What's new

Welcome, New Guys Come Say hello

Wow, no new guys for a while. I just got a Pilot Metro in the classic black as my first fountain pen for my birthday a few weeks ago. I wanted to have it on hand for using on handwritten thank you notes, birthday cards, and things like that. After playing with it for a while (and refreshing my cursive skills that were dormant) I think I might use them more often.

Welcome to The NIB! If you are interested in trying some other pens out, we have a pass around going on right now.
2018 pen pass around

I'm a noobie to this Badger & Blade Forum and am living in rural North Arkansas. I have been using cheap fountain pens for years & still have a couple of $2.98 Shaeffer cartridge pens from the 1970's. But, decided to become an ersatz collector, and have been picking up better quality pens when I can find them used for pennies on the dollar.

I have a lot to learn, though, so I'm sure to make all the obligatory beginner gaffs! Best deal I made though, was an antique Moore L-94 that I picked up at a yard sale for $3. Dip tested it, and it writes nicely...lever & bar work fine, but the sac is toast, and the hard rubber black body is oxidized to an olive color. Sent it to Rick Horne in GA (recommended by a friend) to be refurbished.

I just joined B&B because I just started learning how to shave with a shavette, and I'm delighted to find there's a fountain pen forum here as well!

I started my fountain pen journey as a way to deal with a rather bad downturn in my depression back in November 2016, finding it a great comfort to dive into learning a new art. Specifically, learning Arrighi's cursive italic hand from his Operina.

I have four pens; started with a Nemosine Singularity which I found too balky (turns out that was due to the cheap ink I was using). Moved on to a Lamy Joy and a Lamy Safari for my daily workhorse pens, and this year decided to upgrade to a Franklin-Christoph Marietta 20 with a hand-finished Matsuyama broad italic nib.

Broke my hand in a fall last spring, which resulted in a long hiatus in my lettering practice, and am just now returning to it. Lost quite a bit of ground, so I'm going back to the Operina to refresh the basics.

Looking forward to learning more, and hearing about other folks' experiences!

For those who are as dumb as me, Balky = awkward and uncoperative

Great to hear from you, you have an intersting selection in pens there, especially Mike M's broad itallic. I am always envious of people who get the most out an itallic, being someone who writes fast, and in cursive and has a bad habit of rotating the pen through 30 degrees anticlockwise as I write. Itallics behave like a farmers plough in my hands.

Something that you may have missed is some of the quality chinese pens, especially the Jinhao 159, X750 and X450. All very low cost, well made, good looking and reliable. Less than $5 delivered.

Its a good pen community on here, enjoy every word.

For those who are as dumb as me, Balky = awkward and uncoperative

Great to hear from you, you have an intersting selection in pens there, especially Mike M's broad itallic. I am always envious of people who get the most out an itallic, being someone who writes fast, and in cursive and has a bad habit of rotating the pen through 30 degrees anticlockwise as I write. Itallics behave like a farmers plough in my hands.

Something that you may have missed is some of the quality chinese pens, especially the Jinhao 159, X750 and X450. All very low cost, well made, good looking and reliable. Less than $5 delivered.

Its a good pen community on here, enjoy every word.

Thanks! I'll have a look at those.

One of the reasons I chose italic is because my handwriting used to be horrible, because I tried to write at the speed I was thinking. The discipline of the italic hand is that it sorta reverses that to "think at the speed of lettering", by which I don't mean thinking slowly of course but giving your thoughts more time reflect and consider while writing, which was a very different experience than I was used to.

That being said, I do hope to develop a faster hand without losing form. Still have a long ways to go!

hello new person to badger and blade, finally made an account after remembering about this website again. I was on theshaveden when I started my journey in 2012 and just kinda fell out of being active on forums.

My current pen rotations include
- bruteforcedesign seaglass with a broad nib
- 2 osprey milanos [one with a goulet ef nib and one with osprey m nib]
- woodshed pen co blue and yellow confetti demo with a 1.5 nib
- penbbs 355 smog with a f nib [ i broke it since i didnt read the instructions on filling so i just turned it into a huge eyedropper]
- jinhao mother of pearl [ i forget what the model # is]
- twsbi eco-t in that green yellow color

Looking try out
- franklin christoph and some of there speciality nibs
- brooks pen
- maybe something with a gold nib

hello new person to badger and blade, finally made an account after remembering about this website again. I was on theshaveden when I started my journey in 2012 and just kinda fell out of being active on forums.

My current pen rotations include...

Sounds like a nice collection! I definitely love my F-C.

My name is Laura, and I joined Badger & Blade since I'm making the switch from irritation and cuts with cartridge razors to an enjoyable shaving experience with wet shaving, which I learnt is what women did in the past, as well as men.

I've been using fountain pens since 1981, starting with cheap cartridge pens. Later, I acquired some nice vintage and modern pens (converter, lever fill, piston fill, and crescent fill). I own about 40 pens, mostly modern, but about five vintage pens.

Besides wet shaving and writing with fountain pens, I also enjoy analogue stereo gear (turntable, valve phono preamp, valve power amp).

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome Laura.

I am also new to shaving with a safety razor after years with cartridge Mach3, it is a much better shaving experience, there is a strong connection between taking your time in using a fountain pen and a good razor.

Enjoy your time here in learning from the wealth of knowledge on the Forum

Hello and welcome Laura.

I am also new to shaving with a safety razor after years with cartridge Mach3, it is a much better shaving experience, there is a strong connection between taking your time in using a fountain pen and a good razor.

Enjoy your time here in learning from the wealth of knowledge on the Forum
Thanks for the kind greeting. [emoji846] I like your username. [emoji3580] I don't have a Parker Vacumatic, but I have a 51.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
My name is Laura, and I joined Badger & Blade since I'm making the switch from irritation and cuts with cartridge razors to an enjoyable shaving experience with wet shaving, which I learnt is what women did in the past, as well as men.

I've been using fountain pens since 1981, starting with cheap cartridge pens. Later, I acquired some nice vintage and modern pens (converter, lever fill, piston fill, and crescent fill). I own about 40 pens, mostly modern, but about five vintage pens.

Besides wet shaving and writing with fountain pens, I also enjoy analogue stereo gear (turntable, valve phono preamp, valve power amp).

Welcome Laura! I look forward to your contributions on the forum, both on wetshaving and fountain pens.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.

proxy.php

Welcome Laura! Recent newcomer myself. Just yesterday I was wondering if any women used a straight to shave their legs, and now I know. :)

Interesting that so many folks who like straight-razor shaving are also into fountain pens!

Top Bottom