What's new

Welcome home old boy

I just bought this wade and butcher razor from a guy in America. He tells me he dates it around 1870.
F8C9A561-7B76-434E-815B-C4A502482897.jpeg
59520867-97D8-4C60-97D8-00B46D2DEC45.jpeg

It would have been forged here, 2 hours up the road from me in Sheffield England, then packaged and sent by steam ship from Liverpool (no planes then)3000 miles across the cold Atlantic Ocean.
Edward VII was the king of England, Ulysses S. Grant was president of the US.
Claude Monet was painting the Beach at Trouville, Jules Verne was finishing Around the World in Eighty Days and a 19 year old Doc Holiday left had just left home for Philadelphia.
The phonograph, telephone, and electric light bulb would all be invented during this decade though it would take several more decades before they became household items.
So these were the times this razor was born into.
It had a 150 year stay in America, 2 lifetimes, and now, finally, it’s made the return trip to England.
Across the Atlantic again, this time by air, landing once again in the city of Liverpool to be delivered to me.
Its a 7/8th near wedge with a pretty smile.
It’s in great condition, still looks like new, a testament to a bygone era when things were really built to last.
Today it gave me just as perfect a shave as it no doubt gave it’s original owner a century and a half ago.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
That one is lovely as well. I think a bit older, probably 1820-30ish

Thank you for the dates. I was thinking 1815 - 1825 based on the shape of the tail and the plain lettering, but we’re close enough.

Oh, mine also has wedge-less scales, that might help date it?

I just bought this wade and butcher razor from a guy in America. He tells me he dates it around 1870.
View attachment 1362321View attachment 1362322
It would have been forged here, 2 hours up the road from me in Sheffield England, then packaged and sent by steam ship from Liverpool (no planes then)3000 miles across the cold Atlantic Ocean.
Edward VII was the king of England, Ulysses S. Grant was president of the US.
Claude Monet was painting the Beach at Trouville, Jules Verne was finishing Around the World in Eighty Days and a 19 year old Doc Holiday left had just left home for Philadelphia.
The phonograph, telephone, and electric light bulb would all be invented during this decade though it would take several more decades before they became household items.
So these were the times this razor was born into.
It had a 150 year stay in America, 2 lifetimes, and now, finally, it’s made the return trip to England.
Across the Atlantic again, this time by air, landing once again in the city of Liverpool to be delivered to me.
Its a 7/8th near wedge with a pretty smile.
It’s in great condition, still looks like new, a testament to a bygone era when things were really built to last.
Today it gave me just as perfect a shave as it no doubt gave it’s original owner a century and a half ago.
classic and well stated.

thay just don't make them like that anymore!!!!

camo

Top Bottom