What's new

Welp, switched back to Carts

Yes gents, you read it right. I switched back to carts after 3 years of shaving with a DE. The choice was spurned over the fact that I just want to get my neck BBS or close as possible and cut-free, and I never got that with a DE no matter how hard I lathered, or changed blades, or changed my prep or technique. Meh, make fun of me if you want, I tell it like it is, you'll look like a beatnik loser hobo clown begging for change if you do. :thumbsup:

Anyhoo, for those of you that are interested, I'll leave you with a nugget of thought. There were two routes available to me, one was disposables (the obvious) and the not-so-obvious trick I found. Thing is, I can still get a descent cart shave cheaply with the fact that there is one cart that is off the Gillette legal catalogue. That would be the twin-bladed Atra and Trac II carts. I found that one could get an INSANE deal on Amazon for about 100 carts for $19.29 or about 20 cents a cart as of the date of this writing. I've used these carts before in the disposable versions. They shave beautifully for myself. I found that the Microtouch Toughblade handle fits those cartridges well enough for me, so I now have my new system. Hope this helps!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Excellent news, @warman2012 ! To me, it doesn't matter what you use, as long as you end up with the results you want at a price you can afford. It sounds like your chosen solution hits both those targets.

Ive gone through DEs, SEs, all sorts of electric trimmers/shavers/clippers, multiblade carts, disposables, shavettes, creams, waxes, etc over the last several years. In the last 4 years I've spent my time almost solely with DEs, SEs, and shavettes... Until I recently picked up a Braun series 7 Electric. What I am getting at with this is that my best shaves come the Braun or Gillette guards. I've sold all my DEs and SEs and kept my shavettes for line ups and such. Through it all I learned the principals of beard reduction/multipass shaving, prep, beard mapping, and proper pressure. In 4 years of traditional shaving my DE and SE shaves always went one of two ways: shave was close enough that my wife wouldn't complain about remaining stubble then the next day my neck blew up with ingrowns or I would have a comfortable shave with no irritation or ingrowns except I'd have so much visible stubble that I could have just used clippers instead and my wife wouldn't come near me due to stubble. The Braun or the guard strike the perfect balance for me so I'm sticking with them.

It's funny because countless times I've read someone post here "if you don't get a perfect shave with a DE you are doing it wrong!" Or "if you still have irritation your technique or prep are off!" yet these are the same people who say "YMMV" when reviewing a blade or razor lol. Everyone has different needs and everyone has a different expectation is what is perfect. For you it's carts, for me it's an electric foil or a guard. No harm in any of that.

This is a helpful shaving forum first and a gear snob hangout last yet the longer I participate here the more I find this "modern shaving systems" area to be the former and everything else to be the latter.

By the way, I recently took a Gillette sensor 2 pivot disposable (good news) to my face for a shave. My hand was shaking and I was more nervous then the first time I put a shavette to my neck. Guess what? That disposable with cold water, proraso green, and clubman splash is hands down one of the best shaves I had ever. Not only for the few hours after the shave but, more importantly, the next day.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I agree with Sam. Finding what's right for you is most important. It's better to switch back to what works, instead of trying to force yourself to like DEs. :thumbup1:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
.... This is a helpful shaving forum first and a gear snob hangout last yet the longer I participate here the more I find this "modern shaving systems" area to be the former and everything else to be the latter.

By the way, I recently took a Gillette sensor 2 pivot disposable (good news) to my face for a shave. My hand was shaking and I was more nervous then the first time I put a shavette to my neck. Guess what? That disposable with cold water, proraso green, and clubman splash is hands down one of the best shaves I had ever. Not only for the few hours after the shave but, more importantly, the next day.
I have not conducted any research besides observation, so take my view with a grain of salt. Perhaps most folks on B&B have found the forum after searching for a way to avoid spending (in their view) inordinate amounts of cash on carts. This might explain why many look down upon carts and electrics with disdain; not because they are bad people or that carts/electrics don't work. They might just be harbouring resentment at "wasting" money for years. I would bet that many of the same folks have spend a good chunk of change on brushes, soaps, aftershaves, etc.... , lending credence to "beauty wastage is in the eye of the beholder."

As to your great shave, perhaps the shaky hand gave your disposable a Stahly-esque vibration feature. :001_tongu

I have not conducted any research besides observation, so take my view with a grain of salt. Perhaps most folks on B&B have found the forum after searching for a way to avoid spending (in their view) inordinate amounts of cash on carts. This might explain why many look down upon carts and electrics with disdain; not because they are bad people or that carts/electrics don't work. They might just be harbouring resentment at "wasting" money for years. I would bet that many of the same folks have spend a good chunk of change on brushes, soaps, aftershaves, etc.... , lending credence to "beauty wastage is in the eye of the beholder."

