What's new

Well... It's happening. Kitchen remodel. Appliances ordered.

The only recommendation I have is what to stay away from: Samsung.

When we moved into our house we added some new Samsung appliances: a refrigerator, a range, and a microwave. None of them work properly. The refrigerator can't make ice properly. This is a photo taken from a Facebook page dealing with recalls. However, it is the same problem I have. I have to empty the ice every evening and once a week take a hair dryer to defrost the ice that attaches to the ice maker. Otherwise, it will not make ice.

1612973325564.png

The microwave is another "winner." Iit has a mind of its own. At times, it will beep constantly even if nothing is in the microwave and no buttons have been pushed. Plus, you are reminded to constantly replace the various filters which are quite expensive. Then there are the buttons. Sometimes you press them and they work - other times it takes six or seven attempts to press the buttons.

The range worked fine for as long as the warranty was in effect. A week later the timer malfunctioned. I called their authhorized service repair department and could not believe what they would charge. I then called a local service repair company who fixed the issue for less than half the cost of the authorized repair service. It was a motherboard issue. The owner of the repair company was the service rep who came to our house. I asked him what he thought of Samsung products. He said he loved them: they sell many applainces and have so many problems that makes up a good amount of his business.

I am a fan of carbon steel pans. I did splurge a bit with BluSkillet but if I ignore the handles they are functionally about the same as my Matfer. The other reason I like the BS is that they are made local to me and I can drive to the shop and pick them up in person and talk with the person that made my pan.

I built a house in 2019 and ended up with a wolf gas (propane) range that I like. I like that with the exception of the oven thermostat and ignigtors it is a mostly mechanical design. I prefer simple appliances that don't have a "brain" or wifi apps to go bad. My theory is that if the appliance is simple enough a simple person like me can maintain them

We had similar set-up when I lived with my friend in another city.

We were (still are) bachelors and shared the 2 BHK apartment, and we had two induction cooktops.

We couldn't find the sweet spot for heating the tea chai and used to always manage to spill it out (over boil) from the kettle everyday.

Resourceful, not pitiful.

Speaking of getting by as bachelors... anyone old enough to remember the days when bars used to put out buffets during happy hour? Nothing fancy... taco bar, dogs/burgers, mac & cheese, etc... made up a good portion of my meals back in the day.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Speaking of getting by as bachelors... anyone old enough to remember the days when bars used to put out buffets during happy hour? Nothing fancy... taco bar, dogs/burgers, mac & cheese, etc... made up a good portion of my meals back in the day.

Oh, yeah. Taco/nacho bars and little smokies were pretty popular. I don't know if I recall burgers, but I certainly have images of steam pans full of cheap hot dogs!

I've had similar experience in our Urban/ Semi Urban areas where happy hours were teemed with great crowd and Kebabs (at discount) with Beers (at half price), those were good times.

Nowadays that tradition has died and Bars are not much fun to visit as there is no
" community feeling " and Happy hour is just for name.

My experience may be different than many people from the States, I am from India.

I've had similar experience in our Urban/ Semi Urban areas where happy hours were teemed with great crowd and Kebabs (at discount) with Beers (at half price), those were good times.

Nowadays that tradition has died and Bars are not much fun to visit as there is no
" community feeling " and Happy hour is just for name.

My experience may be different than many people from the States, I am from India.

Kebab and beers, that is pretty much honorary UK ;)

Avi

Top Bottom