What's new

Well [email protected] Blackbird has ruined all other razors for me!...

I was one of the early adopters of the stainless Blackbird several years back and have yet to find a razor that offers a more complete shaving experience…..until today.

I just received a satin Ti blackbird from one of our fine members and had my first shave with it this morning. I really wasn’t expecting to find it much different than my stainless version, but wowzers what a great shave. There is a difference with the Ti that’s hard to explain, but it was smoother feeling and felt a little different on my skin during the shave. The lighter weight also gave it a different feel as well.

I was skeptical about the Ti but I am sold. Fantastic razor!!

I have the same affliction. I can get a BBS feeling shave from many razors but the Blackbird makes the shadow of whiskers (within the hair follicles) disappear without the need to over shave. The BB also seems to provide a unique post shave feel. It leaves my skin super soft somehow.
My first post here, really want to chime in.

Asian with coarse, sparse beard, received my BB Ti when I have a week worth of stubble. Was nervous since I read many posts about difficult to grasp the correct angle on first few shaves, and the scary(ish) blade feel ...

I put the RK blade I used on previous 5 shaves into it, and the first flight of BB Ti is rather ... uneventful? No nicks, certainly DFS after just one pass, the blade feel is very pronounced but not really scary, and the way of my skin feeling smooth after shave is really unfamiliar to me.

Now I'm eagerly looking forward to my next shave with it.

My first post here, really want to chime in.

Asian with coarse, sparse beard, received my BB Ti when I have a week worth of stubble. Was nervous since I read many posts about difficult to grasp the correct angle on first few shaves, and the scary(ish) blade feel ...

I put the RK blade I used on previous 5 shaves into it, and the first flight of BB Ti is rather ... uneventful? No nicks, certainly DFS after just one pass, the blade feel is very pronounced but not really scary, and the way of my skin feeling smooth after shave is really unfamiliar to me.

Now I'm eagerly looking forward to my next shave with it.
My first shave with my birthday present Blackbird was the same: I got an effortless BBS with zero drama or blood. My guess is that I have muscle memory in holding a razor at the angle that the BB likes.

I took to it like a fish to water.

My incipient RAD died an early death.

(That’s not to say I don’t window shop here in the Razor Aquisition thread 😜👍🏼)

So it's been 12 months since I got my blackbird SS machined and I've gotten rid of all my other razors, except the Merkur Progress which comes out once or twice a month.

I also picked up a brass blackbird from the BST so I'm extremely happy!

The problem is that I'm so accustomed to the high efficiency, and the extreme comfort on my skin, of the blackbird that I'm kind of stuck without any other razor options.

I don't like big gap razors as they up the aggression without any extra efficiency!
The higher ones I've used are 1.55mm, and the karve F plate. I got LESS efficiency than the blackbird whilst sustaining much more skin discomfort.

So, which razors come close to the blackbird super efficiency AND comfort??

Or am I now destined to live out my life with only the blackbird?
Very late to your thread!
I read through the thread and I believe nobody has mentioned the Timeless Bronze!
You mentioned that you tried the Timeless .95 but the Timeless Bronze is totally different with a different geometry.
You said you like small blade gaps, high efficiency and smoothness. The Bronze covers all of these things for me. .38 blade gap and slight blade exposure (.05).
Incredibly smooth but still has blade feel and very efficient. It's put my other razors away since I got it last week. Extraordinary!
Just thought I'd bring it up as another contender!

Very late to your thread!
I read through the thread and I believe nobody has mentioned the Timeless Bronze!
You mentioned that you tried the Timeless .95 but the Timeless Bronze is totally different with a different geometry.
You said you like small blade gaps, high efficiency and smoothness. The Bronze covers all of these things for me. .38 blade gap and slight blade exposure (.05).
Incredibly smooth but still has blade feel and very efficient. It's put my other razors away since I got it last week. Extraordinary!
Just thought I'd bring it up as another contender!

Thank you!

I did look at the timeless bronze and the specs definitely interested me.
What turned me away were the comparisons of efficiency to other razors which I didn't find efficient enough.

Perhaps if one comes up at a good price, I may give it a shot.

Thank you!

What turned me away were the comparisons of efficiency to other razors which I didn't find efficient enough.

you can get it as a scratch and dent right now for $105 shipped with their fathers day sale…

Oh and I just purchased a brass blackbird. I blame you guys :)

Thank you!

As you already know YMMV but like I said, it's by far the most efficient razor I've tried. I'm not getting any stubble till almost 24 hours. And I've got hard whiskers that grow immediately.
And I own or have tried lots of efficient razors:
ATT Windsor, Nodachi, Stando, Ikon Tek etc..
Right now with the Father's day 10% coupon at Timeless, you can build one in the scratch and dent section for $103.50
Or non scratch and dent for $121.50
Not trying to enable, just informing 🤣

Edit: darn, I just noticed that @kaufdrop27
basically posted the same thing. Sorry!

As you already know YMMV but like I said, it's by far the most efficient razor I've tried. I'm not getting any stubble till almost 24 hours. And I've got hard whiskers that grow immediately.
Right now with the Father's day 10% coupon at Timeless, you can build one in the scratch and dent section for $103.50

Well, that does give me a lot more confidence as the ATT Windsor H was a very nice razor for my needs.

I'm outside the US so I'll have to keep an eye on my local BST. Will grab it if when one comes up.

