What's new

Well Sue--here we go!

I have not really tried many shave soaps so I though I would give it a real whirl. I figured support the locals and purchased 4 flavors from Sue at St. Charles Shave--I drive through the area twice a week and have an office in the region. The prices seem pretty reasonable so I will try 4. I selected Sandalwood as a standard, New Spice as the feature fragance of St Charles Shave, Citrus Pie, and Rose since so many talk of it and up until now I could never imagine myself using that.

I have heard mixed reviews of St, Charles Shave but mostly pretty positive and Sue is the local team so I figured I try there first. Any ideas about what I will encounter.

MJB

MJB said:
I have not really tried many shave soaps so I though I would give it a real whirl. I figured support the locals and purchased 4 flavors from Sue at St. Charles Shave--I drive through the area twice a week and have an office in the region. The prices seem pretty reasonable so I will try 4. I selected Sandalwood as a standard, New Spice as the feature fragance of St Charles Shave, Citrus Pie, and Rose since so many talk of it and up until now I could never imagine myself using that.

I have heard mixed reviews of St, Charles Shave but mostly pretty positive and Sue is the local team so I figured I try there first. Any ideas about what I will encounter.
MJB

Great lather, a wonderful aroma (have breakfast ready before using the Citrus Pie...you WILL be hungry after using that one), a close, smooth shave. If you are looking for anything else, you are buying the wrong products!

Randy

I'll say one thing about the Savory Rose. I'm not a "rose" guy. Not at all. I ordered Sue's Savory Rose. Soon followed by T&H Rose Shaving Cream. Soon followed by Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel.

Hey, Sue, this is ALL your fault.

Oh, yeah, ordered the Savory Rose for the g/f as well!

Good stuff!

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
I'll say one thing about the Savory Rose. I'm not a "rose" guy. Not at all. I ordered Sue's Savory Rose. Soon followed by T&H Rose Shaving Cream. Soon followed by Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel.

Hey, Sue, this is ALL your fault.

Oh, yeah, ordered the Savory Rose for the g/f as well!

Good stuff!

Randy
For an out of this world experience, lather up both savory rose and shamrock then mix them in your shaving bowl. Close your eyes and you'd swear there was a fresh bouquet of roses sitting in front of you. INCREDIBLE!!!

I ordered my sixth soap from Sue this week. I've only been wetshaving for six months, so why do I need so many soaps? Because Sue's soaps are fun. I can't wait to smell this Savory Rose everybody talks about. I never thought I would be a rose guy, but I have a tube of Trumper's Rose that smells great.

NJB,
Thank you for trying my soaps! I sincerely hope you are happy with your purchase. Once you have had the opportunity to use them, I look forward to your opinion; good or bad, either here or by email if you prefer.

Hhmmm, Mixing Savory Rose with Shamrock, eh? I'm going to have to mix some and smell that myself. It sounds like very good potential as a fragrance of the month, or a bath bar, or a shower gel, lotion or ?? ...... HEY! please don't get me started :).
Sue

Let's see..... I have ginger lime,savory rose, orange sorbet, new spice, citrus basil, and cool lime on order. :drool:

Why? :confused:

WHY NOT!:w00t:

I think if these soaps had been around when the gillettes were initially out, most men would have never switched to the multi blades.

Plus, saint sue is a pleasure to deal with.

Marty

Rik said:
For an out of this world experience, lather up both savory rose and shamrock then mix them in your shaving bowl. Close your eyes and you'd swear there was a fresh bouquet of roses sitting in front of you. INCREDIBLE!!!

I tried this mix this morning and it was great!

Sue said:
NJB,
Thank you for trying my soaps! I sincerely hope you are happy with your purchase. Once you have had the opportunity to use them, I look forward to your opinion; good or bad, either here or by email if you prefer.

Hhmmm, Mixing Savory Rose with Shamrock, eh? I'm going to have to mix some and smell that myself. It sounds like very good potential as a fragrance of the month, or a bath bar, or a shower gel, lotion or ?? ...... HEY! please don't get me started :).
Sue
All of the above please. :biggrin:

I mixed this fragrance combo earlier today and it does smell wonderful! I had an empty Bamboo Diffuser on hand and it is now filled with the mix. Tomorrow my kitchen will smell heavenly with this scent as the reeds fill with the oils.

I will seriously look at offering this when I have a bit more time. Am busy trying to get my new EDT launched. Thank you for the excellant suggestion.
Sue

Sue--Thanks for replying. Look forward to receiving the package.

