What's new

Welcome to The Nib: A PIF

As I'm sure many of you are, I'm very excited to see a new section of the forum dedicated to writing instruments and paraphernalia. To help kick things off, I want to offer up a modest PIF in hopes of getting more people interested in fountain pens and writing with them.

*Mods: If it's too early for something like this or PIFs aren't allowed in this forum, just smack me on the head and delete this*

To any of you who have seen some of my BST listings, this will be familiar. If not, just see for yourselves:

proxy.php

Note my ultra-sophisticated pen stand...a pipe rack that I acquired for the princely sum of one dollar and fifty cents.

In case you're still confused, it's a black Hero 616 fountain pen with FOUR 4 mL samples of Noodler's ink: Black (bulletproof), Blue, Tiananmen (a deep red), and #41 Brown (also bulletproof). The Hero 616 pens are generally considered to be fairly good fountain pens for a great price. They're Chinese clones of the iconic Parker 51 fountain pen. I am personally a big fan of Noodler's inks and thus am including them as samples in the PIF. Be careful though...the "bulletproof" inks WILL NOT come off of clothing or other cloth/carpet surfaces.

Before writing with these pens, I like to ink them, write with them, and flush them out. From there I take them apart and adjust the nibs/feeds to they line up perfectly. Then I apply silicone grease to the section threads (those closest to the nib) to prevent ink leakages. I think they really turn into great pens once they're tuned up!

While not included in the picture, I am also including TEN sheets of HP Bright White Inkjet 24 lb printer paper. The line that the Hero lays down should be fine enough to avoid feathering issues on cheap paper, but there's nothing quite like writing on a sheet of thick, smooth paper. I'll be folding the sheets in half in order to make them easier to ship.

On to the part you really care about...how do you win it? Just post something expressing your interest in this thread to be entered in the drawing. It can be something cheesy like "The pen is mightier than the sword" or something simple like "I'm in." I'll keep this running until next Friday (July 1st). From there I'll use a random number generator to choose the winner.

The only requirement I ask if that you only enter if you've never used a fountain pen before. That's it! Good luck!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a pen that's waiting for the mailman to bring my first shipment of ink. I'm comtemplating filling it with blood in the interim, so I'm in.

Thanks really great of you, Matt! (Do not put me on the list! I have plenty of everything right now. More than I can even fairly test!)

Im in I have been seeing pen stuff around here and it has made me think about picking up another vice!

A great start to what should be a wonderful addition to B&B! I've already got pens, so don't put me in!

Last edited:
I've considered a FP ever since I found B&B and saw the discussions. Seems to fit with where I am at in life. Trying to simplify while upgrading. I'd rather have one good pen that I always know where it is rather than 2 dozen of these cheap Bic disposables that are scattered all over yet I can't ever find one that works. Thanks for the generous offer. I'm in.

Last edited:
Never tried tried or owned a real fountain pen, only one of the cheap ink cartridge type many years ago.

I'd like to be in if this also goes international.

strop

Now half as wise
I certainly don't qualify, but wanted to add that this is a very nice way to get started and a very generous PIF.

Mark

I'm in! I can't afford to even drool over anything until after school starts. I didn't know fountain pens existed until a few months ago. (I'm so glad they made this forum! Now I can skulk in here.)

never used a FP before, and it was real obvious , specifically this week when i was doing some on-paper revisions and draft memos, that my handwriting has declined with the enormous amount of emailing and keyboard clickety-clacking at my desk job..

i'd love to try one and thanks for the opportunity.

Top Bottom