What's new

Welp, switched back to Carts

Good to know. One of the things that really kept me away from disposables in the past is how much waste their is with them.

I have found that even cheap wilkinson's disposable with one blade has removable head even though it's fixed head. Good thing actually. This is a big part for me that keeps me away from disposables.

I'll keep an eye on it also. I want to see how you like it. The Trac II is the only cartridge I like because I don't care for razors that pivot. I feel I have more control if I control the angle.

Cool!

Yeah, I had got 2 of my Dad's '81 dated Atra handles, (and with Gillette NOS carts) and my upper lip had 6 weepers on it..as I was so used to Trac/DE LOL

I'll keep an eye on it also. I want to see how you like it. The Trac II is the only cartridge I like because I don't care for razors that pivot. I feel I have more control if I control the angle.
That's what I was trying to decide about a two blade cartridge, do I want one that pivots or not. Also are they basically the same otherwise between the Trac II and the atra types?

That's what I was trying to decide about a two blade cartridge, do I want one that pivots or not. Also are they basically the same otherwise between the Trac II and the atra types?

Yes they are the same other than the fact that the Atra pivots and the Trac II does not.

@shave/brush can you please tell me where did you buy this container for stick? I travel and in spite I do like foamy and some canned foams I would like to shave with some sticks while I'm traveling.

@shave/brush can you please tell me where did you buy this container for stick? I travel and in spite I do like foamy and some canned foams I would like to shave with some sticks while I'm traveling.

I got mine at West Coast Shaving but I believe several places carry it. Do a "Search" on "twist-up shaving soap container" and you should find some.

I used the mach3 on one side of my face and Slim DE on the other, last night. Very similar end result, with a 3 pass shave. It was a little closer on the neck and jaw area, with the mach3, although not a quick shave.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I started using a DE because electric and cartridge razors seemed to give me ingrown hairs. However, I'm still getting ingrowns with DE's as well. I experimented last night using my old Gillette Fusion Proglide but instead of using canned goo, I used shaving soap with a brush. I must say the shave was BBS and it took me half the time with no irritation. I will say that I definitely won't be giving up the shaving soaps, creams and brushes.:cursing:

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I started using a DE because electric and cartridge razors seemed to give me ingrown hairs. However, I'm still getting ingrowns with DE's as well. I experimented last night using my old Gillette Fusion Proglide but instead of using canned goo, I used shaving soap with a brush. I must say the shave was BBS and it took me half the time with no irritation. I will say that I definitely won't be giving up the shaving soaps, creams and brushes.:cursing:

If you're gonna switch, at least use the twin blade carts. They do the same thing but with less blades, thus less irritation on the face. Stay away from those damned Fusions. Use a Mach 3 if you must. I use Trac II Personna brand carts and they are pretty descent for me. I end up replacing them after about 4 to 5 uses but the replacement cost is fairly cheap at about 27 cents where I live. Also, stay away from that canned foam. I use the canned gel, canned foam has no value at all beyond being quick. I plan on getting a proper shave set once my can of gel runs out.

Carts are razors after all, no shame in using them. My partner used them, but enjoys brush and soap which is enjoyable whatever sort of razor you use.

I use Personna TracII carts on a Heavy Parker Atra pivot handle to shave my head bald. If I was busy and didn't shave my head for a week (I usually shave my head every 2-3 days) I will use my Gillette Guard (single blade) for the first pass on my head and follow it with the TracII for the next 2 passes. I do this because I found that the TracII will clog up if my head hair is too long. The Gillette Guard is perfect for cutting it down for the TracII. I get about 4-5 head shaves per .40cent TracII cart. I shave my face at the same time with any one of my 10 vintage Gillette DE razors or my Feather AS/D2 or Rockwell 6S. I've tried all the newest shavers from Gillette and Shick having purchased the handle with a few carts included and just used them up for fun and didn't buy more, but left on new cart on each handle as an emergency or travel razor. The Flex ball was amazing on my face but the Shick Hydro was better on my head. If they weren't so expensive I'd use them instead of a DE for all my shaving. I also use a quality soap puck(MWF or Tabac) and a brush. Prep is very important no matter the Razor.

So after 6 years of shaving with various DE razors (my favorite being the Fatboy) i decided to go back to carts. My reasoning is quite similar to the OP and others on here.

Prior to DE shaving i was a Sensor Excel, Mach 3 turbo and then Fusion (i know...i know....) . The price of the carts was really starting to bother me so i looked into DE shaving. Well i went down the rabbit hole with all the vintage SuperSpeeds , Slim, Fatboy and modern Merkur etc. Along with the soaps,creams, oil, aftershaves etc. I loved it but after a while i realized what i really enjoyed was all the soap,cream,aftershave stuff not really the shave with the DE. I would quite regularly get a nick or two especially on my neck. Also I have to wake up really early for work and the time it took to get a really good shave was just wearing me down. It was only on Saturday mornings that i could really really enjoy my shave because i could take my time and slow down.

