What's new

Welp, switched back to Carts

I've actually seen the magnification pictures also of before and after stropping a cartridge on a piece of denim. It went from a rusty pitted to a shiny smoother look, which I would have to contend if a piece of metal is smoother and shiny it might be sharper. Considering the most extreme tip is is probably the only part that does the cutting in actuality, the difference could be noticed or not. It might just be cleaner as far as contaminants go.

Today I shaved with Harry's razor ( 5 blade ) and used Cremo Bourbon shaving cream. I wound up with a close comfortable shave in two passes and six hours later still no stubble. I've been shaving with DE for at least 15 years and have many razors and enough soap to last a long time. But I really enjoyed the shave today and may be headed down the dark path. Not sure about further down the road but I know what my next shave will be.

I tried one side with my Slim and the other side of my face with Schick 5 blade tonight. On the cheeks they were about the same with three pass, but much closer on my below the jawline problem area with the 5 blade. I think I could get away with to pass with the 5 blade hydro. The part the bothered me was the slimy gel on the hydro blade, so I flipped the gel up ( it flips up for nose area closeness) and used it that way. Where can I get this type of blade without that goo, as I'm using great soaps and brush? I'll try my machine 3 in test soon too

but much closer on my below the jawline problem area with the 5 blade.

This is what I find as well. I get great results with the DE razors on my face, but under the jawline and on my neck, I still get much better results with cartridges. Especially going ATG. In my case it's with the mach3 cartridge tho. I didn't really like the 5 blade fusion carts. I've never tried the Schick 5 blades, though. I heard they are pretty good.

I'll try my mach3 next, I have a last new cart loaded up. Do you use the one with the lubricating strip or without?
Same thing as me, i just want a better shave. I'm not sure what's going on with the jawline, probably flat hair close to the skin.
This is what I find as well. I get great results with the DE razors on my face, but under the jawline and on my neck, I still get much better results with cartridges. Especially going ATG. In my case it's with the mach3 cartridge tho. I didn't really like the 5 blade fusion carts. I've never tried the Schick 5 blades, though. I heard they are pretty good.

Xtreme 3 is good. What I like about them is that you can remove the cartridge and put a handle in recycling bin. Over here in Europe we also have Extra 3 sensitive, which is very similar to Xtreme 3. These last very long and I prefer their head over Xtreme 3, more solid and at least to me better handle (but doesn't have rubber grip)

edit: their heads look the some, but xtreme 3 is flexible I believe
Good to know. One of the things that really kept me away from disposables in the past is how much waste their is with them.

Before I returned to DE shaving, I bought a bunch of Personna branded Trac II carts. They were inexpensive and did a great job. I doubt I'll ever go back to them, but they give a fine shave - particularly if you have a sound pre-shave routine and lather a good soap or cream with a brush.

I'll try my mach3 next, I have a last new cart loaded up. Do you use the one with the lubricating strip or without?
Same thing as me, i just want a better shave. I'm not sure what's going on with the jawline, probably flat hair close to the skin.

I can guess with reasonable accuracy that your results, as mine, are due in part to the way the carts and the handles are designed. Its not so much the amount of blades in this case, but the pivot of the razor and the angle of the blades of a cartridge. A lot of us cannot seem to get great results with DE because of the ungodly way we have to hold the things to our necklines. We're walking on a tightrope with these things trying to find the right angle. The cartridges have the blades angled for you to the right cutting angle, and the handles that pivot add to the ease of the shaving. I'm almost willing to bet that the Schick injectors were also angled as well.

I use to get great shaves from my Trac II. The only reason I switched to a DE was because I came across this forum and decided this would be a great new hobby to get into.
I'm lucky that I can pick up most any DE or SE razor and get a great shave. I still use my Trac II from time to time just for kicks. It's a great razor and I could live with it if I had to.

Trac II_Arko.JPG

Mine do have the little lubricating strip at the top, but not sure it does much, and goes away after a few shaves. I use shave soap or cream, so I don't the strip is providing any added benefit in this case.

Its not so much the amount of blades in this case, but the pivot of the razor and the angle of the blades of a cartridge.
I agree. They were engineered to be easier to use, and I do like that I don't need to be so focused when using them. With the DEs, I do like the added heft in my hands and how I can use minimal effort when shaving several day's growth, where as I can almost hear the cart choking and gagging as I try to shave even just 4 days worth of stubble.

I can guess with reasonable accuracy that your results, as mine, are due in part to the way the carts and the handles are designed. Its not so much the amount of blades in this case, but the pivot of the razor and the angle of the blades of a cartridge. A lot of us cannot seem to get great results with DE because of the ungodly way we have to hold the things to our necklines. We're walking on a tightrope with these things trying to find the right angle. The cartridges have the blades angled for you to the right cutting angle, and the handles that pivot add to the ease of the shaving. I'm almost willing to bet that the Schick injectors were also angled as well.
Well that's a possibility, I'm enjoying this thread because it opens up other possibilities to get that good shave. I'll continue to read this.

Its interesting when I was trying that five-blade last shave, when I got to my jawline I could feel and hear it grab hold, dig again and cut. It was like instead of bouncing over there here it would just dig down instead of going over the top.I'm assuming because one boy grab some in the next one grabs a little better and so on like the commercial haha. Went every single angle backwards,forth,across,down,out, in, with the handled high with the handle low with the de until I've had red bumps very many times until I learned that wasn't going to get it either. Kind of getting tired of a 45-minute shave, leaving me sweating after a nice clean shower, because it's stressful. And that's the reality.

I use to get great shaves from my Trac II. The only reason I switched to a DE was because I came across this forum and decided this would be a great new hobby to get into.
I'm lucky that I can pick up most any DE or SE razor and get a great shave. I still use my Trac II from time to time just for kicks. It's a great razor and I could live with it if I had to.

View attachment 917266
I've been thinking about getting a trac II handle or atra , and checking in to see which were the best blades available. I'm just kind of want to see what that's like, and a comparison. It looks like the vector handle can work for some some, but I would prefer an older heavier handle I think. It seems one of those pivots and the other one doesn't, I'm not sure if that's the main difference between those two. I'm not married to DE razors, but they are cool.

I've been thinking about getting a trac II handle or atra , and checking in to see which were the best blades available. I'm just kind of want to see what that's like, and a comparison. It looks like the vector handle can work for some some, but I would prefer an older heavier handle I think. It seems one of those pivots and the other one doesn't, I'm not sure if that's the main difference between those two. I'm not married to DE razors, but they are cool.

Yep, Atra pivots, and Trac II is rigid..seems to be same head, just with different methods to connect to handle..Plus in the description means lube strip.

I just scored a Ralph Lauren POLO heavy Trac II handle myself, I can't wait to give it a spin!
proxy.php

Yep, Atra pivots, and Trac II is rigid..seems to be same head, just with different methods to connect to handle..Plus in the description means lube strip.

I just scored a Ralph Lauren POLO heavy Trac II handle myself, I can't wait to give it a spin!
proxy.php
Alright that's kind of what I thought but thought I might be missing something too. That's a good-looking handle I like that. I would like to know how that works out for you hopefully great

Alright that's kind of what I thought but thought I might be missing something too. That's a good-looking handle I like that. I would like to know how that works out for you hopefully great

Thanks!

I'll give a report on it when I get it in! (I have a thread on it, so will post my findings there!)

Top Bottom