What's new

Welcome, New Guys Come Say hello

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I can’t speak for all the Mods, but this Mod likes all types of pens. Nice pens that you turned and thanks for sharing them with us.

This hobby seems to be just as quick to snowball as razors, outdoors stuff, and the brown leaf haha. I dove head first and ordered a pilot metropolitan with the fine nib. Also... some different jinhao pens to try out. Such reasonable prices I couldn't resisted grabbing a few (alot 🤣). Now I gotta find some ink to feed them and figure out what to even write with them lol. Probably never gave pens a thought because I have never really felt like I had anything important to write. Probably going to be looking for anyway I can to use these in the future 🤣👍.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Thanks a bunch! Going to dive in an give fountain pens a try I think. Been doing a little research and heard those models mentioned before. Going to do some hunting haha. Is ink readily available locally from a normal office supply store?

Really enjoying the pen turning as well. Already scoped out some fountain pen kits haha.

Thanks again for the welcome!
You're very welcome. Yes, I have seen fountain pen ink cartridges at Staples and Office Depot. Cross, Pilot, Parker, Sheaffer, and Waterman, from what I recall. I believe that Waterman is only one that uses the international standard, so is most likely to fit in a pen kit. Of course, you'll find a lot more online and at better prices. For bottled ink, Staples has Parker Quink on-line, but I've never seen it at a store. You could ask about it. Again, online the world is your oyster. Soooo much ink to choose from. One thing to watch out for - don't use india ink or calligraphy ink, like you might see at arts and crafts stores. That is not good for fountain pens. Fountain pen ink will literally say "fountain pen" on the bottle or at least the description.

You're very welcome. Yes, I have seen fountain pen ink cartridges at Staples and Office Depot. Cross, Pilot, Parker, Sheaffer, and Waterman, from what I recall. I believe that Waterman is only one that uses the international standard, so is most likely to fit in a pen kit. Of course, you'll find a lot more online and at better prices. For bottled ink, Staples has Parker Quink on-line, but I've never seen it at a store. You could ask about it. Again, online the world is your oyster. Soooo much ink to choose from. One thing to watch out for - don't use india ink or calligraphy ink, like you might see at arts and crafts stores. That is not good for fountain pens. Fountain pen ink will literally say "fountain pen" on the bottle or at least the description.

Cool! Sounds like I'm going to have to make an online order then... 😁. Thanks a bunch for the help!

Many art supply stores also carry fountain pens, so if you have one nearby you can check, and see if they have inks to go along with them. If they carry Pilot's, they will most likely also carry Pilot bottled inks.

Popping in to say hello! I know this is an old thread but I joined b&b a few weeks ago and thought I'd introduce myself here.
Hi. I'm Mike. I got into fountain pens a year and a half ago. Had to relearn cursive so I found a script I liked and practiced for three months solid. Now, I love it. I have a little collection going, with a metro, two twsbi Eco's, a Faber-Castell e-motion, lamy safari, lamy studio, & a kaweco sport. Always on the lookout for a few more! I'm hooked on rhodia no16 top-bound a5 lined pads. Hooked! Glad to be here.

Sent from my SM-A205G using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Popping in to say hello! I know this is an old thread but I joined b&b a few weeks ago and thought I'd introduce myself here.
Hi. I'm Mike. I got into fountain pens a year and a half ago. Had to relearn cursive so I found a script I liked and practiced for three months solid. Now, I love it. I have a little collection going, with a metro, two twsbi Eco's, a Faber-Castell e-motion, lamy safari, lamy studio, & a kaweco sport. Always on the lookout for a few more! I'm hooked on rhodia no16 top-bound a5 lined pads. Hooked! Glad to be here.

Sent from my SM-A205G using Tapatalk
Welcome! Solid collection there. Gold nib next?

Good evening, it is night here in UK after all. My name is Marco. I joined the forum as I've seen you guys know a lot about fountain pens. I've started using these pens when I was in the army, as well as smoking the pipe. I have quite a few pens in my roster, Parker, Waterman, Sheaffer's, Omas, Mont Blanc. Some new and some vintage, pre 1940
I'm into railway modelling as well when I do not travel for work, which I do quite a lot all over Europe and Middle East. Nice meeting you. Marco

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Good evening, it is night here in UK after all. My name is Marco. I joined the forum as I've seen you guys know a lot about fountain pens. I've started using these pens when I was in the army, as well as smoking the pipe. I have quite a few pens in my roster, Parker, Waterman, Sheaffer's, Omas, Mont Blanc. Some new and some vintage, pre 1940
I'm into railway modelling as well when I do not travel for work, which I do quite a lot all over Europe and Middle East. Nice meeting you. Marco
Warm greetings from the Nib and welcome to B&B!
Sorry to hear about the Vacumatic, hopefully you'll get it back together, Marco.

Ok well, hi.

I'm thinking of investing in a good pen for work. I work in a packaging warehouse and the pen would need to keep up with my rather hyperactive tendencies. I'm looking in the sub-$30 range.

Mostly it would be simple time/date/initial stuff, but up to 200 times per day. I'm ok with keeping some ink in my locker, but refills would need to be quick.

Normally, I prefer a Pilot G2 in a 0.7. I'd like something comparable. I have a nice Wearever that I rebuilt, but it needs a nib rather desperately. I don't really know enough to get the proper nib.

Anyhow, that's the story of my wanting a nice pen for work.

Ok well, hi.

I'm thinking of investing in a good pen for work. I work in a packaging warehouse and the pen would need to keep up with my rather hyperactive tendencies. I'm looking in the sub-$30 range.

Mostly it would be simple time/date/initial stuff, but up to 200 times per day. I'm ok with keeping some ink in my locker, but refills would need to be quick.

Normally, I prefer a Pilot G2 in a 0.7. I'd like something comparable. I have a nice Wearever that I rebuilt, but it needs a nib rather desperately. I don't really know enough to get the proper nib.

Anyhow, that's the story of my wanting a nice pen for work.
welcome! i'm a big fan of twsbi eco...it's an inexpensive pen with a large ink reservoir...love it!

Sub $30, i think a Kaweco Sport might be worth looking into...if ever you were able to swing something more in the $75 to $100 range, i would look on Amazon or Ebay for a steel nib Pilot Vanishing Point.

Generally the 18k nib Vanishing Point can be bought from U.S. sellers for $125 to $150. However, Japanese vendors regularly have steel nibbed ones available on Amazon or Ebay in the range of $75.

I think you would really like a Vanishing Point based on how you described your pen usage.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sub $30, i think a Kaweco Sport might be worth looking into...if ever you were able to swing something more in the $75 to $100 range, i would look on Amazon or Ebay for a steel nib Pilot Vanishing Point.

Generally the 18k nib Vanishing Point can be bought from U.S. sellers for $125 to $150. However, Japanese vendors regularly have steel nibbed ones available on Amazon or Ebay in the range of $75.

I think you would really like a Vanishing Point based on how you described your pen usage.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Now, THAT might just have to be budgeted! What a great looking pen. I love the metal body, and retractable is pretty well exactly what the doctor ordered. That, and the horse tranquilizers...

An update, I ordered a Jinhao x450 and their knockoff Lamy Safari. I used Ali and got a coupon. I paid $2. Woot! I figure I can dip my toe into the rabbit hole and not be in the poorhouse.

In the mean time, I need to get my Wearever straightened out and practice!!!

Top Bottom