What's new

WELL, YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT

I have another thread extolling the virtues of my new Razor Rock Game Changer GC 68-P. And, I do really enjoy the shave I get.

While reading the responses regarding my new GC68-P, many of you were saying, if you like the GC68-P, you'll love the RR GC 84-P even more. I always thought I'd end up getting the GC 84-P at sometime, if, for no other reason than to prove to myself it was too aggressive. Being a 'wimp', I'm not comfortable with aggressive razors. Remember, my last razor was a Merkur 180 (23C).

Fast forward, I ended up getting a GC 84-P plate and here's what happened.

A few days ago I think I said, the GC 68-P was at least one of the top 5 shaves of my life.

Well, I'm here to tell you, my second shave shave with the GC 84-P was absolutely the best shave of my life.

Notice I said, "second shave". The first time I shaved with the GC 84-P I was extremely intimidated and tentative and it was a terrible shave. I looked at the gap and began to imagine all sorts of horrible stuff. As I mentioned, I'm a wimp that likes mild razors.

Today, determined to give the GC 84-P an honest evaluation, I performed my normal ritual: hot shower, wash my face with Cremo and rinse. I then applied some Proraso pre shave, while my Scuttle, razor and brush warmed up. I must admit I was still a little nervous.

I lathered up and began my shave. My normal routine is one pass WTG and a second pass ATG, with final clean-up XTG. Like many, my problem areas are my neck, particularly the two "briar patches on each side of Adam's Apple and my jawline.

The GC 84-P just mowed down three days of stubble like it wasn't there! I did take my time, I'm still a little intimidated. But, the overall feel was smooth, comfortable and efficient.

My intent is to use the GC 84-P several days in a row and determine if subsequent shaves become uncomfortable. Although, based upon how my face feels now, I'm not going to have any issues. But, even if I do, I now know the GC 84-P is a great every other day at the very least and my GC68-P is mild enough to use as a daily driver, albeit at the expense of a better shave.

Well, I hope y'all are happy? You cost me an additional $30! LOL! At this point, it was money well spent.

But, do me a favor, no more 'suggestions' for awhile. Okay? Big Smiles.

Thanks to all!

b/r

ON_1

Ha, that's great to hear... and so soon! May I save you some trouble later and suggest that you pay particular attention to the angles that you are using, the one's that are working and the one's that aren't? Make some running mental notes. When you inevitably get a bumpy neck, you aren't going to macerated by that razor, it's important to quickly figure out if it is technique(it usually is), the blade(possible) or the razor is too aggressive for the direction you are shaving(which can be adjusted for). I mention this because razors with positive blade exposure can be very helpful, but if they are a new thing, they simply require a little more attention. Like going from a cartridge to a DE.

Yay, another success story! I am happy everything is working out for you. Way to "face" and conquer your fears.

I alternate days between my GC68-OC and the GC84-P but I almost like the MJ90a better than both of them.

@APBinNCA ...both the GC68-P and the GC 84-P required some technique changes. Afterall, I was using a Merkur 23C prior. Both RR plates required a little more thoughtful approach. At least until I get used to the razor. My favorite blade at this point are Astra SP. I've used (not with this razor combo) Gillette 7 o'clock, Derby, Wilkinson and Personna Blue. Of those blades, the Astra SP are my current favorites. At some point I might try "Feather", but I'm pretty happy with Astra.

Thanks for your interest.

b/r

ON_1

Well I guess that's why you figured out the 84 on the first second try! It's good to hear that they are that similar because the changes made from the Lupo 72 to the 95 were more extensive. I have said it before, but there is a reason these Gamechangers are their best sellers! There is nothing wrong with Astra SPs now, but there were some bad batches a few years ago. You might want to try the Gillette Black Super Platinums, if you can find them, instead of Feathers. And Kais.

It's official! The RazoRock GC 84-P is a keeper. My 3rd shave was better than the 2nd shave. I think we can throw out the first shave as aberrant (operator error). There was no irritation, nicks, or weepers. Just a DFS++!

The razors are great! But, I have to give "Honorable Mention" to my pre-shave routine which has become more consistent in execution. Proper prep makes the razors perform at their best. Proraso Green, Proraso Pre-Shave, a little dab of Cremo and an Alum finish. Oh! And, an Astra SP blade.

The RR GC 68-P and the GC 84-P are both keepers. And that my friends ends my quest for a new razor. You'll no longer be assailed by my pedantic ramblings about my RazoRock Game Changer. LOL!

This has been fun. And here's a well deserved thank you to all that played along. BRAVO ZULU!

b/r

ON_1

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I tell you what, with all this talk about the Razorock GameChanger razors, both the .68 and .84 variation, it sure does make me want to buy one to try it out. But after purchasing 8-total razors, and discovering my perfect razor, I made a vow to not buy anymore razors. And with that vow, the RAD is over, but the general AD continues LOL! I am glad you found a winner with your GameChanger. And thanks for coming back to the forum to let us know your findings.

