What's new

Well Sue--here we go!

Sue said:
MJB,
I apologize to you and certainly meant no disrespect of your knowledge. I did not know your professional background. I personally was driven to disability by the rampant use of immunosuppresive therapy for the bacterial TH1 immune disease of neurosarcoidosis which went undiagnosed for five years. I was ignorant of the adverse effects of the drugs I was prescribed; high dose prednisone, IV medrol, and MTX were the top three. Along with the disabling sx., I worsened to severe bone pain and frightening cardiac sx.

I am fighting my way back with ABX and have overcome the bone pain and cardiac sarc involvement which is what killed Philadelphia Eagle great, Reggie White.

Prednisone is such a powerful immunosuppressant and I worry when I hear of ppl taking it and possibly not knowing the risks. One of my best friends of over 30 years is now diabetic from pred. for her psoriasis and I have had cataracts removed from both eyes but have permanent vision loss. I have become a prednisone vigilante I suppose but in no way meant my previous post as a detriment to your knowledge.
Sue
Sue-

First and foremost, I was IN NO WAY taken aback by your post. On the contrary, I was quite TOUCHED that you would care--so I APPRECIATE that. So no apology was necessary. I did want you NOT to worry that I am not taking this very seriously.

I am the first to admit, no drug (let alone prednisone) is without its very real downsides--I pick my prescriptions carefully and appreciate your understanding and experiences greatly.

I am really tickled to try your products and look forward to getting more in the future. People have posted so highly of you and now I know why.

Sue, my friend, here is to good health for both of us (and everyone else too) and I look forward to becoming a loyal customer.

MJB

Sue I am glad you posted this. My dad's wife has had a recent flair up of sarcoidosis. They are treating her with prednizone which has caused her blood sugar to go unstable, they now say she is type 2 diabetic. She has freq vision problems and has been to the ER too often to count the past couple months.
Do you mind if I email you with some questions?:confused:

Sue said:
MJB,
I apologize to you and certainly meant no disrespect of your knowledge. I did not know your professional background. I personally was driven to disability by the rampant use of immunosuppresive therapy for the bacterial TH1 immune disease of neurosarcoidosis which went undiagnosed for five years. I was ignorant of the adverse effects of the drugs I was prescribed; high dose prednisone, IV medrol, and MTX were the top three. Along with the disabling sx., I worsened to severe bone pain and frightening cardiac sx.

I am fighting my way back with ABX and have overcome the bone pain and cardiac sarc involvement which is what killed Philadelphia Eagle great, Reggie White.

Prednisone is such a powerful immunosuppressant and I worry when I hear of ppl taking it and possibly not knowing the risks. One of my best friends of over 30 years is now diabetic from pred. for her psoriasis and I have had cataracts removed from both eyes but have permanent vision loss. I have become a prednisone vigilante I suppose but in no way meant my previous post as a detriment to your knowledge.
Sue

Just an update. The rash has not moved--its almost certainly not hives. While hives may persist they rarely last more than 18 hours and even if they do, the first affected areas resolve and then move around and creep up elsewhere.

Based upon some criteria, I am about 80 percent certain that I am suffering from an acute cutaneous vasculitis (aka leukocytoclastic vasculitis). The upsides, this will usually go away on its own over days to weeks--it will leave some marks behind but those too will fade over time. Other upsides, it usually is not associated with dangerous internal organ injury. The downsides of this--its unpleasant, it could happen again, and there are always (though not commonly) exceptions to the upsides

I am in a way fascinated by my watching my own immune complex disease evolve--strange feeling to be fascinated by your own illness.

Oh--by the way one more upside--since this isn't a contact injury or typical allergy (IgG mediated rather than IgE) I get to use my soaps when they arrive.

MJB

Well--my rash is much better and what is left is on the retreat--victory is mine!

Yesterday my soaps came. Not yet but this morning I made my penultimate jump to what I believe will make me a true wet shaver--still waiting for the HD to come in the mail.

So this is impression #1.