I sadly have a little problem. Not as bad as some problems but a bit of one. I have a known peanut allergy and may have had an accidental ingestion--usually pretty obvious and lasts about 18 hours unless I shoot myself up with epinephrine. Ate something suspicious on Wed or may have actually had an insect bite. In any case, I got hives bad enough and long lasting enough to be on high doses of prednisone and Allegra. Usually acute urticaria (hives) doesn't last 3 days but that's where I am now--ugh! This is the first 3 day reaction I have had so I'm in uncharted territory--can't say I have been on prednisone for decades; gosh I hope this clears up soon! Let me emphasize, I have used no new products recently so I am convinced this is not a shaving product reaction.

Bottom line when the package arrives, I hope the hives are gone because I don't think it would be smart to try something new during a pre-existing outbreak. So if anyone knows a hives go away dance (or prayer better yet) I'll send the music. I'm really excited about these new soaps so I need this reaction to go away.

Again thanks for the good wishes Sue--how's that for customer service; top shelf I would say!

MJB

MJB,

Hives are miserable. I used to break out from O.D.'ing on fresh strawberries or from becoming too cold, of all things. My adult daughter breaks out when under extreme stress. Benadryl can sometimes help but if not, quick taper prednisone. I hope they clear very soon for you.

I am happy that you didn't order an Almond. It seems that the Almond soaps (mine and other brands) are not good for those with a high sensitivity. Do a 24 hour skin patch test for anything new prior to using it and read every label for peanuts, it's oils or derivatives in food items.

Please be cognizant of the dangers of high dose prednisone long term; cataracts, obesity/weight gain, diabetes, and bone loss to name only a few. It's a cheap, quick fix drug but carries it's own risks.

Sue

Sue said:
MJB,

Hives are miserable. I used to break out from O.D.'ing on fresh strawberries or from becoming too cold, of all things. My adult daughter breaks out when under extreme stress. Benadryl can sometimes help but if not, quick taper prednisone. I hope they clear very soon for you.

I am happy that you didn't order an Almond. It seems that the Almond soaps (mine and other brands) are not good for those with a high sensitivity. Do a 24 hour skin patch test for anything new prior to using it and read every label for peanuts, it's oils or derivatives in food items.

Please be cognizant of the dangers of high dose prednisone long term; cataracts, obesity/weight gain, diabetes, and bone loss to name only a few. It's a cheap, quick fix drug but carries it's own risks.

Sue

Thanks, I'm all too aware. I'm an MD--trained as an internist and gastroenterologist--practicing gastreoenterologist and hepatologist. Sometimes, prednisone is needed. But I always start it with an exit or at the very least a dose reduction strategy. My personal doc is a top notch allergist so believe me the strategy to exit the prednisone is well in place--also believe me the antihistamines are in full swing. I don't treat myself--an unwise thing to do.

So far I have avoided almond containing skin products. I have a known peanut allergy and pretty sure pistachio but am not too sure about other tree nuts. I did RAST testing yesterday and checked almonds along with many other tree nuts and legumes. Another real concern for me may be latex. Gastroenertologist wear lots of latex gloves and this is a real possibility --and at least would identify something I could adress but switching to the less favored but at least usuable vinyl gloves.

Thanks again for caring. I really look forward to the products but to be fair to them, I will not try them out until this new problem is at the very least identified if not resolved. I would not want to imply your fine products when they don't deserve it. I will follow your suggestion about the patch testing.

MJB

MJB,
Both for your sake and for the sake of not missing out on Sue's soaps, I hope that your quickly return to full health.

MJB,
I apologize to you and certainly meant no disrespect of your knowledge. I did not know your professional background. I personally was driven to disability by the rampant use of immunosuppresive therapy for the bacterial TH1 immune disease of neurosarcoidosis which went undiagnosed for five years. I was ignorant of the adverse effects of the drugs I was prescribed; high dose prednisone, IV medrol, and MTX were the top three. Along with the disabling sx., I worsened to severe bone pain and frightening cardiac sx.

I am fighting my way back with ABX and have overcome the bone pain and cardiac sarc involvement which is what killed Philadelphia Eagle great, Reggie White.

Prednisone is such a powerful immunosuppressant and I worry when I hear of ppl taking it and possibly not knowing the risks. One of my best friends of over 30 years is now diabetic from pred. for her psoriasis and I have had cataracts removed from both eyes but have permanent vision loss. I have become a prednisone vigilante I suppose but in no way meant my previous post as a detriment to your knowledge.
Sue

Top Bottom