What's new

Went a little nuts

I've been a synthetics guy for several years. I like the ease of use. Bought my first boar brush last year, a Semogue 830. Didn't do any particular break-in just soaked it for 20 minutes and started using it. Wow. Compared to a synthetic this thing is really stiff. Stuck with it for about 3 weeks and noticed it was getting softer. Put it away to go back to my other brushes. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. Took out the 830 to give it another go and it wowed me again but this time it was for brush perfection. Don't know if something changed in the intervening months or if I was just on the verge of perfection before putting it away.

Now I'm a boar convert with a credit card. So far I have an SOC in cherry wood and 3 Zeniths. An SOC in butterscotch and a jade Omega from Connaught are enroute. So yeah, went a little nuts. Even worse, I like the looks of these things so much I'm thinking I need backups just to keep pristine versions around to admire. They are little gems.

IMG_0912a.jpg

If you think the 830 took a while to break in just wait for that SOC boar.

You've done the right thing by going premium out the gate. That's where you would have ended up anyway. I started from the bottom of the quality spectrum and bought every brush on the way up just to end up buying the Jade and SOC anyway. Fortunately they're reasonably inexpensive.

I have a few badger brushes that I love because they are so soft (when dry), but once they're wet and loaded with soap, their lack of backbone/scrub turn that love to frustration and disdain; so I gravitated to boar knots. I love broken in boar knots as they're soft, and make great lather. Oh, don't get me wrong, I love new boar knots too; just not as much, but in the end, the difference between the two is so small that you're really just splitting hairs at that point.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Nice! Welcome to the Boarg! :a1: You're definitely off on the right track. Just to enable you further, pick up an Omega Proraso Professional. The plastic chrome handle isn't much to write home about, just part of the Italian barbershop charm. But that knot is incredible! Oh, and since you have a SOC, I would also recommend Semogue's big barber brush, the 2000. Awesome knot on that guy too.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I like your style. Two boars came in today, an Omega and a Semogue. Nothing special (yet) but both are in the size range I prefer. Going to give them an equal amount of break in and usage over the coming months. A little test to see how they compare.
B5EE4CFD-F9E4-4F70-8248-F4F60D0752DB.jpeg

I've been a synthetics guy for several years. I like the ease of use. Bought my first boar brush last year, a Semogue 830. Didn't do any particular break-in just soaked it for 20 minutes and started using it. Wow. Compared to a synthetic this thing is really stiff. Stuck with it for about 3 weeks and noticed it was getting softer. Put it away to go back to my other brushes. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. Took out the 830 to give it another go and it wowed me again but this time it was for brush perfection. Don't know if something changed in the intervening months or if I was just on the verge of perfection before putting it away.

Now I'm a boar convert with a credit card. So far I have an SOC in cherry wood and 3 Zeniths. An SOC in butterscotch and a jade Omega from Connaught are enroute. So yeah, went a little nuts. Even worse, I like the looks of these things so much I'm thinking I need backups just to keep pristine versions around to admire. They are little gems.

View attachment 1352659
Just over a month until Decemboar! Great way to wear in your boars is to use them exclusively for a month!

Nice! Welcome to the Boarg! :a1: You're definitely off on the right track. Just to enable you further, pick up an Omega Proraso Professional. The plastic chrome handle isn't much to write home about, just part of the Italian barbershop charm. But that knot is incredible! Oh, and since you have a SOC, I would also recommend Semogue's big barber brush, the 2000. Awesome knot on that guy too.
Yeah I'm thinking about a ProPro, too. Or a Goodfellas smile which is the same knot just with a different handle...or maybe it's a shorter loft. Definitely getting one or the other, though.

Yeah I'm thinking about a ProPro, too. Or a Goodfellas smile which is the same knot just with a different handle...or maybe it's a shorter loft. Definitely getting one or the other, though.

I could be wrong but I think the Omega 10048 is the same as the Proraso pro with a smaller price tag. Just doesn't have the Proraso name on it

One or the other. Ha! I've told myself that before too. Enjoy your two new brushes. Or three 😉

Congratulations! Now you need to try badger. I have the Connaught Jade Omega and do like it. For me it took about 100 uses to really break in where my Shavemac 2 band knots are pretty good by a dozen.

As good as the Connaught Jade is, it is my least favorite in an 8 brush rotation. But good enough to stay in the rotation.

