What's new

Well, I don't actually HAVE to use an fountain pen.

I mailed in my federal and state income taxes today. Yeah yeah, I know; everyone else here did theirs back in January. But anyway.

Being old fashioned and eccentric, I didn't do this electronically. I downloaded and printed out the forms, took out my file of tax stuff, and started filling out the federal one, using my Parker 51 and Pilot Blue-Black ink. I hadn't filled out more than a few lines before I realized that this wasn't going to be a good idea on my cheap printer paper. This pen leaves a nice fine-ish line in my Life Noble journal. It leaves a medium-ish line on the fairly good printer paper we have at work. But on this paper, it spread out to a broad, and there was a distracting amount of show through on the reverse.

I finished it anyway as my practice form, then did a neat copy using (sigh) a Jotter ballpoint. At least it had a pretty nice refill for a ballpoint, a black Dupont one that is really quite smooth. Then the same thing for the state form.

It's not actually a matter of principle to use a fountain pen, but it's a pretty strong preference. For those here who filed paper forms, how many used a fountain pen? Maybe if I'd had something with an extra fine nib inked up.

And the state form actually said to use blue or black ink only. Sheesh, my Sailor Jentle Shigure (purple) or Tokiwa-matsu (green) aren't good enough for them? Granted, I was going to use blue or black anyway, but still...

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I used to fill out official documents using a fountain pen, but I've gotten away from that habit because of feathering, bleed through, and the chance of smears and smudges. I have a Sheaffer Targa ballpoint that I bring with me if I know that I'm going to sign a credit card receipt or something of that nature.

Due to some hand issues, I have a really hard time using a ballpoint for more than just a few words. For those times I can't use a fountain pen, gel pens work well for me. The TUL brand pens write really nice, but they burn through ink like crazy.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Fountain pens with manifold nibs were created to write through carbon paper copies. They work well even with NCR copies.

I've used a couple of Shaeffer Imperials (EF) with Noodler's Heart of Darkness or 5 O'Clock Shadow when I had to use black on forms or paperwork, and Rohrer and Klingner Salix when I could get away with blue.

I prefer EF nibs in general, and the Iron Galls of the R&H (Scabriosa too) are very well behaved in any pen, and the best behaved on any paper I've had to use. they're my favorite inks at this point, and I prefer permanent inks.

Rohrer and Klingner Salix ... and the Iron Galls of the R&H (Scabriosa too) are very well behaved in any pen, and the best behaved on any paper I've had to use.
I have heard so many good things about this ink, but I really want to try it out. Can you get samples of this ink anywhere? If I could drop an EF nib in my 51, paired with this ink, I would have a real workhorse!

Top Bottom