As to your great shave, perhaps the shaky hand gave your disposable a Stahly-esque vibration feature. :001_tongu

I do fully understand and I hope no negativity was taken by my initial response. It's moreso that equipment fixation commonly found with more seasoned wet shavers can start to cloud the adivce given when it comes to the talk of anything with multiple blades, a battery, etc. I wanted to emphasize the fact that learning the principals that one had to in order to be successful with traditional shaving implements will translate to better shaves with modern equipment such as multiblade carts or Electrics. This still doesn't mean that it will be a better option for everyone then say a DE but it also doesn't mean that a DE will always be a better option for everyone. That is where I was getting with my comment, it's easy for someone who found shaving nirvana with a DE after years of dissatisfaction with multiblade carts and who's read countless statements from others in the same situation to immediately dismiss any talk of multiblade carts or Electrics without regard for the fact that what is best for them may not always be the best for someone else. Also then noting the humor in how those same people will overuse the "YMMV" thought when talking about DEs.

I won't lie, I'm envious of people who can use any DE they want with any blade they want and get great shaves. I miss holding my 37c or any of the other cool razors I had in my collection but I don't miss the poor shaves (for different reasons) that I always got. I'm also envious of people who can use impressive modern technology, like a fusion flex ball, and get a great irritation free shave.

After everything I said above and before I decided to pull out the guard after a while of not using it and even that didn't go great. I'm almost at a point where I regret not using my braun 7 every time I pick up something else.

As to the shaky hand, it was humbling for sure haha. I thought to myself how I've picked up a shavette with less fear then that and it made me laugh. Felt like a kid again lol.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Yup, your understanding matches mine.

BTW you can be jealous of me, as I can use a DE, SE, cart, straight, kamisori, or shavette without issue. Can't remember how my shaves were when I used electrics, but I did try rotaries and foils in the '90s.

I've been enjoying traditional wet shaving with DEs for about a year now, but I'm still having trouble getting a good shave on my neck with them. Since it's only been a year, there's a good chance it is just a matter of not getting the right angle or pressure in my case, so I'll keep at it for a bit more, but when I really want a good shave on my neck, I will still reach or my mach 3 or sensor excel, and I get the best results on my neck with those going ATG.

I do find the DEs are great on the rest of my face, so I've mostly been doing a combo DE/cartridge for the best results, but I have the say, the biggest improvement I have found since getting into this type of shaving is with the soaps and creams, and not so much with the difference in the tools (DE vs cartridges). I never really suffered with irritation or cuts using the carts, but since changing to proper shaving soaps and creams, my face feels a whole lot better.

I plan to keep trying for a while longer to see if I can figure out how to get a good shave on my neck using a DE, but even if I can't, I'm perfectly happy keeping my cartridge razors around to finish the job in that area, while using DEs for the rest. At that rate each cartridge can last about 6 months or longer, so I don't feel the pain of their high cost as much as I did before.

Anyway, the main goal for all of us is to try to get the best result in the end, and whatever tools work the best for you is always going to be the best choice. Once I do get through my current stash of carts and I need to restock, I'm very interested in giving the Atra/Track II type carts a try. I have read many posts from people praising them, and they seem to be great blades. I've read about some reasonably priced Persona carts that are made to be used with the Atra/track II handles, as well, and they seem to be a good option, also.

I've been enjoying traditional wet shaving with DEs for about a year now, but I'm still having trouble getting a good shave on my neck with them. Since it's only been a year, there's a good chance it is just a matter of not getting the right angle or pressure in my case, so I'll keep at it for a bit more, but when I really want a good shave on my neck, I will still reach or my mach 3 or sensor excel, and I get the best results on my neck with those going ATG.

I do find the DEs are great on the rest of my face, so I've mostly been doing a combo DE/cartridge for the best results, but I have the say, the biggest improvement I have found since getting into this type of shaving is with the soaps and creams, and not so much with the difference in the tools (DE vs cartridges). I never really suffered with irritation or cuts using the carts, but since changing to proper shaving soaps and creams, my face feels a whole lot better.

I plan to keep trying for a while longer to see if I can figure out how to get a good shave on my neck using a DE, but even if I can't, I'm perfectly happy keeping my cartridge razors around to finish the job in that area, while using DEs for the rest. At that rate each cartridge can last about 6 months or longer, so I don't feel the pain of their high cost as much as I did before.

Anyway, the main goal for all of us is to try to get the best result in the end, and whatever tools work the best for you is always going to be the best choice. Once I do get through my current stash of carts and I need to restock, I'm very interested in giving the Atra/Track II type carts a try. I have read many posts from people praising them, and they seem to be great blades. I've read about some reasonably priced Persona carts that are made to be used with the Atra/track II handles, as well, and they seem to be a good option, also.

