What's new

Well, I'm an idiot...

Note to self; take it easy when stropping on your own arm
DSC_0212.JPG

It could have been worse, but ouch.
Yeah, fortunately it was just to draw blood and no more!

Strops don't cost that much. :)

At least it wasn't a brand new strop, that model is 27 years old :)
:a14: I have been thinking of buying a newer one!

I am unfamiliar with the "arm stropping" technique
Leather is skin so why not use fresh skin:001_tt2:

You have the "high end" type that autoheals.
Lucky me:001_302:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I recommend starting out on a cheap arm that way you don’t cut up your good one while you’re learning to strop.

The circled area is a better self-stropping area for me. Demands more of a lateral pass, which could pose problems elsewhere. Either that or practice with a butter knife on the full arm first. ;-)

Arm-Stropping-rev-1.jpg

I've done a little palm stropping too, but never arm stropping. I've had a few accidents too, especially while restoring razors. Heal up and good luck!

Matt

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I’ve never seen the point of palm stropping TBH. I’m not afraid to do it, but I have strops hanging all over the place, and if I’m going to strop it just makes sense to do it on a strop and not my arm.

I’ve never seen the point of palm stropping TBH. I’m not afraid to do it, but I have strops hanging all over the place, and if I’m going to strop it just makes sense to do it on a strop and not my arm.
I've done similar to clean off junk from a blade, or to feel for a bent/foil/rolled edge, but not to actually strop.

I view palm-stropping more as icing on the cake. By that I mean that I will first use a dedicated strop, then sometimes strop on the heel of my palm for a few laps more at the end. Palm-stropping also helps in removing junk on the blade or feeling for edge irregularities as Clay S mentions. When I use a long hanging strop, I rarely palm strop, but when I am using a paddle strop, I find palm-stropping comes in "handy" at the end.

Top Bottom