server have redundant hardware (RAID 1 disks etc)? Or is that still a little bit too far fetched? :)

I think the move to a dedicated fully managed server is the best way forward to guarantee a stable future for this wonderful community!

Nick said:
Despite the temporary inconvenience, this really is a good thing. It gives us an even greater ability to provide you with more features that you'll only find at B&B. With this server migration in mind, the mods have a handful of very exciting announcements we'll be making shortly. I can't spill the beans yet, you guys will just have to join us at our new digs to find out about 'em. :wink:
Too obscure?

Aww man I hate having to wait for surprise's! Now I'll have to go out and buy me something new just to appease myself.
proxy.php

Good news!

Congrats to B&B! Can't wait to see the new features.

Any idea when the site is going down or is it just a matter of how long it takes to prepare everything for the move?

Ashe said:
This is excellent news.

What you could do in the meanwhile is to provide the IP address of the new server to which this domain will resolve to so that the die hards can temporarily visit the site by browsing to the IP (if this is taken into account while defining the vhosts).

Does the new server have redundant hardware (RAID 1 disks etc)? Or is that still a little bit too far fetched? :)

I think the move to a dedicated fully managed server is the best way forward to guarantee a stable future for this wonderful community!

Benjamin,

vBulletin is very...vigilant about protecting their code. vB doesn't allow you to run a copy of vB off an address that isn't tied to the registration of that particular vB. As such, any calls to the forum through an IP address, and not specifically "badgerandblade.com" will error out.

As for backups, while not RAIDed, the server does have a backup hard drive that takes nightly backups. It also comes with remote storage in the case of anything catastrophic.

-Nick

Jim Thompson said:
Good news!

Congrats to B&B! Can't wait to see the new features.

Any idea when the site is going down or is it just a matter of how long it takes to prepare everything for the move?

Jim,

If I had to guess, it'll probably be taken down tomorrow night, tonight at the earliest.

-Nick

With The Grain said:
does this mean the end of my nemesis:

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in -- seconds."

James,

A search is one of the most resource-intensive activities performed on a forum. Because of that, vB limits them by default to 30 second intervals as a decent sized group of people all performing multiple searches in rapid succession can quickly affect the performance of the server.

Once we're situated, I'll take a look at what kind of resources we're using and see if I can't bump that down a little.

-Nick

jduffy said:
How do you guys pay for all this? I'm just curious. Do you accept donations?

Jim,

At present, there are a few people that cover all the operating expenses.

If you'll permit me, I'll leave it at that for the time being, and come back to it after the server migration.

-Nick

Nick,

Anything would help...15 seconds would be ideal, but even 25 would help...thanks!

Nick said:
James,

A search is one of the most resource-intensive activities performed on a forum. Because of that, vB limits them by default to 30 second intervals as a decent sized group of people all performing multiple searches in rapid succession can quickly affect the performance of the server.

Once we're situated, I'll take a look at what kind of resources we're using and see if I can't bump that down a little.

-Nick

Wonderful news! I can't say I've ever noticed the site loading slowly, but I'm still pretty new. Less contention with other sites, with a nice helping of room to grow, is always a good thing.

The best thing about moving to a fully managed dedicated server is that you're not dependent of the machine power being spread over multiple sites. While I do think that from a financial point of view starting a community on a shared server is the smartest way, moving towards a dedicated environment is the best way to go. By having your own dedicated server you completely decide what you do from a financial standpoint while on a shared environment, you're also dependent on others.

Searches are indeed very resource intensive on databases so I guess that if this community keeps growing exponentially, in the future a dedicated database server etc will be needed.

But anyway, normally a good powered webserver with large amount of RAM and fast CPU's will be able to manage this community just fine including some tweaking to make searches go faster etc.

As already said: this move is one of the best reasons for a downtime!

tjkirch said:
Wonderful news! I can't say I've ever noticed the site loading slowly, but I'm still pretty new. Less contention with other sites, with a nice helping of room to grow, is always a good thing.

Tom,

The server we're on at the moment has been pretty darned reliable, unfortunately, our activity is a little more than they can keep up with, so it's on to bigger and better!

-Nick

Top Bottom