So it's been 12 months since I got my blackbird SS machined and I've gotten rid of all my other razors, except the Merkur Progress which comes out once or twice a month.

I also picked up a brass blackbird from the BST so I'm extremely happy!

The problem is that I'm so accustomed to the high efficiency, and the extreme comfort on my skin, of the blackbird that I'm kind of stuck without any other razor options.

I don't like big gap razors as they up the aggression without any extra efficiency!
The higher ones I've used are 1.55mm, and the karve F plate. I got LESS efficiency than the blackbird whilst sustaining much more skin discomfort.

So, which razors come close to the blackbird super efficiency AND comfort??

Or am I now destined to live out my life with only the blackbird?
My wolfman wr2 in bronze with a gap of 1.05 out performs the blackbird. I like the blackbird and would not sell it, however the wolfman I love...

Well, that does give me a lot more confidence as the ATT Windsor H was a very nice razor for my needs.

I'm outside the US so I'll have to keep an eye on my local BST. Will grab it if when one comes up.
got the 10% on a timeless titanium...:001_smile

Reactions: nav

Wow, high praise for the Bronze. I had one twice....sold one and returned the other. It is a very nice razor, but I didn't find it any more efficient than my Bird, or Windsor SSRH, or Yates H. It was smooth though....just like all of Timeless offerings. I've tried all of their razors and the Bronze was the best performer for me...just not any better than my favorites I already have.

Glad it's turned out to be the right razor for you....it's awesome when you find "the one". If you like small gap and positive bade exposure, then the Blackbird is your answer. I know you don't like the looks of it, but it is one heck of a shaver. The Ti shaves slightly better for me than the SS.

got the 10% on a timeless titanium...:001_smile

I don't get on with lightweight razors as they skip and jump all over my stubble!

I like heavier razors, in the range of 90-110g.
Luckily both the SS and brass blackbirds fit in this weight range.

On another note, the timeless 95 was perhaps the biggest razor disappointment for me.
It couldn't get me smooth but still managed to cause skin irritation, perhaps due to me working too hard to get a BBS.
I sold it after one week of use!

I don't get on with lightweight razors as they skip and jump all over my stubble!

I like heavier razors, in the range of 90-110g.
Luckily both the SS and brass blackbirds fit in this weight range.

On another note, the timeless 95 was perhaps the biggest razor disappointment for me.
It couldn't get me smooth but still managed to cause skin irritation, perhaps due to me working too hard to get a BBS.
I sold it after one week of use!
I found Timeless razors similar. Beautiful to look at, super smooth shavers, but not efficient enough. I’ve tried all models and gaps and all were similar. I had the best success with the Bronze.

I found Timeless razors similar. Beautiful to look at, super smooth shavers, but not efficient enough. I’ve tried all models and gaps and all were similar. I had the best success with the Bronze.

I read your post about bronze = blackbird.

Are they actually equal?
Or do you feel the blackbird has more efficiency?

I read your post about bronze = blackbird.

Are they actually equal?
Or do you feel the blackbird has more efficiency?
Not sure what post you are referring to, but the Bird is more efficient than the Timeless Bronze….for me. I sold my bronze and use my Ti Bird for most shaves. I haven’t found a Timeless razor that competes with the Blackbird.

For me, my top performers are:
Bkackbird
Yates H
Windsor SSRH
Lambda Ares

I prefer the Ti Bird over the rest. Just something about it that checks all the boxes for me.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Not sure what post you are referring to, but the Bird is more efficient than the Timeless Bronze….for me. I sold my bronze and use my Ti Bird for most shaves. I haven’t found a Timeless razor that competes with the Blackbird.

For me, my top performers are:
Bkackbird
Yates H
Windsor SSRH
Lambda Ares

I prefer the Ti Bird over the rest. Just something about it that checks all the boxes for me.
1687294596453.gif

Wow, high praise for the Bronze. I had one twice....sold one and returned the other. It is a very nice razor, but I didn't find it any more efficient than my Bird, or Windsor SSRH, or Yates H. It was smooth though....just like all of Timeless offerings. I've tried all of their razors and the Bronze was the best performer for me...just not any better than my favorites I already have.

Glad it's turned out to be the right razor for you....it's awesome when you find "the one". If you like small gap and positive bade exposure, then the Blackbird is your answer. I know you don't like the looks of it, but it is one heck of a shaver. The Ti shaves slightly better for me than the SS.
So far I have two Timeless. The Bronze with both baseplates and the .68 OC in stainless. So far I love them both. Plenty of efficiency for me but understand that others want more. My aim is never BBS since I shave daily. I'm happy with a DFS that lasts me through the workday and both of those razors deliver.
As for the Blackbird, I'm simply never gonna get one. You already know why, Lol!!
But as you might have read, I did finally order a Yates 921. As machined stainless, H plate, solid bar and 3.5" handle. It's getting built though so it should be a couple of weeks before I receive it. I guess comparatively it would be the closest thing to a Blackbird since they seem to rival on efficiency & shave similarity. But I actually like the way the Yates looks! We'll see how it goes when it arrives.
In other news, I did receive a different Blackland today. The GEM Sabre level I in the polished finish.
And also in the mail today was the stainless Karve with the SB G plate and OC B plate and 4" handle. Something totally different to try in the next few days.

Top Bottom