What's new

Welcome, New Guys Come Say hello

I got a new Jin Hao pen today. I got Handy Art Black Velvet waterproof India Ink at Hobby lobby. I'm looking for that ink that has an ink cup near the top so you can tip the bottle and have ink near the top. I found it. It's called a tilt-and-fill bottle.

The top half is the fountain pen. The bottom is a Bic Round Stick.

1662515134223.jpeg

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I got a new Jin Hao pen today. I got Handy Art Black Velvet waterproof India Ink at Hobby lobby. I'm looking for that ink that has an ink cup near the top so you can tip the bottle and have ink near the top. I found it. It's called a tilt-and-fill bottle.

The top half is the fountain pen. The bottom is a Bic Round Stick.

View attachment 1518434
Uh oh, I hope you're not using the India drawing ink in a fountain pen. That doesn't go so well.
If you are, I'd get it out of there ASAP.

Congrats on the acquisitions! Happy to hear you may get that Sheaffer ink bottle.

Uh oh, I hope you're not using the India drawing ink in a fountain pen. That doesn't go so well.
If you are, I'd get it out of there ASAP.

Congrats on the acquisitions! Happy to hear you may get that Sheaffer ink bottle.
Thanks for the warning. What does it do to the pen? I've written about 4,000 words with it already. Anyway, I ordered some Shaffer ink today.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Thanks for the warning. What does it do to the pen?
It clogs the pen, it's meant for dip pens.
Many contain shellac, as it dries up in the ink feed it thickens and gums up the passage.
You may have to clean with Rapido-Eze but that solution may well cost more than a Jin Hao.
I bought a newish Pelikan M400 for cheap because the owner clogged it up beyond belief.
Spent days soaking and hours on that project!

I hope you dumped it already!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Many contain shellac, as it dries up in the ink feed it thickens and gums up the passage.
You may have to clean with Rapido-Eze but that solution may well cost more than a Jin Hao.
I bought a newish Pelikan M400 for cheap because the owner clogged it up beyond belief.

This!!!!! Oh goodness, only use fountain pen ink in fountain pens!

Thanks for the advice. Fortunately, the ink is water-based. Gluten free! too. I dumped it. It's not the end of the world if I ruined the pen. It was only $9.59.

I'm amazed at how many words I was able to write with one fill. Close to 10,000 and it still had ink left.

New guy to the Nib.

I'm retired (after 35 years split between engineering and technical writing) and have always enjoyed writing. Recently I've noticed that when I grab any pen and write, it feels alien to me, as I haven't needed to write much in the last five years or so.

Bills are paid online, communication is all electronic, etc, so I decided to get a fountain pen and start writing my rambling thoughts on paper, rather than using my Samsung tablet. I figure it is good for manual dexterity, and for keeping focus on what matters to me.

After reading here a bit I have already purchased a Pilot Metro and bottle of Pilot ink. I wanted a back up (one is none) and couldn't decide between a TWSBI Eco or Lamy Safari. I ordered the Lamy, and it should be here today, along with a couple Black & Red hard-cover notebooks.

As fate would have it, I just saw a TWSBI Eco in the BST, and am buying that as well...

So, I will soon have the "Big 3" (to me) of beginner fountain pens, and plan to begin writing in earnest today.

Welcome, I own all three of those pens and they all are good value and great performance for the price.

Top Bottom