What's new

Well, here we are

I'm not a very convincing newbie here, because I used a DE between 1973 -- 1982. I know for sure I was using the thing back in '82, because I stepped on it (ow!) and got a neat little triangular divot bitten out of my heel.

Fair play.

That pretty little Gillette razor was probably dragged all over Europe in the 1940s and the 50s, because it was my dad's.

OK dad, I still have the thing. There is something seriously wrong with it, though, like a distorted shaving plane.

When and why did I ever use a cartridge razor? I think that got going when I was money rich and time poor.

I'm currently using a Rockwell 6C, and having a really sleek shave off the R2 plate with an Astra.

Also enjoying a Merkur 23C. It's like the Gillette, but with a long handle, and not open comb.

Well, welcome to B&B. There are a couple of people that might be able to recommend a person to fix your Dads razor. Or at least look at it to see if its fixable.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You are gonna fit right in here. Lotsa scars from shaving in our little group, but yours is probably the only in the heel!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

I lurked for a couple of weeks, and read some tutorials ( -> Thanks to Aimless Wanderer). It's useful to review what I learned, or maybe learned wrong. I can't even remember how I got into the "hot facecloth" preparation, so that might have been a lucky case of re-inventing the wheel.

That was the way things worked, back in the 70s. Hard to imagine, these days.

Anyway, I'm getting a very acceptable shave now, without skin irritation, which wasn't the case with an M3, or its cheap clones.

Reading here is giving me a terrible case of AD, but what I need to do is use either the Rockwell or the agile Merkur for a solid month, and get my own performance sorted out.

Weirdly, I'm enjoying the cheaper Merkur more than the 6-plate Rockwell; probably because it is almost an old Gillette clone.

The razor that got me back into DE was a relatively cheap TTO, the Wilkinson Sword Classic — the metal one, not the famous black plastic 2-piece starter razor. It's probably too mild, but the ergonomics of that thing were hard to fault.

The fragile TTO mechanism is sure to get bashed up, sooner or later, but I liked the heft of the thing.

No, Daikon. I probably did more damage to it than it did to me.

The Merkur 23C is working very well with a WS blade (Only the modern sort. I ought to have some old ones left, but they might have been lost when I moved.)

I like that long handle.

I'll give this combination a week or two, and see how it goes. It's already a lot better than my M3 experience.

No, Daikon. I probably did more damage to it than it did to me.

The Merkur 23C is working very well with a WS blade (Only the modern sort. I ought to have some old ones left, but they might have been lost when I moved.)

I like that long handle.

I'll give this combination a week or two, and see how it goes. It's already a lot better than my M3 experience.
I started DE shaving with a Merkur 23C. Did well with it until I bought my first vintage, a Gillette Slim, and passed the 23C off to Miss Linda for her purposes. Probably I should get it back for a few days and shave with it now that I've had several years of shaving experience.

I found the long handle made the 23C feel more under control than the Rockwell.

There's a temptation to use a different one every day, but things got better after 2 weeks of using nothing but the 23C, and concentrating on technique.

I'm not a very convincing newbie here, because I used a DE between 1973 -- 1982. I know for sure I was using the thing back in '82, because I stepped on it (ow!) and got a neat little triangular divot bitten out of my heel.

Fair play.

That pretty little Gillette razor was probably dragged all over Europe in the 1940s and the 50s, because it was my dad's.

OK dad, I still have the thing. There is something seriously wrong with it, though, like a distorted shaving plane.

When and why did I ever use a cartridge razor? I think that got going when I was money rich and time poor.

I'm currently using a Rockwell 6C, and having a really sleek shave off the R2 plate with an Astra.

Also enjoying a Merkur 23C. It's like the Gillette, but with a long handle, and not open comb.
Welcome aboard Roedeer, great to have you here :001_smile

Top Bottom