What's new

Well, I blind-purchased some Kouros

Well, the Kouros has landed. I am happy to say it was love at first sniff....just from the atomizer, before I even sprayed any! There is absolutely nothing stinky about this juice to me, whatsoever. It's very complex yet so cohesive, I don't feel the need to try and detect the individual notes. The main scent I find easy to discern however is a spicy incense. Having spent so much time around Orthodox churches, there's something mildly churchy about this frag. Who knows, maybe the Greeks were rocking Kouros and that was what I was smelling, but whatever. This frag is delightfully sweet, earthy, and citrusy and one I'm glad to have purchased blind. Thanks for all your feedback everyone!

IMG_0258.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well, the Kouros has landed. I am happy to say it was love at first sniff....just from the atomizer, before I even sprayed any! There is absolutely nothing stinky about this juice to me, whatsoever. It's very complex yet so cohesive, I don't feel the need to try and detect the individual notes. The main scent I find easy to discern however is a spicy incense. Having spent so much time around Orthodox churches, there's something mildly churchy about this frag. Who knows, maybe the Greeks were rocking Kouros and that was what I was smelling, but whatever. This frag is delightfully sweet, earthy, and citrusy and one I'm glad to have purchased blind. Thanks for all your feedback everyone!

View attachment 1104819

Glad you like! A risky BB.

If you like Greek incense (frankincense) hopefully you have a Greek grocery nearby. I burn the stuff, they sell charcoal tablets too.

And gyro meat. And baklava.

AA

Best ever. It is my summer stable. I have two 50ml bottles of first edition vintage and 100ml bottle of slightly concentrated Sanofi era bottle which is more like an edp now due to concentration and still superb stuff. Also bought few weeks ago an aftershave which has been on my radar for quite some time.

Current stuff is good too, but much more fresh, clean and crowd pleasing. Still excellent at summer heat. I had current bottles but sold them due to owning vintages which seem to last my lifetime anyway.

A follow-up on the Kouros. I actually like it much better when it's warmer out. During the few cool days we recently had, it didn't smell very nice either from the atomizer or once applied. I was concerned the honeymoon was over and I was not going to really like it any longer. Then...the heatwave rolled back in, and Kouros becomes a different animal altogether and smelled a lot like it did when I first got it. Crazy!

A follow-up on the Kouros. I actually like it much better when it's warmer out. During the few cool days we recently had, it didn't smell very nice either from the atomizer or once applied. I was concerned the honeymoon was over and I was not going to really like it any longer. Then...the heatwave rolled back in, and Kouros becomes a different animal altogether and smelled a lot like it did when I first got it. Crazy!
It is a summer fragrance 😉

I’ve noticed that some days when my office gets warm, it reactivates and I get just enough of that wonderful smell to remind me of my shave.

Kouros really shines in the hottest days of summer. But do not overdo it though, can become cloying. 2-3 sprays. 4 max.

I blind bought a bottle recently and I agree, I love it. I find that the majority of the polarizing fragrances tend to be right up my alley. For example Yatagan from Caron is absolutely amazing, yet so many people despise it. The same goes for Tabac!!

The muskiness of Kouros is too much for me to tell the truth. I do like Givenchy Gentleman (the old formulation), which has similar patchouli and civet notes, but not isn’t quite so “in your face.”

My sample of Kouros came in. I've only tried a spray on a wrist so far. I like it, but mostly what I smell is incense.

I blind bought a bottle recently and I agree, I love it. I find that the majority of the polarizing fragrances tend to be right up my alley. For example Yatagan from Caron is absolutely amazing, yet so many people despise it. The same goes for Tabac!!
I am pleased to see so much love for Kouros in this thread. I would have thought it was a difficult scent--especially the vintage version--and I would say it is the epitome of a polarizing scent. And I sure understand on both counts. But I love it, too. I think YSL was brave and skilled to put this one out as a frag, perhaps especially at the time it did.

I do not love Yatagan, but I get it. I suppose do not mind smelling it, but I would not want to wear it, and only in part because it supposedly has some pretty wild associations with various folks who did wear a lot of it, which is something I have no idea about and I cannot speak to. To me it has strong celery or celery seed notes. I would say difficult and polarizing.

I would say that Tabac in the shaving soap, AS, and EDC versions, does not seem very difficult to me and I do not know that it is polarizing. The AS version in particular seems very approachable to me. But the EDT version is an entirely different story. I like a lot of difficult and polarizing scents. Others I may not like so much, but I still respect them, because I feel like I understand them. I do not get Tabac EDT at all.

I am pleased to see so much love for Kouros in this thread. I would have thought it was a difficult scent--especially the vintage version--and I would say it is the epitome of a polarizing scent. And I sure understand on both counts. But I love it, too. I think YSL was brave and skilled to put this one out as a frag, perhaps especially at the time it did.

I do not love Yatagan, but I get it. I suppose do not mind smelling it, but I would not want to wear it, and only in part because it supposedly has some pretty wild associations with various folks who did wear a lot of it, which is something I have no idea about and I cannot speak to. To me it has strong celery or celery seed notes. I would say difficult and polarizing.

I would say that Tabac in the shaving soap, AS, and EDC versions, does not seem very difficult to me and I do not know that it is polarizing. The AS version in particular seems very approachable to me. But the EDT version is an entirely different story. I like a lot of difficult and polarizing scents. Others I may not like so much, but I still respect them, because I feel like I understand them. I do not get Tabac EDT at all.

I'm with you on Tabac EDT. It was completely off and synthetic to my nose and smelled nothing like anything else Tabac. Luckily, the EDC is sold in spray form!

Great post. I agree 100%

Great post. I agree 100%
Thanks for saying, B. I would say that I am more and more thinking, like Aaron Terrence Hughes, the You Tube reviewer and perfumer himself, that Kouros is/was a very important and magnificent scent. In the past, I have not appreciated it as much as I should have.

Top Bottom