What's new

Well, it happened to me. My beloved SLOC head is stripped.

:c17:

Luckily, I have two. I was definitely one of those that didn't believe this could ever happen.
YES, I am interested in a stainless steel one if/when it ever comes to fruition.

I use the SLOC as part of almost EVERY SHAVE (I like to use two razors for every shave).

Yes, I'll order another in the meantime. Bummed though. Please send flowers and condolences to #takemymoneyforastainlessSLOC.

Thank you.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Razorock SLOC is a great DE razor and used mine a lot, but my collection grew and now I have a larger rotation of razors. As I have used so many different ones over the years they all have characteristics you zero in on. When I traveled I liked to take the SLOC or the RR old type, the SLOC is a smooth shaver for such a aggressive looking razor which it is not.
Excellent razor in my books, bought one for my Son who uses it still 2 years ago for a Christmas present.
Put a little Vaseline on the threads every once in a while and don't over tighten if possible should help.
Stainless steel can gall and needs a little lube also, I worked with Stainless steel a lot in the pulp mill and it will gall the threads. Titanium nuts and bolts are the worst for galling of threads IMO and should be lubed.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Razorock SLOC is a great DE razor and used mine a lot, but my collection grew and now I have a larger rotation of razors. As I have used so many different ones over the years they all have characteristics you zero in on. When I traveled I liked to take the SLOC or the RR old type, the SLOC is a smooth shaver for such a aggressive looking razor which it is not.
Excellent razor in my books, bought one for my Son who uses it still 2 years ago for a Christmas present.
Put a little Vaseline on the threads every once in a while and don't over tighten if possible should help.
Stainless steel can gall and needs a little lube also, I worked with Stainless steel a lot in the pulp mill and it will gall the threads. Titanium nuts and bolts are the worst for galling of threads IMO and should be lubed.
Good to know my friend!

Here's a trick I learned from a machinist. When screwing one threaded thing to another, say a handle to a razor head, turn the handle in the opposite direction that you would normally use. Counter-clockwise is the usual. Keep turning the handle until you hear and feel the "drop". At that point the threads are aligned and you can turn clockwise.

Bummer but thats a zamak head for you. Once the plating breaks down, it doesnt take long before water attacks the threads and they wear down.

Luckily, I have two. I was definitely one of those that didn't believe this could ever happen.
YES, I am interested in a stainless steel one if/when it ever comes to fruition.

I use the SLOC as part of almost EVERY SHAVE (I like to use two razors for every shave).

Yes, I'll order another in the meantime. Bummed though. Please send flowers and condolences to #takemymoneyforastainlessSLOC.

Thank you.

Got a picture of the broken bit? For curiosity's sake :)

Go ahead laugh all ya want. I ain't out there hoarding toilet paper and meat...

full

+1! Zamak! But you got your money’s worth IMO!
Ive got several zamak razors too and theyre great razors. Theyre just not razors that I expect to keep for a lifetime. Ive got a Muhle R89, Gillette Heritage, King C Gillette, Razorock German 37 and a Merkur 37C. If I used those razors daily, Id expect each of them to last me 3-5 years.
Ive also got a Muhle Rocca and a Razorock Wunderbar. I expect both of those razors to last a lifetime.

Ah, my zamak head Merkur 36 had gone 4 decades, myself and then my son as users, before it was hijacked from his workplace. It was still intact when it disappeared.

I would expect a lot more than 3-5 years from a well made zamak head, unless it is dropped or abused.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Thank you.
Very sorry to hear. :(

And glad you thought ahead and got a spare. 👍

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Here's a trick I learned from a machinist. When screwing one threaded thing to another, say a handle to a razor head, turn the handle in the opposite direction that you would normally use. Counter-clockwise is the usual. Keep turning the handle until you hear and feel the "drop". At that point the threads are aligned and you can turn clockwise.

Good advice. I stumbled upon that method long ago. Nice to know machinists endorse it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have a SLOC as well. I don't use it often but I do like it. As others have stated its zamak and in general razors built from that material just don't last decades as stainless and brass razors do.

Top Bottom