I wonder just how many members on this forum own Razorock GameChangers? With all the talks about their Lupo razor, one would be lead to believe most folks own Lupo's.

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker ...I couldn't begin to tell you how many people own, or owed RazoRock razors. But, it seems a lot of folks have chosen RazoRock products. Even if they've moved on to other razors, they still have positive opinions of their performance.

This whole journey began for me as a simple search for a replacement DE razor. It certainly took on a life of its own Albeit, a short life. LOL!

I never thought I'd find a quality stainless razor at an affordable price. RazoRock and the Italian Barber have certainly filled that niche.

b/r

ON_1

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Old Navy_1 did you know that there are also the OC and JAWS plate for the Game Changer, have you heard about the Lupo .95 OC? Also, did you know that both are copies of Wolfman designs?

Don't thank me. I am the devil in smurf form.
Swinging Heat Wave GIF by lilcozynostril

@Iridian ...LMAO! You may have missed my intro, but I learned to shave with a hand-me-down OC razor. I thought it was normal to go to school with half a role of TP around my neck. I have an emotional aversion to Open Comb razors. And, I like "mild" razors. I think the RR GC 84-P is as "aggressive" as I want to go. Both, the GC 68-P and the GC 84-P are far from mindless razors I just put on 'auto pilot'.

b/r

ON_1

@APBinNCA ...both the GC68-P and the GC 84-P required some technique changes.
I'm interested in hearing what you learned about how to get the best results with the GC 68-P and 84-P. I recently picked up the 84-P but haven't really had a chance (yet) to shave with it enough to learn the technique.

I'm also curious if you think you'll still use the 68 plate sometimes or if you'll stick with the 84 all the time. I don't have the 68 plate and wondered if it would be handy to have one.

@AndyPanda ...IMHO, there are no 'special' techniques required to get a good shave from either. Simply, good, basic DE wet shaving techniques.

Understand, I've been DE wet shaving for 30 years, or more, so the transition to those plates was pretty easy. But, I did slow down and let the weight of the razor do the work. Something often said here.

Eventhough I have a lot of experience, its with cheap, Zamack/MIM plated razors, so there's an immediate difference in the quality of the shave due to the fact you're using a precision crafted tool. I think most modern, CNC razors will automatically give you a performance increase.

What no one can tell you is how any razor/blade/soap will perform on your face. Its up to you to make that determination for yourself.

To answer your question about keeping the GC68-P plate. The answer is, "yes", I'll keep it in rotation.

b/r

ON_1

Glad you have found a couple of great razors that work well for you. I tried the GC 84 and really didn’t care for it. I do however like the Lupo 95. I believe RazoRock has a razor that will work for nearly everyone. They offer very good performance to dollar ratio for sure….and have plenty of models to choose from.

@gdawg55 ...the GC 84-P is as aggressive as need. I get a DFS+ shave from my GC 68p. I get a better shave from the GC 84-P. But, that's just me. Everybody is different. I'm on day 3 of a 5 day test to see if I get any irritation. So far, there is none. I get a slight tingle when I apply Alum.

b/r

ON_1

Day 4 with the RR GC 84-P. No runs, no drips, no errors. BBS!

The Alum 'tingled', but no 'sting'.

I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to shave tomorrow? But, so far, I'd call this a success.

Regarding technique. I am still being slow and methodical, letting the weight of the razor do the work.

Normally, I change the blade after 5 shaves, but this Astra SP could probably go a few more rounds.

b/r

ON_1

This morning was shave #5 with the RazoRock GC 84-P. I didn't shave yesterday, didn't have time.

It was another excellent shave. No nicks, no weepers, a very comfortable, DFS +++.

I did notice when I used the Alum, a little sting on my neck's leftside. It's always my trouble area.

I'm going going to blame my technique for the 'sting'. Merkur 23C sloppiness raising its ugly head. LOL!

I was rushed and tried to 'buff' that area 'XTG'. The GC 84-P was comfortable and I didn't notice any 'hot-spots' while shaving, that is, until I applied the Alum. Price of poor technique.

My 5 day (technically 6 day) shave test of the RR GC 84-P was a success. This razor is a 'daily driver'. At least for me.

I'm going to trade-off using the GC 68-P and the GC 84-P. Just because I can.

Both plates give me exceptionally, CCS, probably BBS. I can't tell unless my grand baby is around.

Now, who was talking about those "Wolf" razors..."I'm not a collector" - "I'm not a collector". Repeat 10X before bed. LMAO!

b/r

ON_1

Top Bottom