What's new

Weleda AS Balm and St. Charles Dagger AS Milk

I recently acquired both of these products and find them exceptional to use. I like to give a splash of AS and then hydrate with one of these products as my go to post shave ritual. First a review of Weleda followed by a review of St. Charles.

The Weleda smell is sort of medicinal meets essential oil myrrh/sandalwood/frankincense kind of a thing. It is probably not a panty dropper, but I am a married man, so, no loss there. While it might not be alluring, it is pleasant to my nose and not overbearing, nor longlasting, both pluses for me.

The performance is where this stuff shines. The lotion feels wet as I massage it onto my face, but absorbs quickly and leaves the face feeling toned, tingly, and comfortable. I have had some razor burn the last couple shaves, and this has really helped calm things down.

Packaging is nice and the bottle is large(compared to the St Charles AS Milk I got recently, about double in size and price, so par for the course). Price is around $14.00 for 3.4oz on amazon.

Ingredients are as I stated before, organic and biodynamic and straightforward which goes a long way in my book, if for no better reasons than the way the land is treated using these practices and there aren't any harsh chemicals not intended for human consumption(make no mistake, rubbing something all over your skin absorbs directly into the blood stream without any filter of digestion first).

The St. Charles, while not organic or biodynamic, has straightforward ingredients that I am comfortable applying to my face. The smell is a bit of a cologne smell, but again not overpowering though longer lasting than Weleda. I find it pairs well with Strop Shoppe Baker St.

On the performance front, I put this just behind the Weleda. The moisturizing properties are on par with each other, as both hydrate the skin very well. The St. Charles does not have quite the same calming and soothing effect though it is very nice to my face, to be sure.

Packaging is a simple yet elegant glass bottle with a nice lid. The price is US$8.50 for 2oz.
Neither of these is inexpensive compared to say Nivea Sensitive AS Balm(US$7 for 3.3oz almost half price) which seems highly rated around these parts, but for my money and their performance, I think they are worth every penny.

Thanks for the review. I tried Weleda a while back but wasn't convinced by it. Can't remember what I did with the bottle in the end. What do you mean by "biodynamic"?

From the website www.biodynamics.com:

"Biodynamic farmers strive to create a diversified, balanced farm ecosystem that generates health and fertility as much as possible from within the farm itself. Preparations made from fermented manure, minerals and herbs are used to help restore and harmonize the vital life forces of the farm and to enhance the nutrition, quality and flavor of the food being raised. Biodynamic practitioners also recognize and strive to work in cooperation with the subtle influences of the wider cosmos on soil, plant and animal health."

It is a farming practice that came out of the philosophy of Rudolf Steiner in the early 20th century. He was a proponent of science led by intuition and spirit. He felt that a purely mechanistic view of science and the universe would ultimately lead to destruction as it did nothing to nurture or value life.

Do I practice biodynamics? No. Am I an anthroposophist? Maybe, but I don't know enough about it. I do think that people who put that much care and attention into their farms are getting great results and I am more than happy to support their efforts.

Top Bottom