Perhaps the best thing for you to look into may be the Leaf Razor. Its a bit pricey as it just came out; it has the unique design of being able to insert DE blades into a razor that pivots and shaves like a cartridge. This product would need to be lower in price for me to use it. Maybe it will work for you.

Theres nothing wrong with carts. I sometimes consider switching back to Mach 3 but I love the nostalgia of my DE. Its your shave, do it how you want.

Been De shaving for almost 5 years. Lately more often than not my DE shaves are unsatisfactory, irritation, not close, nicks. So I have been adding carts into my rotation and pretty much eliminated the irritation and blood. Not quite yet giving up on DE razors, but I can see that happening if I cannot get back to the good DE shaves I was getting. In the end, for me at least, even thought the whole gear acquisition and trials can be fun I want a close, irritation and nick free shave day after day. Whatever works for you, enjoy it.

No shame in it, sir. DE is not the end-all be-all of shaving. Using products you like (not what society forces on you) and having proper technique is the big thing. Enjoy your shaves!

Been De shaving for almost 5 years. Lately more often than not my DE shaves are unsatisfactory, irritation, not close, nicks. So I have been adding carts into my rotation and pretty much eliminated the irritation and blood. Not quite yet giving up on DE razors, but I can see that happening if I cannot get back to the good DE shaves I was getting. In the end, for me at least, even thought the whole gear acquisition and trials can be fun I want a close, irritation and nick free shave day after day. Whatever works for you, enjoy it.

I have to agree except for me it's been a Braun 7 or sometimes the guard. Most of the time I'm reaching for my Braun really. I still keep my rr synth, some proraso, and some barbasol around for when I want to use the guard or wet shave with the Braun.

No shame in it, sir. DE is not the end-all be-all of shaving. Using products you like (not what society forces on you) and having proper technique is the big thing. Enjoy your shaves!

Well said. That pretty much sums it all up.

I just started out trying shaving with a safety razor. I still don't understand why they call them "safety" razors when you are more likely to cut yourself, especially if you are new to shaving with a safety razor. I've decided to go back to carts, once my face heals. I can definitely justify the cost because I get my razors from greatrazors.com and have found that they last longer than store-bought blades.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I just started out trying shaving with a safety razor. I still don't understand why they call them "safety" razors when you are more likely to cut yourself, especially if you are new to shaving with a safety razor. I've decided to go back to carts, once my face heals. I can definitely justify the cost because I get my razors from greatrazors.com and have found that they last longer than store-bought blades.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
They are safe, compared to a straight. :001_302: That said i think you have to invest some time and blood before you get the hang of shaving with a safety razor, but that makes it so rewarding when you finally get great shaves. I gave up on shaving with a safety razor after a lot of bad experiences, then i discovered shaving with a SE and i loved it, after some time, a gave DE shaving another try and it suddenly worked great for me.

I don't pretend that what applies to me will apply to everyone else, but in my case, this is the way it works.

About 5 years ago I caught the de shaving bug. I bought every de razor available, and some were way more pricey than I had any business buying. I wanted to recapture the romance of de shaving. I wanted to find the elusive, finest, and most comfortable shave in the world. The one I got in the fifties when I first tried the new, Gillette, Super Blue Blade in my Gillette, super-speed. I also tried many soap and brush combos as well as different blades.

This morning I lathered up with a silvertip, badger, and shaved one side of my face with a Feather, ASD2,razor and a new Feather blade, the other side with a 3rd use Mach 3 cartridge on an Edwin Jagger, handle. Closeness was about the same with a slight edge to the Mach 3 for comfort. I hope I have gotten over my de, macho, nostalga, complex, and realize that a Mach 3 works best for ME. It's foolish to feel any shame or blame in that.

Wishing everyone the best,
Ron

When I first started shaving regularly I used Gillette Fusion Gel and Schick ST2 disposables. I had BBS everyday with 6-7 shaves total per razor with the following routine: splash of cold water on face and neck, work in small amount of gel by hand, shave N to S, rinse with cold water, work in small amount of gel by hand, shave S to N, cold water rinse, shower, dry off, aqua Velva. Now when I got a little older I needed to incorporate more buffing type strokes and this is when my ingrown issue came in and I went through my stages of "shaving research" as I like to call it.

This summer I spent 2 weeks using my ej de89 trying to hone my technique and get close, irritaiton free and nick free shaves. Never got there. Using Nivea Sensitive Gel and my Proglide power handle and regular proglide carts the last 5 shaves have been all I can want in a shave, BBS no nicks, no irritation. I think I will keep this setup till it stops working for me. It is not the challenge and variety I have with my DE options, but the result is consistent and as good as the best DE shaves I ever managed to get, and did not get that often.

Top Bottom