So while i was rummaging around my shaving closet i found my old Mach3 turbo handle and i went out and bought some of the new Gillette3 blades (supposedly exact same as the old Mach 3) especially now that they are cheaper. I was able to buy a pack of 8 cartridges for $6.29 last week on eBay. (79 cents a blade and they easily last for 10 shaves). I got a really good comfortable shave in easily half the time. I still use the same prep as before with good quality shave cream and shave oil etc. But i still think 3 blades is too many.

That got me into researching the twin blade systems (the Trac II and Atra). This seemed like the "golden era" of shaving design. The efficiency of a cart but with less chance of irritation and before Gillette decided to plain flat out lie with their marketing about 3,4,5,10000 blades being better.

So i ordered a 7 O'clock PII handle and some Trac II Plus blades (approx $1 per cartridge). Also bought a vintage Atra handle and some Atra Plus blades (also approx $1 per cartridge) . I will be testing them out over the next 2 weeks and decide which one i will be going with.

I can say with confidence that it will be one of the above, trac ii or atra.

So after 6 years of shaving with various DE razors (my favorite being the Fatboy) i decided to go back to carts. My reasoning is quite similar to the OP and others on here.

Prior to DE shaving i was a Sensor Excel, Mach 3 turbo and then Fusion (i know...i know....) . The price of the carts was really starting to bother me so i looked into DE shaving. Well i went down the rabbit hole with all the vintage SuperSpeeds , Slim, Fatboy and modern Merkur etc. Along with the soaps,creams, oil, aftershaves etc. I loved it but after a while i realized what i really enjoyed was all the soap,cream,aftershave stuff not really the shave with the DE. I would quite regularly get a nick or two especially on my neck. Also I have to wake up really early for work and the time it took to get a really good shave was just wearing me down. It was only on Saturday mornings that i could really really enjoy my shave because i could take my time and slow down.

So while i was rummaging around my shaving closet i found my old Mach3 turbo handle and i went out and bought some of the new Gillette3 blades (supposedly exact same as the old Mach 3) especially now that they are cheaper. I was able to buy a pack of 8 cartridges for $6.29 last week on eBay. (79 cents a blade and they easily last for 10 shaves). I got a really good comfortable shave in easily half the time. I still use the same prep as before with good quality shave cream and shave oil etc. But i still think 3 blades is too many.

That got me into researching the twin blade systems (the Trac II and Atra). This seemed like the "golden era" of shaving design. The efficiency of a cart but with less chance of irritation and before Gillette decided to plain flat out lie with their marketing about 3,4,5,10000 blades being better.

So i ordered a 7 O'clock PII handle and some Trac II Plus blades (approx $1 per cartridge). Also bought a vintage Atra handle and some Atra Plus blades (also approx $1 per cartridge) . I will be testing them out over the next 2 weeks and decide which one i will be going with.

Yeah, I'm up for reading ghost reviews and see how it goes. I've had the same thought myself about the soaps and products make a lot of difference. So I'm curious to know what you do with the passes, if it's the customary three pass.

FWIW for me the Sensor and Sensor Excel is comparable to the Atra, maybe a bit smoother, you might consider trying that as you search for a cart system that works best for you

Yeah, I'm up for reading ghost reviews and see how it goes. I've had the same thought myself about the soaps and products make a lot of difference. So I'm curious to know what you do with the passes, if it's the customary three pass.

With Mach 3 last week and this week ive been doing the same prep i did with my DE and also a 3 pass shave but i am careful to use less strokes since i have 3 blades moving across my face instead of just one. Also im using a lighter touch.
I definitely feel that my 6 years of DE shaving helped me to improve my technique and understand the way my hair grows on my face (different directions all over the place on my neck and jawline).

FWIW for me the Sensor and Sensor Excel is comparable to the Atra, maybe a bit smoother, you might consider trying that as you search for a cart system that works best for you
I actually use sensor plus disposables when i travel and they do a good job.

You really can't go wrong with TracII (1971) and Atra (1977). I use the Atra Elite with the Teak Handle to shave my head. I have tried several as you can see from my collection of TracII handles. The Teak Handle TracII Elite is my favourite. You can purchase Personna Blades from Amazon for $30US for 100. I still use and prefer DE for shaving my face. I am retired so unlike yourself I have a bit more time in the mornings. I'm glad you found your grove. Also, if you want to purchase a modern "Mach3like" handle for the Atra pivot blades the Orange handle on the far right is a MicroTouch handle and is currently available from Amazon for $20US and comes with 12 Carts.
trac2 handles.jpg
Personna Trac2 blades.jpg
1979 Atra Elite Teak.jpg

Top Bottom