If you want really good advice and a custom brush, talk to Rudy Vey. Almost everyone that has one of his brushes ends up with at least another.

We are enablers here!

tankerjohn

I could be wrong but I think the Omega 10048 is the same as the Proraso pro with a smaller price tag. Just doesn't have the Proraso name on it

One or the other. Ha! I've told myself that before too. Enjoy your two new brushes. Or three 😉
I have both, and they are not the same. The 48 has a good deal longer loft. Maybe I'll take a picture when I get home. Maybe @SterFry is right and the knot is the same, but set lower in the handle. Either way, the ProPro (hey, I like that - I'm totally stealing that term) has more backbone and is a more manageable face latherer. The 48, on the other hand, will splay over an entire half of your face. I have to use a bit more technique with it; I like to hold it by the base of the knot, like the Italian barbers do, and fan it out a bit so I have a wide side and a narrow side. Don't get me wrong, its an awesome brush and a unique experience in so far as you can say a shaving brush provides a unique experience. But for day-to-day "get er dun" shaving, I prefer the ProPro and I can't say I miss the 5 or 10 bucks extra it cost.

Hey @SterFry, there's a ProPro knot with on a "better" handle? 🤯 I'm going to have to check that out!

I have both, and they are not the same. The 48 has a good deal longer loft. Maybe I'll take a picture when I get home. Maybe @SterFry is right and the knot is the same, but set lower in the handle. Either way, the ProPro (hey, I like that - I'm totally stealing that term) has more backbone and is a more manageable face latherer. The 48, on the other hand, will splay over an entire half of your face. I have to use a bit more technique with it; I like to hold it by the base of the knot, like the Italian barbers do, and fan it out a bit so I have a wide side and a narrow side. Don't get me wrong, its an awesome brush and a unique experience in so far as you can say a shaving brush provides a unique experience. But for day-to-day "get er dun" shaving, I prefer the ProPro and I can't say I miss the 5 or 10 bucks extra it cost.

Hey @SterFry, there's a ProPro knot with on a "better" handle? 🤯 I'm going to have to check that out!
It's the same shape handle, just dark with a matte bottom. It's called the "Goodfellas Smiles Wild Hog" brush. What ProPro is to the 48, the Wild Hog is to the 49(same knot with lower loft - 57mm)... I think.

Thanks a lot @tankerjohn , now I have another brush to buy...........

tankerjohn

875406FA-484E-4F0C-8D4A-0151781235E8.jpeg

Okay, here's the ProPro (57mm loft) on the left compared to the Pro 48 (65mm loft) on the right. On my face, that 8mm difference is huge. As I said, I love both. But there's something about the ProPro with the short(ish) loft and FAT base that gives it backbone for days and generates monster gobs of lather. Face latherers' dream, that one.

Two more things on the ProPro. Its already been mentioned that it is a bit more expensive than the comparable Omega Pros, probably because Proraso put their name on it or whatever. But for a while there, it was the only Omega Pro with that short of a loft. The Pro 49 is 60mm. Maybe that's close enough for most people. YMMV, I guess. Glad to see there are other options now and a by a quick scan of the googles, it does appear the price of the ProPro has come down a bit more in line with the other Omegas. The other thing I wanted to note about my brush in particular is that was, in fact, an impulse buy for me. I saw it on the shelf of a local Italian grocery store and thought, "huh, look at that? I've heard good things about that brush." It cost a good deal more than even the inflated prices online, but I like supporting local B&Ms, especially ones that stock good shaving products. So here it is. And its really been wonderful!

Okay, one last thing and then I'll wrap up this novel. I love Semogue brushes, but they just flat wear out. My 630, 1800, and 2000 all went great for three or four years, but then declined and got so floppy they could barely make lather. Heartbreaking, really, because those knots were awesome in their prime and their handles are functional works of art. Just great brushes. I just picked up a SOC and I guess I'll see how it goes. These Omegas, on the other hand, are ROCKS. I've had that Pro 48 for over seven years now, some of that time in regular rotation and some not as much. The ProPro is about five years old and has been my regular go-to three or four times a week the entire time. Neither brush is showing any signs at all of crapping out. Needless to say, the handles are less than inspiring, but darn if they aren't comfortable to hold and just plain work. "Professional" brushes, indeed. So there's my thoughts on that.

Top Bottom