The background. I mostly shaved using the AOS system with Sandalwood cream (have a tube of Taylor's Sandalwood cream that I have used as well). The brush is the entry level AOS Pure Badger that comes with the kit--it's to be replaced soon. I'm eyeing the Shavemac line (the 26 mm acryllic transparent caught my eye) but eagerly wonder about the B & B brush. The razor is a Chrome handle Mach 3 Turbo (the Chrome handle is from Brookstone)--I did not use a brand new cartridge today.

I selected Savory Rose. I used few drop of pre-shave oil for head start ande lathered on the face rather than in a bowl. The lather was not as full as I have gotten with the cream but I don't know that I figured on the water/soap ratio yet and this is really my first soap experience so too early. Still the lather was definitely adequate and the shave was very comfortable. The real great thing today was the aroma. I really like the rose and could either smell it later or it was imprinted in my mind most of the morning--bottom line, I really enjoyed it!

I will continue to improve the technique and may lather in a bowl too. I suspect, I will get much better and clearly already feel adequately at home with the products after only one day. I suspect a bigger and (even with a soap I sense) softer brush would be better for me. So after one day success and much happiness. We'll see how the face reacts to this more chronically but something tells me I'm getting better at this.

Thank you Sue and thank you to all from whom I have learned at B & B.

MJB

MJB,
I am pleased to hear the rash has improved.

Thank you for the update on your first impression of my soap.

Happy brush hunting, I don't know how you guys choose, there is such a vast array available. Me, I'd probably pick the 'prettiest' handle or try to match my bathroom decor :)
Sue

Sue said:
Hhmmm, Mixing Savory Rose with Shamrock, eh? I'm going to have to mix some and smell that myself. It sounds like very good potential as a fragrance of the month, or a bath bar, or a shower gel, lotion or ?? ...... HEY! please don't get me started :).
Sue

Sounds like a winner to me! Anything to get Shamrock back in the lineup... If the Shamrock scent were available as a liqueur, I'd rapidly descend from lovable drunk to gutter trash. :blushing:

-Nick

Nick said:
Sounds like a winner to me! Anything to get Shamrock back in the lineup... If the Shamrock scent were available as a liqueur, I'd rapidly descend from lovable drunk to gutter trash. :blushing:

-Nick

:lol: :lol: :eek:

So I thought I'd keep a bit of an update as to where we are going.

First I have now used all four of the shaving soaps which I had originally ordered from Sue at St. Chales Shave. I now have ordered two more, three EDTs, and 2 after shave balms--that in and of itself says something I guess.

I also made several changes in technique at the same time. Most important, I am now using an HD rather than a M3 so a bit of a learning curve. I am also improving my ability to use a soap as up til now I have only used Taylors and AOS Sandalwoods as the more refined (or wetshaving type) creams. I have on order a 26 mm Shavebrush.

I do like the SCS soaps obviously. As yet I have been unable to get the same kind of lather as I could with the creams I had mentioned but it is improving every shave as I work on technique. My biggest limitation seems to be initially getting a reasonable amount of soap on the brush. I think that I need a few more swirls on the soap and a bit more patience generating lather in the bowl and finding the right water/soap mix. Also, I think the larger brush may help with this too.

What impresses me most are the aromas. They are much more fun than the Taylors and AOS in my opionion. 'Fun' may seem an odd choice of words but its the best I can think off. The AOS and Taylors by comparison seem austere and formal. The SCS scents are more spicy and food like; there is a playfulness to them without a bubble gum sense. With the AOS, I feel like I need to be very quiet and subdued--fall in the line with the rest of the establishment--SCS scents bring out more of the dancing ipod shadow from those ipod commercials; they have energy and personality.

As for my shaves, pretty good so far. Realize that I just switched to the DE razor and they technique is being mastered. I used too much pressure the first few shaves and suffered some razorburn and also post shaved only with Thayer's. I used a balm yesterday and less pressure and got a remarkable close shave and the face is well on the mend. I got a sample of B and B BayRum with a Twist and bought some as well several other EDTs and two balms. Honestly, I used to pay 50 to 75 dollars for a bottle of EDT and for that I could buy two of every EDT that Sue makes and have money left over.

