What's new

Welcome, New Guys Come Say hello

Welcome Laura! Recent newcomer myself. Just yesterday I was wondering if any women used a straight to shave their legs, and now I know. :)

Interesting that so many folks who like straight-razor shaving are also into fountain pens!
Thanks to both of you.

Not a straight, a double edge.

I was given a gift of a Waterman Phileas pair (fountain pen and regular pen) some years ago, but after an unsatisfactory initial experience with the fountain pen, I forgot about them.

I got them out again yesterday, went to a store near me to get them in good working order once more, and now I'm really into them.

I was given a gift of a Waterman Phileas pair (fountain pen and regular pen) some years ago, but after an unsatisfactory initial experience with the fountain pen, I forgot about them.

I got them out again yesterday, went to a store near me to get them in good working order once more, and now I'm really into them.

The Phileas is much sought after, at the time production stopped it was selling for under $25, mint examples now go for around $60. They are a nice pen to use, hope that you enjoy it.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.

proxy.php

The Phileas is much sought after, at the time production stopped it was selling for under $25, mint examples now go for around $60. They are a nice pen to use, hope that you enjoy it.
I have a Phileas that I haven't used in many years. This inspires me to add it to my rotation again. [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well hello Nib members. I've been on B&B for a while but never on Nib until now.

We were required to use a FP in junior high school in the 1960's. I guess the teachers didn't want it to die out or something. We all used the Schaeffer cartridge FP's then.

Now, after a few decades of not using one, I've decided to give it another go. To that end, I have a Pilot Petit1 and a 3-pak of Pilot Varsity's on order. We'll see how it goes.

I might add that I really miss my Parker 45 from back then. BP, and the whole cap moved to click the point in or out. If only...

The Varsity's arrived. I am pleasantly surprised at how easily I picked it up and wrote with them.

My handwriting stinks! It stinks with a ball point, too. Guess I need to practice. I have spent several decades typing at up to 70 WPM.

Since I was in second grade in 1962, would that indicate the Palmer method was what I learned on?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
The Varsity's arrived. I am pleasantly surprised at how easily I picked it up and wrote with them.

My handwriting stinks! It stinks with a ball point, too. Guess I need to practice. I have spent several decades typing at up to 70 WPM.

Since I was in second grade in 1962, would that indicate the Palmer method was what I learned on?
Sweet! Welcome back to the analog side.

The varsity really is one of the great deals that you can get in the fountain pen world.

Welcome to the Nib!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Petit1 arrived today. I'm really not sure I'm going to continue with this one. It writes a little more rough than the Varsity -- maybe because it writes a bit finer -- and I have the idea it might leak. The place where the cartridge fits the nib doesn't look like it fits quite right and it looks to me like a piece got broken off, quite likely by my ham fistedness. It also feels a bit awkward to me because of how short the pen is.

I assume the Varsity is a medium point and the Petit1 is a fine.

I had the idea of using the Varsity to make notes in my Bible so I made a test dot. It bled through! These pages aren't quite onion skin but going that way. For now I'll use a pencil. Lightly.

tankerjohn

The Petit1 arrived today. I'm really not sure I'm going to continue with this one. It writes a little more rough than the Varsity -- maybe because it writes a bit finer -- and I have the idea it might leak. The place where the cartridge fits the nib doesn't look like it fits quite right and it looks to me like a piece got broken off, quite likely by my ham fistedness. It also feels a bit awkward to me because of how short the pen is.

I assume the Varsity is a medium point and the Petit1 is a fine.

I had the idea of using the Varsity to make notes in my Bible so I made a test dot. It bled through! These pages aren't quite onion skin but going that way. For now I'll use a pencil. Lightly.
For making notes in a Bible, may I recommend Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Register's Ink? Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink Blue-Black With Iron-Gall - http://www.registrarsink.co.uk/

It is an archival-quality iron gall ink that will perform well on thin paper. And, really, for you can't beat its progeny for a bibliological pursuit.

Guys! Hello!

I'm not new to B&B, though it's been quite a while since I darkened these halls...
This used to be where I spent a lot of my time when I was learning about things shaving. But then I managed to acquire an endgame razor, and I stopped spending so much time here.

Fast forward a few years, and a fountain pen habit has developed. To be honest, I totally forgot that this FP forum was here, and I was really happy to re-discover the place.

I've had this fountain pen addiction for a few months now, long enough to spend way too much money on it. The same story, just a different set of characters.

Howdy! First time posting here in the nib 👍. Honestly I never gave pens much thought until recently. I've become curious about the different types and styles. I know absolutely nothing about fountain pens. Very interested in learning though. Always thought they were neat!

Are regular pens welcome in the nib as well? Recently my father gave me a small mini lathe. I turned my first two pens yesterday 😁👍. Been looking at kits and fountain pen kits to maybe make my own. After I learn a little more about them of course.

Thanks a bunch for such a interesting forum! It will help me learn about fountain pens and their use 👍. Here are my first two pens I turned. Had a blast and going to be turning many many more. Both are cocobolo wood with a ca finish.

20200226_154514.jpg

20200226_172732.jpg

tankerjohn

Welcome @Ponycarman! I won’t pretend to speak for the mods, but in my opinion, all writing instruments are welcome here. It just happens that fountain pen people tend to be the most passionate. Those are beautiful pens you’ve turned. I don’t know much about fountain pen kits, but I understand that there are a lot of cheap ones out there that probably don’t have the best nibs. For me, a quality nib would be my primary consideration for a good kit. I would recommend getting your feet wet with a well regarded steel nibbed fountain pen like the Pilot Metro or Lamy Safari. But feel free to enjoy the hobby any way you like.

Welcome @Ponycarman! I won’t pretend to speak for the mods, but in my opinion, all writing instruments are welcome here. It just happens that fountain pen people tend to be the most passionate. Those are beautiful pens you’ve turned. I don’t know much about fountain pen kits, but I understand that there are a lot of cheap ones out there that probably don’t have the best nibs. For me, a quality nib would be my primary consideration for a good kit. I would recommend getting your feet wet with a well regarded steel nibbed fountain pen like the Pilot Metro or Lamy Safari. But feel free to enjoy the hobby any way you like.

Thanks a bunch! Going to dive in an give fountain pens a try I think. Been doing a little research and heard those models mentioned before. Going to do some hunting haha. Is ink readily available locally from a normal office supply store?

Really enjoying the pen turning as well. Already scoped out some fountain pen kits haha.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Top Bottom