Maybe this sounds silly, I like knowing that there is someone out there whose name I know who is making the soap I use. It's not some manufacturer, its not some big establishment, its Sue--the soap artist--from St. Charles. I can't be sure but it seems that Shavemacs are made by a gent names Berndt (is that right) so I know who made my soon to be delivered shaving brush. If I buy QED (I know it'll be Charles who seems a tough demanding sort based on his posts--and good for him) or Mama Bear is the other Sue (she sure seems nice too). I may endeavor to see if Charles and the other Sue might sell to me in the future as I descend into ?SCAD (shaving cream acquistion disorder?).

One the whole, I like all the soaps but maybe the Rose the best, or perhaps the Citrus Pie, or maybe the New Spice, or perhaps the Sandalwood---hah--I really don't gotta choose just shave for the moment. Today's plan is Citrus Basil, Tony's choice after shave balm, and 2-11 EDT. Also new blade for the HD today!

MJB

Addendum: Profoundly great lather today with Citrus Basil. Good shave. Liked the Tony's Choice Sensitive--vanilla? mint? Not too tacky.

MJB

MJB,

Great to here the DE shaving is going well for you. And congratulations on all the new products (not to mention the skin clearing). It really is a lot of fun getting started with this stuff.

Btw, for the lather issues, there is a great tutorial with pictures that Scotto did around here somewhere, using QED soap. I found it extremely helpful, and was able to get a lather equally as thick as a cream lather after reading it. I do one think differently though. Rather than using a wet brush to start with, I shake it out pretty well - I find this results in less mess while swirling on the soap. Then I gradually add water to the bowl while I whip, so I can see when I get it right. But it sounds like maybe you've got that nailed as of your last shave, anyway.

I agree with you on the buying from people who's name you know. I recently got a Shavemac too, and got great service, as well as a very nice email from Berndt when I asked him a question about custom brushes. Likewise, Charles is great to deal with, and his sandlewood soap is fantastic. I am looking forward to buying from the Sues at SCS and Mama Bear soon. (My only complaint is that there are just too many makers of fabulous homemade soaps with too many scents to try them all :smile: ).

Shane

Forgot to mention. I use Cremo-Cream from time to time, which shaves like blazes, either with or without brush (great when I'm in a huge hurry), although the pina colada smell doesn't do it for me. I emailed the link from the website, and got a really nice thoughtful and personal response from Mike Boone, the founder of the company, so you can add that to your list....

Yes, that's the best way: highlight the word that will become the link, then click the little icon of a world with a link (tooltip says "Insert link") and you can insert the link. I ususally copy the link so I can just paste it in. This is especially nice with very long links (as with eBay) since using the link directly stretches out the whole page.

MJB said:
One the whole, I like all the soaps but maybe the Rose the best, or perhaps the Citrus Pie, or maybe the New Spice, or perhaps the Sandalwood---hah--I really don't gotta choose just shave for the moment. Today's plan is Citrus Basil, Tony's choice after shave balm, and 2-11 EDT. Also new blade for the HD today!

MJB

Addendum: Profoundly great lather today with Citrus Basil. Good shave. Liked the Tony's Choice Sensitive--vanilla? mint? Not too tacky.

MJB

I know exactly how you feel about the SCS soaps-my hardest choice is to decide between the cool lime, orange sherbet, new spice, citrus basil, ginger lime, or the savory rose. I guess I'll have to buy the scents I don't currently own to at least make the decisions totally fair!

Marty

An update yet again-

I have become much better with these soaps. The improved brush has helped. I find that I really do my best lathering on my face (as the SCS page recommends) and now I make absolutely terrific lather.

The scents are terrific but I have picked my true favorite...drumroll please...its' Citrus Basil followed by Savory Rose.

I also very much like the colognes. 2-11 and Sandalwood I prefer very much and the 2-11 seems about the right scent for these hot days. ONE HALF spray lasts honestly 12-16 hours. Very nicely done Sue.

MJB

Top Bottom